• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ow! Owowowowowow! (Very large images, as I haven't been able to resize them yet!)

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I should probably pre-face this by pleading with everyone not to laugh- but I'm not sure if I could keep from doing so, so I won't charge you with such a task.

With the birthday gifts from my dad, stepmom and grandma, I was able to get a digital camera- something that I've been hoping to get for awhile. I went out into the yard this afternoon, delighted that I could finally take some pictures of my goose friend Rocko and his 'tribe' for my RF friends! (For those that don't know, Rocko is a goose that I became buddies with when my family moved to the farmhouse we rent.)

Something that didn't quite register until now is that the geese have, indeed, formed a pack mentality. Instead of the usual good-natured honking that usually accompanies me visiting with the geese, they started to spread out toward me.

000_0012.jpg

I thought nothing of this and continued to sit on the ground, happily aiming the camera at the little flock. Something odd happened, though. One of the female geese stopped hissing at me and headed toward me, beak-first. (It's the one on the right.)

000_0013.jpg

The goose in question began to flap her wings. She was about to fly! I was so excited! My next picture on the camera does not portray this, though.

000_0014.jpg

As near as I can determine, this was when the 'take picture' button got pressed accidently- most likely due to the goose being in the process of hopping on my lap and mildly concussing me with its wing. Thankfully, I don't have a very clear memory of this happening, as those brain cells seem to have been knocked out of my head.

This is mainly to tell everyone that if my posts start changing in nature within the next few days, please PM me to go to the ER, as I might have suffered some brain damamage.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Oh dear! I'm glad you didn't break anything, Meggie... Geese have strong wings. Other than bruised dignity, are you okay?

I wonder why they attacked you, though. Perhaps they were scared of the camera?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I didn't hear anything crack, so I think I'm okay. Thanks for your concern, though! :hug: I'm afraid I've got no dignity to bruise, though! I was mostly just laughing at my own silliness for getting into that situation.

I'm pretty sure that four newer geese wouldn't need any excuse to throw themselves at me. (Though it may have been the camera.) They don't know me nearly as well as Rocko does, so I imagine it was a territorial/ power thing. I really hope it wasn't out of fear- I would hate to cause that. :(

ayani

FeathersinHair said:
Believe me, I didn't intend for them to be! :D

i know, i know.

still, it's pretty great. if only they hadn't started beating you, it would have been better. ow.

evearael

I'm glad you are alright! That ranks right up with my sister's friend getting chased by an angry zebra (NEVER pet a zebra while he's sleeping). Perhaps next time bring offerings of food to placate them.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I think they're beyond placating. If they were human teens, they'd be gathering by the streetcorner and smoking cigarettes, s******ing and making lewd comments at people who pass by!

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Your camera takes great pictures! :D

Did you scrape yourself up? I hope you can make friends with them....geese can be mean though. Bring treats for bribing.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I used to be friends with Rocko. (He was convinced I was his mate for awhile there.) The others are even less tame than he is, so I don't think I'll revisit them up-close any time soon. :D

OOooo! I forgot to tell you, but I love your new avatar!

Booko

Deviled Hen
FeathersinHair said:
I'm pretty sure that four newer geese wouldn't need any excuse to throw themselves at me. (Though it may have been the camera.) They don't know me nearly as well as Rocko does, so I imagine it was a territorial/ power thing. I really hope it wasn't out of fear- I would hate to cause that. :(

OMG! When a goose sticks her/his neck straight out at you like that, that's a sign they're ready for attack!

And whatever you do, do NOT turn your back on said geese, or you sure will find out what it means to be "goosed"!

I love geese, but they sure can be some mean beasties!

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
FeathersinHair said:
One of the female geese stopped hissing at me and headed toward me, beak-first.

Feathers , hissing IS NOT usually a good sign . :) And yes , geese are very much a " flock " animal . Picking order and all of that . An order where you will have to fit into , one way or the other . I would advise that this may be a good time to show your Tigress side ? :)

I am glad that you were not harmed .

Ravens tend to puff their feathers when they are excited . Like the geese with their necks stretched out low like the first picture . When a Raven does that , I tend to address it right away . Usually by making fun of " fluffy head " as I call them . Now Ravens aren't as dangerous as geese , but the thing is , you have to read them , and act accordingly . Now I'm not going to tell you now to react , but I think that gaining your feet may be a good idea ... ;)

I'm sorry Feathers . But I really do love stories like this . It is all a part of learning . But do be careful . Those wings can break bones . And those beaks hurt too ... that I can say from experience .

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
So you really had feathers in your hair, eh? I am glad you were able to wing it. It is my pinion that you were quite lucky to escape with only ruffled feathers. I am glad this flap is over and that you are mending well. If it were me, his goose would have been cooked! :D

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
NetDoc said:
So you really had feathers in your hair, eh? I am glad you were able to wing it. It is my pinion that you were quite lucky to escape with only ruffled feathers. I am glad this flap is over and that you are mending well. If it were me, his goose would have been cooked! :D

:hug: *gigglesnortgigglesnortgigglesnort* Your puns have been missed!

I should've noted that I know neck-extended and hissing is a sign of imminent danger with geese- it's just that I'm so used to Rocko doing that as a preface to honking conversationally with me and then 'grooming' my hair that I forgot that with other goosies that it might not be the most friendly sign. :eek:

Tigress will most certainly be evident with me if I venture into their territory again, Kreeden!

Thanks, all, for your good natured-ness and sense of humor! :hug: