• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

People in News organizations should be prosecuted for lies

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
What I am concerned about at the moment is people like Carlson and Ingraham saying things that are lies in my opinion about vaccinations that cause people not to get vaccinated, and cause more deaths. In an ideal society they would be prosecuted, in my opinion. In my opinion lies in the media should not be tolerated in any case, and the right to free speech is deficient in this regard. The right to free speech should not include speech by the media that the hosts know are lies and harm the public or anyone whether the intent can be proved they intended harm or not.

Watchmen

Premium Member
What I am concerned about at the moment is people like Carlson and Ingraham saying things that are lies in my opinion about vaccinations that cause people not to get vaccinated, and cause more deaths. In an ideal society they would be prosecuted, in my opinion. In my opinion lies in the media should not be tolerated in any case, and the right to free speech is deficient in this regard. The right to free speech should not include speech by the media that the hosts know are lies and harm the public or anyone whether the intent can be proved they intended harm or not.
It’s a slippery slope. What is media? There’s news and there’s editorials. Unfortunately, the editorials get the ratings.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member

I agree with you, that blatant lies should be prosecuted.

However, people who think they're telling the truth(even if its not correct) are often well meaning, even if they're causing harm. I'm not sure its a good idea to prosecute folks for being incorrect. How can one tell if the misinformation is deliberate, or simply mistaken?

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
I agree with you, that blatant lies should be prosecuted.

However, people who think they're telling the truth(even if its not correct) are often well meaning, even if they're causing harm. I'm not sure its a good idea to prosecute folks for being incorrect. How can one tell if the misinformation is deliberate, or simply mistaken?
Well, you can have a fair trial about whether it's a deliberate lie or they are mistaken.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Well, you can have a fair trial about whether it's a deliberate lie or they are mistaken.

I think that would be a lot of trials, a lot of time, and a lot of money.

If we had unlimited access to trials, time, and money, I'd say go for it, but I don't think this is the case.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
What makes it a lie?

Anyways bring back the Fairness Doctrine.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I do agree that journalists should be held to a high standard when disseminating information. Which is why there’s a code of conduct for most countries. But American media seems to thrive on hyperbole, no offence. My country is not that different, I’m just saying. America seems to have much more lax standards. That’s just my perception though.

Colt

What did Tucker lie about specifically?

The Left has always used imprisonment against its political enemies. The media in America is just an extension of the (D) party, political activist disguised as journalist. Tucker Carlson is himself a conservative activist, a counter to the Lefts agenda and far outweighed by the Leftist media establishment.

I chose to get the Maderna vaccination and wear masks ect.

FDA adds new warning on Johnson & Johnson vaccine related to rare autoimmune disorder

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/07/12/johnson-and-johnson-warning/

Colt

I do agree that journalists should be held to a high standard when disseminating information. Which is why there’s a code of conduct for most countries. But American media seems to thrive on hyperbole, no offence. My country is not that different, I’m just saying. America seems to have much more lax standards. That’s just my perception though.
I'm an American, my experience has been that we no longer have real journalism, we have journalistic activism and click-bait profiteering.

In America if you work in Journalism you wont go very far if you break a story that is damaging to the Lefts agenda.

Heyo

Veteran Member
No chance of getting a political majority for that. Which politician would even think about making lying illegal?

Twilight Hue

Big question. How do you know for sure its lies?

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
What lies? People are also dying from the vaccines. Others are having health problems because of them. Should this not be public knowledge?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

One thing they should do is make a clear differentiation between actual news and opinion/commentary. That's been a big problem I've noticed with the news in general.

However, I think they should also take the same approach with commercial speech. Any misleading statement, including the use of squirrely phrases and weasel words, should also be punished with imprisonment.

Twilight Hue

What lies? People are also dying from the vaccines. Others are having health problems because of them. Should this not be public knowledge?
I agree.

I think people have a right to critical information weither it's positive or negative.

To suppress or censor information on a basis that it will "hurt the cause" should never be tolerated nor excused.