• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paganism

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Darkdale said:
No; Nietzsche was oversimplifying.
Or I may have been oversimplifying Nietzsche.

Darkdale said:
Viking culture was based on law and the law was essentially designed to prevent blood-fueds, establish a network of responsible parties, keep the peace and protect property. Might didn't make right. You should read a book by Brock called Viking Age Iceland. It's an excellent demonstration of later viking culture.

Might was respected and honored, moreso than love, which wasn't discussed nearly as much as battle or lust, at least by the skalds. Love was not that important of a concept. So it really isn't a does might make right vs. love.

Right would have been thought to be whatever created the most honor, reputation and security for ones' family and ones' community.
Bottom line is that love is not the cornerstone of Viking ethics. Honor was, and might was integral to attaining honor. (You can't attain honor, reputation, and security without the ability to fight.) I would take it then that the idea that the meek will inherit the earth would be appalling to a Viking. (As it was to Nietzsche.)

This is ultimately why we don't get along, Darkdale. Because even tho I am not Christian my ethics are most undoubtedly Christian. We viscerally disagree with each other's worldviews. But I still don't understand why you were so put off by my assessment of the worldviews of liberals vs conservatives. It was a statement (albeit oversimplified) based on observation, with no judgement as to which was "right." And what you wrote above supports my observations.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
lilithu said:
Bottom line is that love is not the cornerstone of Viking ethics. Honor was, and might was integral to attaining honor. (You can't attain honor, reputation, and security without the ability to fight.) I would take it then that the idea that the meek will inherit the earth would be appalling to a Viking. (As it was to Nietzsche.)

This is ultimately why we don't get along, Darkdale. Because even tho I am not Christian my ethics are most undoubtedly Christian. We viscerally disagree with each other's worldviews. But I still don't understand why you were so put off by my assessment of the worldviews of liberals vs conservatives. It was a statement (albeit oversimplified) based on observation, with no judgement as to which was "right." And what you wrote above supports my observations.

Well, yes, I definitely base my worldview on Honor and Liberty. Love and compassion are good things, but not the most important things to me. I just got done talking to my best friend (a catholic) and we were arguing over whether or not Jesus was a good spiritual advisor or not. I thought he wasn't, obviously my friend thinks he was. Yes, we do have very different worldviews. I don't see how that has anything to do with liberal vs. conservative though.

But heathen society is not based on "might". It's just not based on love.