• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

people are created equal or not equal

waitasec

Veteran Member
No I gave a specific situation with a specific outcome, and asked the following. Do we value effort more than we value results? At least I attempted to. I spoke nothing of physiques.

The question of equality can be answered when we decide what we value. If we value equality no matter our advantages or disadvantages, than to that person people will seem equal.
There are many who feel those that contribute and offer more positive results are more valuable than those that don't.

The US president for example, we spend millions for his safety, because we feel he is more valuable than others. For example, if an attack happened in DC, more stress would be placed on making sure the president is safe before others in the white house are safe.
1`So you see even in our nation, we preach equality, but blatantly act otherwise.

Complicated mess really.

well life is like that isn't it...you can't determine a specific outcome...chaos and randomness rule the day...
do we value effort more than results...that depends doesn't it?

i put the physique out there because there are an infinite amount of variables to life, like being president.

i am with you, i put more value in effort...that is a principle i hope my son will grasp and apply.

yes the president is more important because he represents the people. and the president is ultimately accountable to the entire nation.
a huge sense of responsibility more than any of us can comprehend unless put in that position.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
If I may:

Supposing two students take a math test.

Student one, studies extremely hard day in and day out for 3 weeks. On test day Student one receives a C-

Student two, studies not at all. On test day Student two receives an A+

Shall we reward one greater than the other? Why or why not?

Both students have an equal right to take the test free of discrimination. How well they DO on the test is up to them, and their results may not be equal or have equal consequences.

They deserve an equal chance to succeed or fail.

dmgdnooc

The concept should be interpreted as "Everyone has the right to be treated equitably".
Not that everyone is literally "equal".

I agree.

I see the concept as being a political expression of the answer to William Langland's, at the time (14th C England), radical questioning of the prevailing social structure.
'When Adam delved, and Eve span,
Who was then a Gentleman?'

The expression of the concept 'all men are created equal' appears to me to be not only a legal safeguard against the creation of a permanent and impenetrable aristocracy, but also a 'thumbing of the nose' aimed at the former Colonial Power.

Way to go, I say.
icon7.gif