• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pathrilineality or mathrilineality?

Me Myself

Back to my username
So, must of us have our fathers last name (I assume) . And most married women take their husbands last name (and as we know, this wasnt optional before)

What are your thoughts on this for TODAY?

If this were to change, how would you change it?

I ll share what we do in Ecuador just to give another perspective :

In ecuador, the wives dont change their last names, and as in other hispanic countries, the children have two "last" names. ( And two first names for that matter)The father last name, and the mother last name.

So for example, if Mr Carlos Peñas and Miss Andrea Garcia got married in ecuador and had a daughter, she would likelike be called *first name * second name* Peñas Garcia

So for example she could be Maria Andrea Peñas Garcia or Isabella Alejandra Peñas Garcia.

Nw do notice though that while she has both parents last name, there is stilll parhrilineality because her mothers last name is the second last name and the last name that will be lost in the next generation.

So if Maria Andrea Peñas Garcia Marries a Juan Eduardo Suarez Perez, their kid would have Suarez Peñas as his last names, thus, he would not bare the last names of his grandmothers, but would bear the last names of his grandfathers.

So even then we got pathrilineality.

But is there a third option? Between pathrilineality and mathrilineality, that is more or less practical?

Last edited:

WyattDerp

Between pathrilineality and mathrilineality, that is more or less practical?

At age 18, every person should be able to freely choose their surname or make up a new one from scratch.. and while we're at it, allow unicode and inline javascript! Maybe that'd be not very practical, but it would be kinda practicool :D

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
Very interesting. My mother changed her name to my father's when they where married and after he died she retained his name because all of her children had her late husband's name, when she remarried she kept my father's first name then added a hyphen followed by her new husband's last name (given her advanced years she will not have an children) because she wished to retain my father's last name as it was a link to us her children.

I like to keep things simple, one last name. I will not change my name and I do not expect her to change hers as for the kids... mine or hers I do not really mind which.

Me Myself

Back to my username
At age 18, every person should be able to freely choose their surname or make up a new one from scratch.. and while we're at it, allow unicode and inline javascript! Maybe that'd be not very practical, but it would be kinda practicool :D

Choosing between parents would get completely vicious :p

Actually I was thinking on a coin flip,.... Bt lets not get into that :D

I did thought of serial numbers :eek:

Me Myself

Back to my username
Very interesting. My mother changed her name to my father's when they where married and after he died she retained his name because all of her children had her late husband's name, when she remarried she kept my father's first name then added a hyphen followed by her new husband's last name (given her advanced years she will not have an children) because she wished to retain my father's last name as it was a link to us her children.

I like to keep things simple, one last name. I will not change my name and I do not expect her to change hers as for the kids... mine or hers I do not really mind which.

Interesting :)

Alceste

Vagabond
Most women in Quebec keep their own name. It's common in BC too. Kids usually get two last names or the father's last name. I changed my name, but only because my husband's last name is cooler, and when else am I going to get a good excuse to change my boring name? Also, there's a really horrific and embarrassing Canadian musician with the same name as me, and she owns the URL. I got a dot com after I changed it. Woo Woo!

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
My wife took my last name because she "wanted to", she "loves me", and because her "last name sucked"... :p

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
My wife hated her last name, and wanted to have my last name.

But there is yet another way for two people to sort this. I wanted to do this if my wife had wished, but it was not necessary. Two lovers wish to marry but they do not like each other's names. They both think that it is important to share the same name, but how?

Answer? They look through the telephone book (or whatever) until they see a name which they both really like. In England the male (if it is to be a hetero wedding) will change his name by deed-poll. Then they marry, and the woman can automatically take the same name using the wedding certificate.

I don't know where same-sex marriage has got to here....... they're still squabbling, I think, but when that is legislated, same sex couples can do the same.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
In the UK the married name can be either the wifes maiden name or the Husbands name or a combination in any order. It If fairly rare to take the wifes name but no one is stopping you.
Alternatively they can each keep their own name. It is best for legal reasons to change your names by deed poll, but it is legal to call your self what ever you like in the UK, simply by using a name. But it can cause difficulties or delays with state papers etc.

Wherenextcolumbus

My parents weren't married, but my mums mum told my mum to give me my dads last name and she did, then I decided I wanted it changed to my step dads name when I was like 11 roughly, they are no longer together and I changed it to my mums maiden name when I was 18.
To me it makes more sense that the one who carried the child gives them the surname.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Many years ago I needed a copy of my birth certificate, as we could not find the original.
And I had to do a physical search of the national register in London.
What is interesting is that they are all hand written in ledgers By year, month and day and by mothers maiden name. The fathers name only appears on the certificate itself.

In my case it was a little difficult to find as my father had not registered me till over three months after my birth (illegal)

He was a Doctor and should have known better, But I was a breach birth with complications that led to a late C section. And it was not till my mother recovered that they thought to register me.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I find it kinda romantic to have a last name change.

I was thinking, they could switch last names :D . Though thata weird I admit xD

I wonder a lot about the kids though. This thing that the man in our society is generally the one whose lineage is acknowledged by the naming.

My rl last name is... Well lets say its long and uncommon so I got to do some repeating xD. Then again I prefer that to my long and common name xD

Me Myself

Back to my username
My parents weren't married, but my mums mum told my mum to give me my dads last name and she did, then I decided I wanted it changed to my step dads name when I was like 11 roughly, they are no longer together and I changed it to my mums maiden name when I was 18.
To me it makes more sense that the one who carried the child gives them the surname.

By carried you mean the one who was pregnant? (Sorry if the question is stupid, once in a while I do remember I am not an english native speaker xD)

Me Myself

Back to my username
It does make more sense, really. You can only be certain of maternity.

Today thats not true.

The way I see it, any of those choosings (pathrilineality ir mathrilineality) are arbitrary if you had them on a society with a clean slate on that regard.

Ideally, the name should reflect both parents, non with greater importance than the others. Some special curcumstances changing sutff like when you didn thave both parents in your growing up or such

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
My family name only goes back 1 generation as my fathers' parents used a different last name. My grandfather's brother used another last name as well.

My wife uses the double last name, my last name hyphenated with her last name.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I kind of like the old Norse patronymic/matronymic system where Sven and Elsa's kids would have the surnames Svenson or Elsasdottir.
It's kind of homey and romantic.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I always wondered what it would be like to have the mother in a married couple adopt the father's last name as her middle name, the father adopt the mother's last name as his middle name, and the children adopt the mother's last name.

I knew that at one point in these parts it was common for the wife to make her maiden name her new middle name and adopting her husband's last name as the family name. That way, it was easier for genealogical records to trace lineages through both mother and father sides of the families.

Then again, we've also redefined what family means nowadays. It has less to do with bloodlines and more to do with establishing loving, nurturing, and safe connection under a single roof.