• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pagans Only: Are Pagans considered to be religous?

Kcnorwood

Or are they more spritual then religous? I know Paganism is very huge umbrella, but I just wanted to know everyone thought's on the subject.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
good question!

depends upon the path in question... Chaos Magicians would mostly say they are not religious, where as Wiccans would mostly say that they are.

myself? i would certainly say that i am religious because, while being a magician, i venerate and worship the Gods of the earth.

Kcnorwood

I guess I've always thought of Paganism in general as being more spirtiual then religious then anything else. Myabe it's just me but I guess I've always thought of Pagans being closer to nature then other systems of belifes, but thats just me. I guess I've always thought being close to nature like we would put define us has being spritual more so then religious.

robtex

Veteran Member
MOD POST: This thread is in same-faith debates. Please understand we have the same faith debates forums for posters of the same faith to have debates within their own faith. I am asking non-pagans to not post in this thread.

Isabella Lecour

amor aeternus est
Hmm.. Interesting question. My understanding of what is religious and what is spiritual is a bit different than most folks...so I'm thinking that Pagans in general are religious from the gut.

I know I'm comming to it from a religious background. I happen to like and need the rituals that express the inner yearing of my soul.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
I think there's a lot of confusion as to the definition of the terms "religious" and "spiritual" that comes out of this Pagan attitude of "do whatever you want". People seem to have defined "religion" as being synonymous with "dogma" and replaced it with the term "spiritual" to disassociate themselves with a religious upbringing they harbor ill-will towards. I don't really understand that.

Personally I don't find the dictionary to be a source of oppression, so I use it often.

a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects
the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith

Those are the relevant definitions for "religion".

Of, relating to, consisting of, or having the nature of spirit; not tangible or material.
Of, concerned with, or affecting the soul.
Relating to or having the nature of spirits or a spirit; supernatural.
of or pertaining to sacred things or matters; religious; devotional; sacred.

Those are the relative definitions for "spiritual"

By those definitions I would say most Pagans are religious. I'm not sure why some modern religious communities thought that some other definitions would be better, and to be honest I have yet to hear any Pagan offer some sort of concrete definition for "spiritual".

Isabella Lecour

amor aeternus est
I think there's a lot of confusion as to the definition of the terms "religious" and "spiritual" that comes out of this Pagan attitude of "do whatever you want". People seem to have defined "religion" as being synonymous with "dogma" and replaced it with the term "spiritual" to disassociate themselves with a religious upbringing they harbor ill-will towards. I don't really understand that.

You hit it right on the head, ML. A lot of people don't understand what being religious and being spiritual really means. Although, I disagree with the premise that it stems from an attitude of "do whatever you want;" I feel that there is in general a lack of religious knowledge and intimate understanding of religious topics, terms and philosophy.

It is up to each individual to grow within their Path.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
I think it depends who you ask. If you ask a Christian that has not looked into our faith they will probably say we are not religious at all. As far as spiritual vs religious, I think that varies based upon the person. I consider myself VERY religious toward my Deities, but spirituality follows close behind that like the pocket of wind that follows a truck down the highway.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Depends on the Pagan... Some are more religious, some are more spiritual, some are both, some are neither. Paganism being such a large umbrella can house a TON of different views and outlooks on their chosen paths..