• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pledge of Allegence

Should the words 'under god' be cut out of the pledge?

• Total voters

bender118

Isn't there an article creating a seperation of church and state?
it should be removed.It involves religion, and thus should be removed. Besides, we only added under god to the pledge during the 50s to sperate us from the godless communist heathens

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
I voted in favor of taking the phrase under God out of the pledge.

I'd think since we call our country the United States, taking God out of the pledge would just be testament to what unity we still have left.

Of course, I don't think anyone should be forced to say the pledge, either. Unfortunately, schools in my area have determined it to be insubordination, which I believe can lead to a child being suspended, expelled, or even arrested.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
GeneCosta said:
Of course, I don't think anyone should be forced to say the pledge, either. Unfortunately, schools in my area have determined it to be insubordination, which I believe can lead to a child being suspended, expelled, or even arrested.
They're going against a Supreme Court ruling. If anyone was to challenge them in court over it, they'd be in a lot of hot water very fast.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
It could be empty threats. Most of the time there is always someone in my class who doesn't stand, and they're usually threatened by the teacher. I guess if it came down to it the students could get away with it, but being threatened with going to jail sure provokes a kid.

Scott1

Religion/God has no place in a national anthem.... unless Vatican City has one..... but for sure not in the USA.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
GeneCosta said:
It could be empty threats. Most of the time there is always someone in my class who doesn't stand, and they're usually threatened by the teacher. I guess if it came down to it the students could get away with it, but being threatened with going to jail sure provokes a kid.
There's no "could" to it... it is an empty threat. They cannot punish a student for sitting down during the pledge. Even threatening them with action is questionable.

Do they honestly tell them they'll go to jail?!

gnostic

The Lost One
Alaric said:
The government and courts can and do handle more than one thing at a time. Eisenhower took the time to put it in, so Bush can take the time to take it out.
That's not very likely to happen, Alaric. You are talking about Bush here, who think God told him to go to war in Iraq and that God gave him victory. Did God tell him how to win the peace? I think God left that one out.

As to the OP. This is something for Americans to debate about, but personally I think state and religion should remain separate. Too much headache to mix it.

So being an outsider, I am not going to vote on the poll.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
Mr Spinkles said:
Ok, I'm an atheist. I don't believe in God. But even I don't have a problem with the whole "under God" thing.
I am also an atheist, and I have a serious problem with the "under God" thing. Having these words in the pledge of allegiance implies that atheists are not "good" Americans--that we are not really a legitimate part of this "one nation, under God." (The same is true of the words "In God We Trust" on our money.) Going one step further, why do we need a pledge of allegiance in the first place? It should be assumed that all Americans are loyal to their country, unless they demonstrate otherwise. What does reciting a pledge prove? An American citizen who is plotting to commit terrorist acts against this country would have no problem reciting the pledge. That, and plenty of flag-waving, would only improve his/her patriotic disguise.

Booko

Deviled Hen
As I've said in a similar thread once before, I favor using the pledge our Founding Dads did.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
One item of note...this thread had been dormant over a year when atheistaj resurrected it on Halloween 2005, and then lay in wait until last Tuesday when indecisive cookies!!! blew the dust off it. :p

Booko alluded to another thread(s), and I have posted my views on the subject more than once, so I pledge, Under God, not to rehash.:D

The Pledge of Allegiance is not going to change in our life times. No one in Congress is stupid enough to commit political suicide by proposing it, and if any court were to strike it down, the ensuing firestorm about 'liberal activist judges' would drive enough Democrats to join the Republicans who want a Constitutional Amendment 'protecting' the Pledge.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I agree with Painted Wolf. Why pledge to a material symbol that can be burnt, torn, destroyed, and is very weak? Personally, I find the notion of pledging an allegence to a flag to be extremely materialistic and degrading.

RevOxley_501

Luke Wolf said:
I agree with Painted Wolf. Why pledge to a material symbol that can be burnt, torn, destroyed, and is very weak? Personally, I find the notion of pledging an allegence to a flag to be extremely materialistic and degrading.

i thoroughly agree with you--i stopped pledging about 6 months before 9-11, havent dont it since--it just feels wrong. So if underGod is taken out, i woudnt care--this nation is not meant to be Christian--so why pretend

Smoke

Done here.
RevOxley_501 said:
i thoroughly agree with you--i stopped pledging about 6 months before 9-11, havent dont it since--it just feels wrong. So if underGod is taken out, i woudnt care--this nation is not meant to be Christian--so why pretend
Jehovah's Witnesses say that to pledge allegiance to a flag or a republic is idolatrous, and I agree with them completely on that point. Pledges and vows are also directly contrary to the teachings of Jesus. Isn't it interesting that the proponents of including God in the pledge are the people who imagine themselves to be carrying out Jesus' will?

I don't say the pledge for a number of reasons, but if there's to be a pledge, it ought to be, as Booko says, the pledge adopted by our Founding Fathers: none.

RevOxley_501

MidnightBlue said:
Jehovah's Witnesses say that to pledge allegiance to a flag or a republic is idolatrous, and I agree with them completely on that point. Pledges and vows are also directly contrary to the teachings of Jesus. Isn't it interesting that the proponents of including God in the pledge are the people who imagine themselves to be carrying out Jesus' will?

I don't say the pledge for a number of reasons, but if there's to be a pledge, it ought to be, as Booko says, the pledge adopted by our Founding Fathers: none.

God forbid i be asked to fulfil a pledge to a country and a government that suddenly turns to tyranny ( i will point no fingers)--i stopped when i lost all pride in being amerikan, then i realized i never should have because its idolotry. I wont be alleigant to a country that starts wars over silly things

Booko said:
As I've said in a similar thread once before, I favor using the pledge our Founding Dads did.

The thing is that "under God" wasnt originally in the pledge. It was added in the 50s to combat Communism. The Government added it to show that America wasnt like the "Godless" Commies.

To me the issue isnt a big issue. If it came down to a vote, i would vote to remove it because its intention is no longer valid. as far as im concerned, the US is a secular nation. Which is why I support the removal of any religious symbol from federal property.

Fluffy

A fool
Remove it. Religion and State should be kept seperate.

Actually, thinking about it, I'd favour removing the entire thing. Traditions as a whole should be kept out of state functions.