• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pagans Only Please: What Is Key To Paganism?

Mike182

Flaming Queer
"yourself" is probably the only answer that all of the Pagan paths would give, and following on from that any other answer would be debated between the different paths.

one example would be that for Wiccans, the God and Goddess are indispensable, they cause magic, and wiccans use ceremony to channel that magic - where as in some other paths the power of divinity and magic is within you yourself, ceremony simply brings that force from the recesses of you mind into being, so Gods and Goddesses are not seen as key or indispensable.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I would say: "To know thyself". Knowing ones strengths and weaknesses is far more beneficial to the gods than one who denies his weaknesses.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
I would agree with the others and say that "you" is really the only thing necessary. The problem is that Paganism itself isn't a religion, it's simply an umbrella term, so the answer can only be vague.

Isabella Lecour

amor aeternus est
What is key to being a pagan, and what can be dispensed with?

I do not think that "yourself" as an answer is a good one. Every religion could agree with that statement so it doesn't set one apart from the rest. To say "To know thyself" while admirable is a life path that any religious person could take. Paganism may be an umbrella term, but it does have meaning, even at it's most basic core.

I really needed to rephrase this question for myself. What makes me Pagan verses being something else? What common beliefs are held to be pagan but which may not be?

Pagan at the minimal means that I worship more than one God. It can be debated if the Dharmic religions are Pagan or not. I feel that at the core they are a different creature. If you worship only one God, you are not Pagan.

For common beliefs about being Pagan which are not Pagan alone: the use of rituals, the use of Priestly magic, the use of talismans, healing powers, the art of symbols, myths as religious texts, decentralized religious structure, use of altars, veneration of icons, seasonal holy days, understanding of the cycle of life, honoring the good and the worthy, scam artists, the power hungry, oath breakers, and on and on the list can go.

The key to being Pagan isn't the doctrins you hold or even how you percive deity but lies in the worship of (plural) Gods.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Energy. Whether you think of energy as a supernatural force, or the energy from natural things like water and air. To feel energy in some way and feel a connection through it. To know that the energy is as much you as everything else. No matter how many gods you honor or recognize, or how you may or may not perform your ceremonies, or whether or not you do magic, there is a life energy that we are aware of.

Can everyone sort of agree with that? Or am I off too?

Isabella Lecour

amor aeternus est

LOL :D No I don't think everyone can agree. That doesn't invalidate your personal views at all or anyone else's. I seamed to have forgotten the prevalence of extreme individuality within Paganism. I all to often try to take in the big view of things and miss the personal. Perhaps I should amend my previous position and declare that Individuality is the keystone to Paganism.

EponaRose

Tree-Hugging Pagan
What can be dispenced with? How about....
*Original sin
*Hell
*A devil that makes you do bad things
*Massive amounts of guilt
*Lengthy sermons
*Fire and brimstone
*Damnation
*Trying to understand that "Father, Son & Holy Ghost is One, yet three" thing
*Waking up early every Sunday for church (Rain or shine)
*Collection plates
*Sitting next to someone who loudly sings off key
*Packed into a sweltering summer service with no AC
*Having to eat red Jell-O with canned fruit at EVERY Church Social

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
What can be dispenced with? How about....
*Original sin
*Hell
*A devil that makes you do bad things
*Massive amounts of guilt
*Lengthy sermons
*Fire and brimstone
*Damnation
*Trying to understand that "Father, Son & Holy Ghost is One, yet three" thing
*Waking up early every Sunday for church (Rain or shine)
*Collection plates
*Sitting next to someone who loudly sings off key
*Packed into a sweltering summer service with no AC
*Having to eat red Jell-O with canned fruit at EVERY Church Social

Well, none of those things are part of Paganism anyway, so all those things are rather moot.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
Do what is in your heart. Do it for the right reasons. Then instead of doing it, start living by it. Never believe that you know it all and never be afraid to trust your Deities. This is how you can begin your journey.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Energy. Whether you think of energy as a supernatural force, or the energy from natural things like water and air. To feel energy in some way and feel a connection through it. To know that the energy is as much you as everything else. No matter how many gods you honor or recognize, or how you may or may not perform your ceremonies, or whether or not you do magic, there is a life energy that we are aware of.

I would certainly agree with that. I also agree that "yourself" is an important aspect though I do think it would be better worded as individuality like someone else here mentioned. I don't think following multiple gods has much to do with it though. That may be a common theme in paganism but there are still plenty of pagans out there who are monotheistic. to claim that someone can't be a pagan unless they believe in multiple gods is frankly insulting.