• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Perhaps Net Neutrality s/b the activists' top priority?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Hackers will never let net neutrality truly die, and if it ever gets fully struck down, consumers will quickly demand it back.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Hackers will never let net neutrality truly die, and if it ever gets fully struck down, consumers will quickly demand it back.
Unfortunately, I think you overestimate both hackers and consumers...

Hopefully, we never have to find out which of us is correct.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Unfortunately, I think you overestimate both hackers and consumers...

Hopefully, we never have to find out which of us is correct.

Agreed.

But consumers want the path of least resistance, and if everyone's favorite sites suddenly become slow, demand for speed will return.

I also don't mean that hackers will circumvent any of the rules and keep net neutrality alive for everyone(though there are currently efforts to provide for satellite-based free, neutral internet for all). I simply mean that there will always be circumventing programs available, even if they remain niche.

Gehennaite

net·work neu·tral·i·ty

noun: network neutrality

the principle that Internet service providers should enable access to all content and applications regardless of the source, and without favoring or blocking particular products or websites
It wouldn't bother me if net neutrality wasn't preserved. I don't believe any of the sites I visit on the internet would be interfered with. So, it doesn't bother me.

raw_thought

Even if you have no political opinions you should care about freedom of speech.
Actually the demise of net neutrality also means that non-political speech will be censored. For example, if a provider wishes to sell a chess site it will make yahoo ( chess) slower.
Also, the demise of net neutrality means the end of sources for news that are not corporate owned.
Those in favor of getting rid of net neutrality do not like the bill of rights. I suggest they move to North Korea.
It used to be said that the first thing a dictatorship does is take over the radio stations. Thats why net neutrality had to go. And I am not talking about the government. Government is only the puppet. Corporations, banks etc are the puppeteer, the big brother behind the curtain. http://www.flickr.com/photos/tom-margie/3088753084/

Last edited:

The Barbarian

Christian Barbarian
It's a big item on the right. The internet is the last source of news not effectively controlled by corporate media. Don't think they don't realize that. The republican establishment is furious that libertarians are outflanking them using the internet. Cantor's defeat was in large part, a consequence of tea party activity on the net. Not the Koch brothers fake, the real party.

It's a place where the left and the libertarians share a common interest against the establishment.