• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Piercings.

theonetemplar

My feelings on piercings are thus: God created us in His image, and that it is wrong to change what God wanted for you. Also, one could consider it at a point, to be self-mutilation, which is a sin.

-God Bless
Templar

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
I have decided thus far in my studies that I agree with the concept of:

any divine being worth my time would not be concerned with worship or what I do with my earthly body. The food we put into it I believe does more damage half the time than a piercing. Piercings are just decorative. What I do with my spiritual body on the other hand, I would be much more open to concerns regarding that. Being able to learn and grow spiritually is more important than how you express yourself with your body, imo.

And, moderation. Anything in the extreme usually ends up being a hinderance rather than a method for growth.

All I have is my ears stretched to 8, and the top and bottom of my navel pierced.

Last edited:

ryynänen47

Little Old Heathen Lady
I dont know what Asatru/Heathenry says about piercing and tats. I'm against wearing them for meself because the people I see with pierced eyebrows and lips look weird to me. I happen to like the tribal Celtic and Samoan tattoos; they have spiritual meaning and are beautiful. I dont like the tattoos which look like slave-owner brands, i.e names on the neck and arms.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
Tattoos and body modification have been an essential part of tribal culture for thousands of years, and now there is a thriving culture for body modification in the west, even those religious societies who frown upon it have followers who choose to express their individuallity through body art.
This is true, then again Dan is a smart man so there was no really reason for me to say this ^_^ But I have notice that it's interesting that has time goes on the old way(or at lest part of ancient culture) all was finds a way back into society some how.

I had my nipple pierced years ago, and at a certain point I felt its time to take it off, I still have a ring earring on my left ear, and had it for most of my life perhaps.
You bad boy you.
I've had my left ear priced before. But it was done by a friend and bleed really bad and I had to take it out after a few days. When I do get it priced again it will be done by a professional.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Religiously, there is nothing really wrong with tattoos or piercings in Wicca. "An' it harm none do what you will" and all that you know. Personally though, it's about what is tasteful for me. A few well done and tasteful tattoos are fine. I have a couple myself and would consider one or two more eventually. Full body coverage and/or anything vulgar I find repulsive. Piercings are much the same way. Traditional ear piercings are nice, but having them all throughout the ear or especially the extra big ones where the lobes are stretched all out I find rather disgusting. Piercings of the genitals, nipples and some face piercings I find bad too. They are just turn-offs for me. Religiously, if that is what you want to do with your body then that is fine. Personally, I just don't like a lot of it. I won't condemn a person for having them...but I can easily say I would never find myself attracted to a person with gobs of tats and piercings...or likely even find them good looking. Just not my thing.

Andal

resident hypnotist
body piercings are cool with us. ladies usually have their ears pierced and sometimes their noses too. some of us who can't have nose piercings because of work or whatever, can wear fake ones. in vedic times guys wore earrings too but that doesn't seem as popular any more. also there are entire festivals that involve piercing the body with large hooks. check out thaipusam.

Thaipusam-Kavadi_0081.jpg

Elessar

I don't think there's any problem with any piercing as long as it doesn't directly endanger your health, and, as far as I know, there are no rules about piercings whatsoever in Judaism (except, that a piercing in the ear of a man is considered a mark of slavery)

Tattoos are much more strictly controlled (that is, prohibited), but there are mentions of piercings on different parts of the body throughout the Hebrew Scriptures - for one notable example, when Avraham's servant placed a ring in Rivkah's nose when betrothing her to Yitzchak.