• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

People often begin the spiritual life as an escape from the miseries of their worldly life

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Here's an article from an old magazine of mine ... it was free too!

People often begin the spiritual life as an escape from the miseries of their worldly life. They may seek to be free from difficult emotions such as anger, fear, and grief, while desiring the more pleasant emotions such as joy, happiness, and bliss. This is legitimate; it is the way we begin. But it is not the way we end. The ending, which is surrender, is the recognition that no escape is possible or necessary. This means to fully embrace whatever appears in consciousness, rather than ignoring any of it.

For the rest of the article - click here -

https://livingnow.com.au/emotions-obstacle-ally/

Enjoy!

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I prefer the beginning of one's spiritual life is a quest for a 'sense of belonging' and spiritual identity. That is how most people are raised. This is the prison of the "self" we must detach ourselves from to become a seeker.

". . . the lover escapes from the claws of the eagle of love, he will enter the Valley of Knowledge."

Seven Valleys by Baha'u'llah

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
That piece speaks mostly to the emotional life of people with the search for something more mentioned generally.

It's true that people can start with the search for something to deal with negativity but it's not always the case.

It was my personal experience and some of my friends that our search started with the feeling that there had to be something more than mundane existence and not particularly due to dealing with negative emotions.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
It was my personal experience and some of my friends that our search started with the feeling that there had to be something more than mundane existence and not particularly due to dealing with negative emotions.

Fair enough!

My "search" was a result of very negative emotions. I am still amazed when I look back on how I used to be ... almost seems like someone else's life - or a bad dream :)

Cheers!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I agree with the OP. Not always, but more often than not, people turn to spiritual matters out of discontent with their lives. Ironically, this desire to escape from one's suffering can apparently hinder or prevent realization (enlightenment), just like any other desire can. Funny how that works.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I agree with the OP. Not always, but more often than not, people turn to spiritual matters out of discontent with their lives. Ironically, this desire to escape from one's suffering can apparently hinder or prevent realization (enlightenment), just like any other desire can. Funny how that works.

Yes - very funny indeed - once you get the "joke".

:)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I do agree that this was the sort of thing I encountered, way back when, long ago. It wasn't something I could personally relate to however. I had a hard time trying to understand why people wanted to change themselves simply because I felt no need to change anything in particular. That is the period where I became a very good listener because I didn't know enough to give good advice.

One oddity about my teen years was that I was drawn to people who had suffered horrible abuse as children. My childhood was pretty peachy, overall, in contrast. Slowly, I began to understand that the change they wanted to effect was to try to undo the damage done to them.

Last edited:

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
One oddity about my teen years was that I was drawn to people who had suffered horrible abuse as children. My childhood was pretty peachy, overall, in contrast. Slowly, I began to understand that the change they wanted to effect was to try to undo the damage done to them.

I also had a better-than-average childhood. Didn't stop me from developing schizophrenia though ... I can sure relate to anyone who is suffering because I have been there. Though it has taken a LONG journey to arrive at this happy destination! Some people with schizophrenia aint so lucky so it does puzzle me a bit - more than a bit actually!

The article is by Gangaji - have not read her books but have heard good reports about them -

Gangaji – Spiritual Teacher and Author on Natural Intelligence and Emotional Healing

Have a good one!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
What is spirituality?

Good question!

It's a little like the word time - if nobody asks me I know what time is but if they ask me to explain it I struggle for words!

For what it's worth, to me spirituality means contemplating the meaning of life and how I can be a kinder & more compassionate human being. Others may have different definitions ...

Had a quick look at google and found this interesting link - hope it helps -

What Does It Mean to Be a Spiritual Person? | HuffPost

Enjoy your day!

Little Lunch

Atheist
Hmm, well I think I may be partially spiritual at times.
And if I think back to when this first started, it was after I dug my way out of my first big hole, and more so after the second, third, fourth and so on.
So it may seem that a lot of people seek out spirituality, after a low point in their lives, as a form of escape.
But I'm willing to bet that a lot of people seek it out as a form of empathy, having been there and suddenly realising that other people have bad times as well.
I wonder if spirituality could be defined as a sort of empathetic mindfulness?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Hmm, well I think I may be partially spiritual at times.
And if I think back to when this first started, it was after I dug my way out of my first big hole, and more so after the second, third, fourth and so on.
So it may seem that a lot of people seek out spirituality, after a low point in their lives, as a form of escape.
But I'm willing to bet that a lot of people seek it out as a form of empathy, having been there and suddenly realising that other people have bad times as well.
I wonder if spirituality could be defined as a sort of empathetic mindfulness?

You maybe right! It means different things to different people.

Empathy is a good quality to develop.

Good luck with it!

:)

midopafo

Here's an article from an old magazine of mine ... it was free too!

People often begin the spiritual life as an escape from the miseries of their worldly life. They may seek to be free from difficult emotions such as anger, fear, and grief, while desiring the more pleasant emotions such as joy, happiness, and bliss. This is legitimate; it is the way we begin. But it is not the way we end. The ending, which is surrender, is the recognition that no escape is possible or necessary. This means to fully embrace whatever appears in consciousness, rather than ignoring any of it.

For the rest of the article - click here -

https://livingnow.com.au/emotions-obstacle-ally/

Enjoy!

Totally wrong to advertise on your part if you have a love of God and repentant sinners. Often, and may, wrong words to use for a true repentant feeling " GUILT ", sorrow for a life of sin, asking for nothing but forgiveness.

Dantedeven

I was contacted by an angel at random that warned me about the future if i did not consider to believe in God.
Believing in God was the hardest thing i ever did, but i would a liar if i denied it.
I could not convince myself no matter what.
But as time passed and i listened to the signs.
I started understanding them and step by step i started understanding more and more.
So far, it is perhaps the most positive thing i ever experienced in my far.
But i do not follow a religion.

carmenara

I was contacted by an angel at random that warned me about the future if i did not consider to believe in God.
Believing in God was the hardest thing i ever did, but i would a liar if i denied it.
I could not convince myself no matter what.
But as time passed and i listened to the signs.
I started understanding them and step by step i started understanding more and more.
So far, it is perhaps the most positive thing i ever experienced in my far.
But i do not follow a religion.

I had the exact same experience as you but after many years of "soul searching" I settled upon Hinduism as it conformed to my spiritual encounters well, could best identify the circumstances I was facing, but much more than that it had a very strong community that advised me to follow my heart and not be swayed by those with ulterior motives or treated religion like some commercial mass-market venture.

It helped that I could identify people and scenarios with what looked like ancient wisdom passed down through the ages.

And I thought... that's something very different and special. Giving me the keys to their culture and now religion as well...

I settled here with the desire to identify and best respect what gave me hope.

With respect to the OP, religion does indeed bind people together, but using it as a means to escape hardship has led to misuse of religion throughout human history - since people escaping hardship are at their most vulnerable emotionally and may be swayed in any direction.

I've had a few run-ins with that in my younger days, but that's a story for another time.

Dantedeven

By the indication on your faith of choice as Hinduism you are indeed following a religion.
Yes this is correct, hinduism is my religion, but i don't follow an religion. But in my holy book, the Bhagavad Gita, i took one verse very, very serious. And for a reason. It is the most honest thing i have ever read.

18:66 -
upload_2018-1-3_6-41-25.png

Abandon all varieties of religion and just surrender unto Me. I shall deliver
you from all sinful reactions. Do not fear.

18:4 -

upload_2018-1-3_5-52-59.png

Pride, arrogance, conceit, anger, harshness and ignorance—these qualities
belong to those of demoniac nature, O son of Påthä.

Reason i chose Hinduism as my religion is because the mantra's hinduism provides are so extremely powerful.
All of the lifelessons that are contained within the Bhagavad Gita, taught me God in an entire different way.
Without reading the Bhagavad Gita multiple times and mastering the ways that are of Lord Krsna, i would still read the bible
and still not understand it. But now i read the bible again, after all these years of Dharma study. And it is amazing. The bible
is an amazing book, that i would not be able to understand without learning from the Bhagavad Gita.

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-3_5-50-47.png
    upload_2018-1-3_5-50-47.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 0

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
What is spirituality?

I agree with what is posted on this website below. Spiritual is not the same thing as religious. A person can be spiritual whether they believe in God or not. Many atheists are very spiritual and many religious people are not very spiritual. That is not to say that religious people are never spiritual, many are.

What Is the Meaning of the Term, Spiritual?

That which is spiritual is sacred and the concept of sacred is interchangeable with the concept of "holy"-a word derived from an Old English word meaning, "whole" and perfect in goodness. A religious person may be spiritual, but a spiritual person is not necessarily religious.

Spirituality refers to the evolutionary process as it drives us forward, eventually, to perfect wholeness. It relates to the expansion or evolution of consciousness. And, thus all activity-be it physical, emotional, intuitional and so forth-that leads towards greater perfection, goodness and wholeness is therefore spiritual. The scientist working, for example, on a cancer cure is involved in spiritual work, as is the diplomat attempting to bring harmony between warring parties or the artist seeking to create a beautiful masterpiece for enhancing the quality of life.

Spiritual values are qualified by ever-widening horizons, synthesis, growth and wholeness as well as greater vision, understanding and integration.

We know that without the physical sun, the world would be a dark, cold, dead place. Without the Soul-the heart of the inner spiritual wisdom-the inner sun, the world is full of psychological darkness in the form of ignorance, selfishness and separateness.

To continue: What Is the Meaning of the Term, Spiritual