• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

pagan religions

shivadas

As Paganism is a rather new category(for us anyways) of religions, I know Ajah Dharma started with Wicca/Paganism , then Hinduism, and continued to adopt other religious practices from various paths like Taoism, Sihk, Rastafari, Buddhism, Gnosticism, Kabbalah, Sufism, etc.

At this point it has become its own religion, in and of its self....

I was curious if there has been any other new religious movements that have surfaced with roots in paganism....

Appreciate your opinions...

Cassiopia

Sugar and Spice
Paganism is a new category of religions? I don't think so. Strictly speaking any religion that is not Christian can be called Pagan which would make Paganism the oldest category of religions.
Ajah Dharma started with Wicca? Really? Could you explain more about that.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Have you read Michael York's book "Pagan Theology: Paganism as a World Religion?" I think you might find it interesting.

Other than that, I'd echo what Cassiopia said, and I use a more discerning definition of Pagan than she is (based somewhat on the above work, I should add). Nature-based, locality-centered animism/polytheism is the earliest form of religion we have evidence for, thus all religion post has come from it's thread. What that actually means, however, is a difficult topic.

shivadas

Just cause you decide to lump all the pagan faiths together doesn't mean its one world religion...they are hundreds of individual paths, reintroduced to the modern world under the unified banner of Neo paganism.
As far as I can tell modern interest in alternative and ancient pagan practice started about two hundred years ago more or less. This is nothing compared to Hinduism or Tibetan Buddhism... which is both dated as thousands of years old...
But any way of seeing god is correct and so all religions are true despite age....
"Truth is one,sages call it by many names" - Rig-Veda
And so all religions are really sects of the one religion called truth.

But still my question still stands, have many new faiths have taken root, and if so what are they all about...

shivadas

When I'm speaking of Neo pagan religion. I'm talking Wicca and shamanism, and those types of new religious movements.... the modern movement that's what's new
I wasn't speaking of ancient polytheistic religions like greek and roman religons

Cassiopia

Sugar and Spice
But still my question still stands, have many new faiths have taken root, and if so what are they all about...
It would be impossible to give a comprehensive answer to that. You could look through the Paganism DIR to get an idea of what some of the Pagan paths are about.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Just cause you decide to lump all the pagan faiths together doesn't mean its one world religion...they are hundreds of individual paths, reintroduced to the modern world under the unified banner of Neo paganism.

Er... this criticism doesn't track well if you read his book. To call something a "world religion" doesn't mean it's a monolithic entity without underlying diversity, and nowhere does York suggest that. Not a one of the "world" religions are monolithic; there's huge diversity under labels like "Christianity" and "Hinduism." York makes the case that Paganism (and I mean Paganism, not Neopaganism) can be considered a world religion given its prevalence and influence, even in the modern day. I confess it's been a number of years since I've read it, so I'm not sure how good of a synopsis I could give you. I still recommend anybody interested in Paganism (Neo or otherwise) give it a look if they have the resources to do so.

I guess I'm not sure what you mean by "new." What time period are we referencing? New as in developed since the industrial revolution? Since the colonization of the Americas? Since the 20th century? If you're asking just about Neopagan religious movements, the time period becomes pretty easy to establish, since none of those really took root until the 20th century. On that, I can't even hazard to guess at a count. There are dozens of traditions within the major branches (e.g., Wicca, modern Druidry, Neoshamanism, reconstructionists) alone. Where you say one religion "ends" and another "begins" isn't always a simple question either. In some respects, there are as many religions as there are individuals believing in them.

Pleroma

philalethist
Er... this criticism doesn't track well if you read his book. To call something a "world religion" doesn't mean it's a monolithic entity without underlying diversity, and nowhere does York suggest that. Not a one of the "world" religions are monolithic; there's huge diversity under labels like "Christianity" and "Hinduism." York makes the case that Paganism (and I mean Paganism, not Neopaganism) can be considered a world religion given its prevalence and influence, even in the modern day. I confess it's been a number of years since I've read it, so I'm not sure how good of a synopsis I could give you. I still recommend anybody interested in Paganism (Neo or otherwise) give it a look if they have the resources to do so.

If you actually see to which direction all the evidence in science is pointing to you will find out that it is actually paganism which is compatible with Modern Science and in fact it might even take over science and one day be more powerful than science.

Its not the end of Gods, its actually the return of Gods.

Spirituality - Jung - Wikipedia

"Jung's work on himself and his patients convinced him that life has a spiritual purpose beyond material goals. Our main task, he believed, is to discover and fulfill our deep innate potential. Based on his study of Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, Gnosticism, Taoism, and other traditions, Jung believed that this journey of transformation, which he called individuation, is at the mystical heart of all religions. It is a journey to meet the self and at the same time to meet the Divine. Unlike Sigmund Freud, Jung thought spiritual experience was essential to our well-being.[35]"

All religions are One. Intellectual people might welcome it but there are some who are just too involved in idolatry and its quite difficult to make them see the truth, the truth which exists in their own religious scriptures.