• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paying money to church pastors and musicians

Skwim

Veteran Member
Most are...
If a church calls anyone to serve because of their professional qualifications, they ought to paid for their expertise.
Agreed.
icon14.gif

Agnostic75

I read some Internet blogs where some conservative Christians criticized church musicians who accept money for their services. They said that church musicians should play for the Lord without pay, but if that is true, why should pastors accept money? Surely music is a very important part of church services, takes time and preparation, and frequently is an important factor regarding church growth.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I read some Internet blogs where some conservative Christians criticized church musicians who accept money for their services. They said that church musicians should play for the Lord without pay, but if that is true, why should pastors accept money? Surely music is a very important part of church services, takes time and preparation, and frequently is an important factor regarding church growth.
...sometimes more time and preparation.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
In some churches, pastors are also not paid. That doesn't mean that is what normally happens. Some conservative Christians may criticize musicians being paid. However, many churches also have professionals who lead the music program and make enough to support themselves and their families.

Man of Faith

A pastor is considered a full time ministry in most churches and so is a song leader. However musicians are "weekend warriors" so to speak. They have full time jobs and just play for the church on Sunday. They do it for the love of the Lord, just like pastors but they aren't considered permanent full time jobs, they are volunteers and serving the church by using their gifts.

Should volunteers at soup kitchens get paid? Maybe but that is not why they are there.

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
A pastor is considered a full time ministry in most churches and so is a song leader. However musicians are "weekend warriors" so to speak. They have full time jobs and just play for the church on Sunday. They do it for the love of the Lord, just like pastors but they aren't considered permanent full time jobs, they are volunteers and serving the church by using their gifts.

Should volunteers at soup kitchens get paid? Maybe but that is not why they are there.

I agree.

The only time a musician should be paid is if they are unrelated to the congregation and are being asked to perform and this musician works for pay.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Every pastor I have had always had another job as well as preaching. This is especially true in small Churches. Preachers in old time books are always poor.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Every pastor I have had always had another job as well as preaching. This is especially true in small Churches. Preachers in old time books are always poor.

I think it depends on the denomination. My dad in an Anglican priest and he gets enough with wage and award for our family to get by comfortably. It helps that mum works part-time. We certainly aren't wealthy but we can't complain.

waitasec

Veteran Member
oh yes the music behind worship
it's contrived and used as an underscore to evoke emotion....

yes musicians should get paid for their services...

blackout

Violet.
I was the paid pianist/accompanist at a parish for over 8 years.
I also led the singing when no one else showed up.
(everyone else being volunteer)

There's no WAY I would've done all that for free.
And at the time, I was a devout christian.
(almost impossible to imagine, I know.)

But anyway, that's why I ALWAYS showed up,
and the others didn't.
As well, I was hired because I was qualified
to handle the music itself professionally,
on a professional level.
It's what I went to school for.
As a professional why shouldn't I have been paid?

waitasec

Veteran Member
I was the paid pianist/accompanist at a parish for over 8 years.
I also led the singing when no one else showed up.
(everyone else being volunteer)

There's no WAY I would've done all that for free.
And at the time, I was a devout christian.
(almost impossible to imagine, I know.)

But anyway, that's why I ALWAYS showed up,
and the others didn't.
As well, I was hired because I was qualified
to handle the music itself professionally,
on a professional level.
It's what I went to school for.
As a professional why shouldn't I have been paid?

a perfectly reasonable question...

MurphtheSurf

Matthew 10:7 As YOU go, preach, saying, ‘The kingdom of the heavens has drawn near.’ 8 Cure sick people, raise up dead persons, make lepers clean, expel demons. YOU received free, give free. 9 Do not procure gold or silver or copper for YOUR girdle purses

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Matthew 10:7 As YOU go, preach, saying, ‘The kingdom of the heavens has drawn near.’ 8 Cure sick people, raise up dead persons, make lepers clean, expel demons. YOU received free, give free. 9 Do not procure gold or silver or copper for YOUR girdle purses
And yet Jesus had people providing for him out of their own means. Luke 8:1-3

Agnostic75

If no churches paid musicians any money, there is no doubt that overall, church music would be much less appealing than it is. There is also no doubt that appealing music has significantly contributed to the growth of many churches. Few people would get college degrees in organ performance if churches never paid organists any money.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
It still baffles me that churches don't have to pay taxes. Pastors make "income" and their work isn't voluntary. Appointments are made, services are done at designated times etc.