• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll- Do You Fear Death?

Do You Fear Death?

• Total voters

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I can honestly and really say that I don't "fear" death. I do fear dying a bad death, as that would hurt, but I don't fear the thing itself.

Fearing death is pointless because you can't stop death.

Rakhel

I don't know if I fear death. I know I don't want to die just yet. But do I fear it? I have come close once when I was told I had lung cancer and 6 months to live(Long story short, I am still here). But I think my mother feared my dying more than I did.

All you have to do is make out a living will. You can tell the doctors beforehand if you do not wish for extraordinary measures to be taken.

My mother didn't want extraordinary measures and died at home of thirst. She was too weak to take fluid and her mind was mostly gone. However at age 93 that sounds pretty close to a natural death to me.
This is not so easy. Some states(California) do not honor DNRs. There are ways around it, if you know how, but this is slightly illegal, so I will leave it at that.

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
If I were faced with death, I would gladly go down with a fight. I have no fear of death. Now obviously if it was sudden and unexpected, I would be frightened as a natural bodily reaction. However, if I had time to realize what was happening, I would greet it with Honour.

I sound rather grim... However it is truthful. And I must say, just finishing Braveheart only strengthens that feeling :D

jmvizanko

Uber Tool
I don't fear death nearly as much as the extreme amount of pain I'll likely be going through before I die. Which is why my method of suicide would be a grenade strapped to the head; instant transference from healthy to non existent.

There is nothing to fear if there is no afterlife. Its a bit of a depressing thought, but not scary. Honestly, I think an afterlife is scarier than no afterlife. How do we know we aren't all wrong and there is just an absolutely evil god that tortures everyone forever? I don't worry about such things, but then, who really knows what is on the other side?

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
I don't fear death, but like others have already pointed out, I'm not too thrilled about how I might die. But death itself holds no fear for me. I disdain this life enough that death is a welcome change (I know that sounds a bit pessimistic, but this 'reality' isn't all it's cracked up to be). Death is as natural as life, and is the end of all living beings. Life, like all things in life, are impermanent and in a constant state of change, of which death is the ultimate change. Of course, belief in rebirth helps some.

chinu

chinu
"i" don't fear death, but like others have already pointed out, I'm not too thrilled about how I might die. But death itself holds no fear for me. I disdain this life enough that death is a welcome change (I know that sounds a bit pessimistic, but this 'reality' isn't all it's cracked up to be). Death is as natural as life, and is the end of all living beings. Life, like all things in life, are impermanent and in a constant state of change, of which death is the ultimate change. Of course, belief in rebirth helps some.

Till there is"i" there is fear, when there is no"i" then where is fear ? :)

_/\_
Chinu

chinu

chinu
"i" dont fear death...because I have already died a number of times.. ;)

_/\_
Chinu

progress.gif

chinu

chinu
"i" don't fear death nearly as much as the extreme amount of pain I'll likely be going through before I die. Which is why my method of suicide would be a grenade strapped to the head; instant transference from healthy to non existent.

There is nothing to fear if there is no afterlife. Its a bit of a depressing thought, but not scary. Honestly, I think an afterlife is scarier than no afterlife. How do we know we aren't all wrong and there is just an absolutely evil god that tortures everyone forever? I don't worry about such things, but then, who really knows what is on the other side?

_/\_
Chinu

chinu

chinu
"i"am not afraid of death because there are only two possibilities 1. an afterlife 2. extinction.

The first possibility is covered by a good relationship with God. The second I won't need to worry about.

I died young in my previous life and I think that I resented that somewhat. I have since made my peace with God about it and now that I am old, I am not so sure that it is so wonderful. I like being young much better. The problem that I have with being young is the lack of wisdom. It would be great if I could have a young body and the wisdom of the ages.

_/\_
Chinu

DarkSun

:eltiT
I think some people are, perhaps, not being fully honest with themselves. Most creatures on this planet have a fear of death and pain; it is natural selection at work and it helps a species survive. Fear of death is bred into our bones; that is what makes the human condition so unique and special, in my opinion.

I think most people are just giving the logical answer, and not the answer that's actually true.

Rakhel

I fear pain more than death. I fear my children dying more than I fear dying myself. I don't see how that is not being honest. NO, I don't want to die, but I do realize that my life on this planet is limited so why worry.

I was told 8 years ago, at the age of 30, I had lung cancer and that I had 6 months to live. I had more tests done on me than I care to remember. Hell, I even had a will drawn up. The doctor told me nothing when he said I didn't need to make another appointment. It took another doctor and another x-ray to tell me I did not have cancer because the nodules that said I did no longer existed.

Why fear something you know will happen anyway and really have little control over?

chinu

chinu
Yeah, try telling somebody dying of cancer some psychobabble like "they don't exist" and let me know how that goes for you.

Like very far away from normal life in the mountains somebody is dying in the lonliness.:)

_/\_
Chinu