• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Personal Religious Experiences

Tonymai

Lonesome Religionist
There is a vast difference between those who have sought God for themselves, and those who simply follow the tradition of their forefathers. The former has to find living experiences of God in his daily life, and the later only need to believe what the tradition has taught him.

When one finds God for himself, in himself and as himself, and strives to do His Will, one will never change again regarding his personal conviction. Jesus was an example. Death will not cause him to change.

True religious freedom does not depends on what to believe or not to believe, but on one's courage to discover God by himself and to do His Will regardless whatever societal pressure one is under.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
True religious freedom does not depends on what to believe or not to believe, but on one's courage to discover God by himself and to do His Will regardless whatever societal pressure one is under.
I've certainly gone down this road further than most, so much so, that I no longer have room for god. There's only me. As it should be. If you want to call me "god", go ahead, though I no longer have much use for the idea. Why attempt to explain the potentials of consciousness using an outdated framework?

Tonymai

Lonesome Religionist
One also go to whoever able to impart the truth about God without submitting to any ecclesiastical authority. Freely one receive, freely one gives. That hall mark of the knowledge of Truth.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
There is a vast difference between those who have sought God for themselves, and those who simply follow the tradition of their forefathers.

What if the tradition of your forefathers is "Go find God for yourself." which basically sums up a lot of Sanatana Dharma and other Dharmic paths?

Tonymai

Lonesome Religionist
I've certainly gone down this road further than most, so much so, that I no longer have room for god. There's only me. As it should be. If you want to call me "god", go ahead, though I no longer have much use for the idea. Why attempt to explain the potentials of consciousness using an outdated framework?

When you were born, you did not know God, the ONE and ONLY DEITY, the first awareness you had was you and those material beings around you. When you become God conscious, you actually become more real as a self for you have stepped beyond your birth condition. Believing there is God and conscious God within your mind are two complete different experiences.

How about 'spiritual' experience, as opposed to 'religious' experience?

I've done a 12 Step program through Alcoholics Anonymous, where we look at our past, investigating our resentments, harms done to others, and our fears; then we discuss them with another human being. The truth really does set you free. The humility this provides (not to be confused with servility) is a truly spiritual experience and it gives you a lot of strength, shifting the focus of yourself towards others.

Also, making amends to those we've harmed, done properly, is a truly spiritual experience - liberating. And helping others to overcome their alcoholism is in itself a spiritual experience; watching someone grow from a wreck of a human being into someone who helps others overcome their alcoholism. Recently I saw a guy I sponsor (mentor) helping a newcomer and I nearly cried. I'm touched right now thinking about it.

It also sorted out the 'God question' for me. I found 'God'; it's within, not external; it's not a magic man in the sky. Maybe in Buddhism it's called Buddha Nature and I'm sure other religions have a similar name for it; but it's not found in religious dogma, it's found in trying to live a spiritual life, which means essentially (to me), in trying to be a less selfish and self centred person.

The Roman philosopher Senneca said being spiritual is mostly about being good. I like that.

Tonymai

Lonesome Religionist
How about 'spiritual' experience, as opposed to 'religious' experience?

I've done a 12 Step program through Alcoholics Anonymous, where we look at our past, investigating our resentments, harms done to others, and our fears; then we discuss them with another human being. The truth really does set you free. The humility this provides (not to be confused with servility) is a truly spiritual experience and it gives you a lot of strength, shifting the focus of yourself towards others.

Also, making amends to those we've harmed, done properly, is a truly spiritual experience - liberating. And helping others to overcome their alcoholism is in itself a spiritual experience; watching someone grow from a wreck of a human being into someone who helps others overcome their alcoholism. Recently I saw a guy I sponsor (mentor) helping a newcomer and I nearly cried. I'm touched right now thinking about it.

It also sorted out the 'God question' for me. I found 'God'; it's within, not external; it's not a magic man in the sky. Maybe in Buddhism it's called Buddha Nature and I'm sure other religions have a similar name for it; but it's not found in religious dogma, it's found in trying to live a spiritual life, which means essentially (to me), in trying to be a less selfish and self centred person.

The Roman philosopher Senneca said being spiritual is mostly about being good. I like that.

Spiritual experiences and religious experiences are basically the same. Truth is spiritual or religious in nature, or inner personal experiences of man. A man lives the truth which he experiences by being an manifestation of that truth. "Kingdom of Heaven is within you". Truth is an inner discovery. So true God consciousness is within a person's inner experiences than finding somebody's theology or doctrine to live by or to believe.

Tonymai

Lonesome Religionist
There is a vast difference between those who have sought God for themselves, and those who simply follow the tradition of their forefathers. The former has to find living experiences of God in his daily life, and the later only need to believe what the tradition has taught him.

When one finds God for himself, in himself and as himself, and strives to do His Will, one will never change again regarding his personal conviction. Jesus was an example. Death will not cause him to change.

And such discovery of Deity must come as inner experiences of the soul so that no external pressure of the society can change the religionist.

And such discovery of Deity must come as inner experiences of the soul so that no external pressure of the society can change the religionist.

That discovery doesn't have to be ascribed to a deity though. And there is no evidence that I'm aware of as a 'soul', if by soul you mean an egoic-identity that will last for all eternity.

Tonymai

Lonesome Religionist
A soul is the co-creation of the a believing human mind and the the spirit of God living within that human mind. The experiences of God consciousness is the consciousness of this soul within human mind.

A soul is the co-creation of the a believing human mind and the the spirit of God living within that human mind. The experiences of God consciousness is the consciousness of this soul within human mind.

Where do you get this information from? It's not found within in my experience. I've looked for my 'soul' in analytical meditation and can't find any evidence for it.

Tonymai

Lonesome Religionist
God is an inner experience. I call it a spirit of God living within human mind causes such inner experiences.

Tonymai

Lonesome Religionist
Have you proof of this? A recent scientific experiment found that chimpanzees were capable of altruistic acts.

And if the 'spirit of God' doesn't manifest itself as an act of altruism, then I don't know what it is.

Inner experiences with God leads a person to be altruistic, but altruistic actions do not need to be the results of God knowing.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
When you were born, you did not know God, the ONE and ONLY DEITY, the first awareness you had was you and those material beings around you. When you become God conscious, you actually become more real as a self for you have stepped beyond your birth condition. Believing there is God and conscious God within your mind are two complete different experiences.
I understand exactly what you mean however it is my view that view is erroneous. As I have said and implied elsewhere, such assertions (about god) are signs of the novice. At a certain stage the reality of the inner self can certainly seem like "God" in comparison to our ordinary state of awareness, however that assumption is only temporary. That temporary phase can last from a few minutes, to an entire lifetime. It all depends how long the individual decides to play psychological footsy with themselves. Prolonged exposure to Oneness should dispel any thoughts of "other".

Last edited:

Tonymai

Lonesome Religionist
I understand exactly what you mean however it is my view that view is erroneous. As I have said and implied elsewhere, such assertions (about god) are signs of the novice. At a certain stage the reality of the inner self can certainly seem like "God" in comparison to our ordinary state of awareness, however that assumption is only temporary. That temporary phase can last from a few minutes, to an entire lifetime. It all depends how long the individual decides to play psychological footsy with themselves. Prolonged exposure to Oneness should dispel any thoughts of "other".

This exercise of non-duality denies the actuality of the absolute uniqueness of each person. but I must agree that pantheism philosophy can explain many phenomenon. The spirit of God living within man is a separate entity from the self. It is the light of eternal life.