• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

people are created equal or not equal

From what I have been told by religions and some democracies (USA for example) is that all men/women are created equal or they all have intrinsic rights to be equal. I can think of many ways that people are are not created equal nor ever treated equal.

It seams that the far opposite is much more true. Basic examples would be a child born with a drug addiction, or a person who was born handicapped, or the person that develops a problem from their genes. How did the concept that people are created equal begin. Should people really think we are all equal to one another.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
People are both equal and unequal. It depends on which context we are speaking about.

I'm gonna pass on the "created" part.

waitasec

Veteran Member
people are born equally unequal.

we are all born to live. it's not the consequences that you are born into...it is the consequence of being...

Skwim

Veteran Member
From what I have been told by religions and some democracies (USA for example) is that all men/women are created equal or they all have intrinsic rights to be equal. I can think of many ways that people are are not created equal nor ever treated equal.
Assuming you're serious here, as far as the United States declaration that "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal . . . ." goes, it merely affirms equal lawful rights, which, unfortunately, has been a difficult concept to establish in practice.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Assuming you're serious here, as far as the United States declaration that "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal . . . ." goes, it merely affirms equal lawful rights, which, unfortunately, has been a difficult concept to establish in practice.

because some have been granted rights from the lord in heaven above

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
In what ways do you see the equal part.
From a legal perspective here in the USA, we are technically equal, except where we aren't.

From a Buddhist perspective we are equal in that we all have the capacity to attain enlightenment. Some will reach that attainment sooner than others, so inequality exists as well.

We are all equal in that we are all mammals, part of the human species; and at least for the near future we are all residents of planet Earth, Solar system, Milky Way Galaxy.

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses

It seams that the far opposite is much more true. Basic examples would be a child born with a drug addiction, or a person who was born handicapped, or the person that develops a problem from their genes. How did the concept that people are created equal begin. Should people really think we are all equal to one another.

I think most definitely people do not exist as equals. In a way I don’t like the vocabulary of 'created' as it suggests a creator, coercing one into that line of thought.
Inequality has gotten a bad name, and in history is pinned to many atrocities, but I think it’s vital and necessarily produces the diversity that makes life so interesting.

‘Equality’ is just an easy model to guide good behaviour. It fast tracks you to the line of thinking that leads to the good life and treatment of others, but is somewhat of a false statement. ‘Treat unto others as you would like to be treated’. Of course we are all equal, but let’s not forget that that’s far from true!

waitasec

Veteran Member
You mean the social injustices that occur[red) in the USA are the result of the lord withholding rights? Care to explain?

quite the contrary. it is those that have found favor in the lord that have acquired the heavenly right to impose on the inalienable rights of the ones that don't fit in their system
apparently it's not about liberty and justice for all, but for the majority.

Skwim

Veteran Member
quite the contrary. it is those that have found favor in the lord that have acquired the heavenly right to impose on the inalienable rights of the ones that don't fit in their system
apparently it's not about liberty and justice for all, but for the majority.
So, I take it then that because the KKK was able to impose itself on blacks that they had found favor with the lord, who in turn gave them the right to do so. Interesting. Interesting indeed.

waitasec

Veteran Member
So, I take it then that because the KKK was able to impose itself on blacks that they had found favor with the lord, who in turn gave them the right to do so. Interesting. Interesting indeed.

not because of what they did, but because of who they were.
isn't that what they claim?

Last edited: