• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Physicists Create 'Negative Mass'"

Skwim

Veteran Member
Can Perpetual Motion be Far Behind? ;)

170417095534_1_540x360.jpg

"Washington State University physicists have created a fluid with negative mass, which is exactly what it sounds like. Push it, and unlike every physical object in the world we know, it doesn't accelerate in the direction it was pushed. It accelerates backwards.

The phenomenon is rarely created in laboratory conditions and can be used to explore some of the more challenging concepts of the cosmos, said Michael Forbes, a WSU assistant professor of physics and astronomy and an affiliate assistant professor at the University of Washington. The research appears today in the journal Physical Review Letters, where it is featured as an "Editor's Suggestion."

Hypothetically, matter can have negative mass in the same sense that an electric charge can be either negative or positive. People rarely think in these terms, and our everyday world sees only the positive aspects of Isaac Newton's Second Law of Motion, in which a force is equal to the mass of an object times its acceleration, or F=ma. In other words, if you push an object, it will accelerate in the direction you're pushing it. Mass will accelerate in the direction of the force.

"That's what most things that we're used to do," said Forbes, hinting at the bizarreness to come. "With negative mass, if you push something, it accelerates toward you."
source
Well, can it?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Having some difficulty accepting this at face value at the moment, and trying to do a little digging. But really, the idea of "negative mass" is somewhat bewildering, and if this was written on April 1, I'd skip it altogether.
(you
One can't help but wonder, for example, how negative mass would behave in a conversion a la E=mC squared. You'd have energy sucked up like bloody crazy!

Sorry, just haven't bought in yet.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

"Washington State University physicists have created a fluid with negative mass, which is exactly what it sounds like. Push it, and unlike every physical object in the world we know, it doesn't accelerate in the direction it was pushed. It accelerates backwards.

The phenomenon is rarely created in laboratory conditions and can be used to explore some of the more challenging concepts of the cosmos, said Michael Forbes, a WSU assistant professor of physics and astronomy and an affiliate assistant professor at the University of Washington. The research appears today in the journal Physical Review Letters, where it is featured as an "Editor's Suggestion."

Hypothetically, matter can have negative mass in the same sense that an electric charge can be either negative or positive. People rarely think in these terms, and our everyday world sees only the positive aspects of Isaac Newton's Second Law of Motion, in which a force is equal to the mass of an object times its acceleration, or F=ma. In other words, if you push an object, it will accelerate in the direction you're pushing it. Mass will accelerate in the direction of the force.

"That's what most things that we're used to do," said Forbes, hinting at the bizarreness to come. "With negative mass, if you push something, it accelerates toward you."
source
Well, can it?

I don't see how you can avoid increasing entropy when doing work with negative mass.
So no perpetual motion machine.
But the bigger reason is that it would be too good to be true, ie, a free lunch violates
the 5th Law Of Thermodynamics.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I definitely want to read the original article. I suspect it would be both fascinating (if I could understand enough of the jargon) and not quiet so much what it is being represented as.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I definitely want to read the original article. I suspect it would be both fascinating (if I could understand enough of the jargon) and not quiet so much what it is being represented as.
I have access. No its not that revolutionary.
Negative-Mass Hydrodynamics in a Spin-Orbit–Coupled Bose-Einstein Condensate
Phys. Rev. Lett. 118, 155301 – Published 10 April 2017

Its basically an idea of negative "effective Newtonian" mass for a system as it accelerates in a direction opposite to that of the applied force. The introduction say:-

"Newton’s laws dictate that objects accelerate in proportion to the applied force. An object’s mass is generally positive, and the acceleration is thus in the same direction as the force. In some systems, however, one finds that objects can accelerate against the applied force, realizing a negative effective mass related to a negative curvature of the underlying dispersion relation. Dispersions with negative curvature are playing an increasingly important role in quantum hydrodynamics, fluid dynamics, and optics [1–8]. Superfluid Bose-Einstein condensates (becs) provide a particularly lucrative playground to investigate this effect, due to their high reproducibility, tunability, and parametric control. In this letter we report on the experimental observation of negative mass dynamics in a spin-orbit coupled (soc) bec. Modeling the experiments with a single-band Gross-Pitaevskii (gp) approach, we clarify the underlying role of the dispersion relation."

I can probably figure the paper out if I tried, but it looks conventional physics and the novelty is the realization of this state through clever experimentation. So I will give it a pass. More importantly, this has no bearing on such stuff as gravitational mass, E=mc^2 etc.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
An experiment then. Involving the fluid, neodymium magnets, and electrical currents.

Mad Enstien.

shmogie

Interesting.

source
Well, can it?

If it has negative mass, does that mean it floats when you drop it ? If you apply E= MC squared, would it convert to negative energy ?

source
Well, can it?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Interesting.

If it has negative mass, does that mean it floats when you drop it ? If you apply E= MC squared, would it convert to negative energy ?
True

You would think it levitates. Most likely it's in a stable state. Wonder how it reacts under variable pressure, in a vacuum, with temperature variances.

SpiritQuest

The Immortal Man
I recall reading something about exotic energy or negative mass could theoretically be used to construct traversable wormholes.

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
Link to article, please ??

source
Well, can it?

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
Thanks. Very interesting work. As we enter the realm of quantum computing... these type of phenomenon will become important.

Click on the "source" right above the "Well, can it?" Whenever I quote any source I provide a link right under it.