• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: "no such thing as society"

Is there such a thing as society?

• No, there is no society

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
You're a strange little man.

Well, do you have evidence for that or it is in the end a relative feeling in you and not a fact about me?

You really want a compromise, right? Okay, but unless you can show that I am not according what it is you consider "correct" for humans as such, you have to accept that I maybe strange, but I am still a human covered by "correct".
That is the game of compromise in the end. We find a compromise beyond your "correct" and mine.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Bizarre argumentative personal posts.

Do you have any evidence for that or is your post a bizarre argumentative personal post itself?
As always you and I do, what we ought to do, as what matters, when you do it, I just point you doing it and then I do it with variation differently.
Remember morality is relative, right?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes, we are both in part subjective. I agree.
I wonder....
Is it only recently that you discovered the significance
of the difference between subjective & objective views?
I ask because your posts harp on this 95.2% of the time.
It reminds me of recent converts, who see everything
thru the lens of their new beliefs. They just can't stop
going on & on about their new obsession.

The rest of us have long been familiar with the concepts,
& this awareness underlies our posts. I suggest considering
& addressing the issues under discussion, instead of
obsessing over recognizing subjectivity.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I wonder....
Is it only recently that you discovered the significance
of the difference between subjective & objective views?
I ask because your posts harp on this 95.2% of the time.
It reminds me of recent converts, who see everything
thru the lens of their new beliefs. They just can't stop
going on & on about their new obsession.

The rest of us have long been familiar with the concepts,
& this awareness underlies our posts. I suggest considering
& addressing the issues under discussion, instead of
obsessing over recognizing subjectivity.

Because when we get to the nuts and bolts of it, you can't recognize when you are subjective.
That is it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Because when we get to the nuts and bolts of it, you can't recognize when you are subjective.
That is it.
That's a comforting belief.
It allows one to dismiss ad hoc the loathed views of others.
One gets to feel superior without ever making a cogent rebuttal.
But it's merely tu quoque.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
That's a comforting belief.
It allows one to dismiss ad hoc the loathed views of others.
One gets to feel superior without ever making a cogent rebuttal.
But it's merely tu quoque.

Well, it is about social service and lazy people, if you want to rehash it. And if you like evil systems.

Zwing

I've been parts of communities which absolutely do more to care for individuals than their family.
I wonder, where are you…what country, and what region thereof. I think that this varies greatly by culture and region. Your experience has not been mine here in the northeastern U.S., which by most accounts is one of the most mean-spirited regions of this country. People here are very self-absorbed; as my friend who moved to Texas after college has told me: “People in New England are just very tight”. He attributes this to the intense mix of ethnicities that settled here in the late 1800s, and the ensuing tribalistic enmity that followed. I myself do not know what to attribute it to other than to think that the relative affluence experienced here might contribute, but it has made me sonewhat antisocial in my opinions. I don’t particularly trust society, only certain individuals therewithin.

Last edited:

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I wonder, where are you…what country, and what region thereof. I think that this varies greatly by culture and region. Your experience has not been mine here in the northeastern U.S., which by most accounts is one of the most mean-spirited regions of this country. People here are very self-absorbed; as my friend who moved to Texas after college has told me: “People in New England are just very tight”. He attributes this to the intense mix of ethnicities that settled here in the late 1800s, and the ensuing tribalistic enmity that followed. I myself do not know what to attribute it to other than to think that the relative affluence experienced here might contribute, but it has made me very antisocial in my opinions, almost to the point of sociopathy. I don’t trust or like society, only certain individuals therewithin.

Well, as a Dane I am in effect socialized in part collectively as a we with trust towards other people and the government. There is more to it than that, but that is a part of it.

Zwing

Well, as a Dane I am in effect socialized in part collectively as a we with trust towards other people and the government. There is more to it than that, but that is a part of it.
I wish that I could live in a society wherein I could feel that way.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I wish that I could live in a society wherein I could feel that way.

Well, if you can't get to another culture you could try some other paths. Inner peace and/or a sub-culture that can give you a community. But I can't tell you how to do that as you, because I am not you. :)

Zwing

Well, if you can't get to another culture you could try some other paths. Inner peace and/or a sub-culture that can give you a community. But I can't tell you how to do that as you, because I am not you. :)
If I’m being entirely honest, I think that part of why I have difficulty with community derives from within myself, to wit, my incredibly competitive nature. In unequal societies such as we have, I feel wildly displeased whenever I encounter another who seems to be doing better than I, or who has a prettier girlfriend, etc., etc. This leads me to think that I could only ever find true peace in a society wherein all resources, authority, and responsibilities are shared equally amongst the population. Alas, such an equal society does not exist. So long as there is any disequality, I shall reckon success as becoming the greater of the disequal, annd should I lack success I shall be disgruntled.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
If I’m being entirely honest, I think that part of why I have difficulty with community derives from within myself, to wit, my incredibly competitive nature. In unequal societies such as we have, I feel wildly displeased whenever I encounter another who seems to be doing better than I, or who has a prettier girlfriend, etc., etc. This leads me to think that I could only ever find true peace in a society wherein all resources, authority, and responsibilities are shared equally amongst the population. Alas, that society does not exist.

Okay, I get you. But nobody even in Denmark are equal as such doing to being totally equal. We help each other, but we don't consider anybody better as such. Rather we try to become the best version of ourselves individually.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I wonder, where are you…what country, and what region thereof. I think that this varies greatly by culture and region. Your experience has not been mine here in the northeastern U.S., which by most accounts is one of the most mean-spirited regions of this country. People here are very self-absorbed; as my friend who moved to Texas after college has told me: “People in New England are just very tight”. He attributes this to the intense mix of ethnicities that settled here in the late 1800s, and the ensuing tribalistic enmity that followed. I myself do not know what to attribute it to other than to think that the relative affluence experienced here might contribute, but it has made me very antisocial in my opinions, almost to the point of sociopathy. I don’t trust or like society, only certain individuals therewithin.
I live in Melbourne, Australia.
I'm not suggesting community is universally great at looking out for each other, or even commonly so.
But families aren't either.

Community can act as a safety net for the most vulnerable, and enhance the richness of life for the rest.