• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poor People's Campaign Readies Nationwide Mobilization

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
'Poor People's Campaign' readies nationwide mobilization

The renewed version of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s campaign to lift poor people is holding its first national mobilization, with actions and events planned Monday in 32 states and the nation's capital.

The campaign is especially important now because the leaders who don't want to help the poor "should not have a free hand to say and do whatever they want and there be no resistance," he said.

Led by the Revs. William Barber of North Carolina and Liz Theoharis of New York, the campaign officially began Dec. 4, 50 years after King started the first Poor People's Campaign. King was assassinated a few months later and "nobody really picked it up" until now, Mendez said.

The letters to politicians call for a new course in government. "Our faith traditions and state and federal constitutions all testify to the immorality of an economy that leaves out the poor, yet our political discourse consistently ignores the 140 million poor and low-income people in America," the letter states.

Leslie Boyd of Candler has followed Barber since he began the "Moral Monday" protest movement in North Carolina almost five years ago. Her son, Mike Danforth, was 33 when he died of colon cancer in 2008 because he lacked insurance even though he had a job and couldn't afford the yearly colonoscopies that he needed.

Her hope for the campaign is that it changes what she sees as a national narrative that not only blames the poor for the poverty but uses religion to do so. Too many people believe that "if you were a good person, Jesus would bless you," she said.

U.S. Census figures show that the poverty rate among blacks was 22 percent in 2016, while it was almost 9 percent among whites. But in sheer numbers, almost 17.5 million white people are classified as living in poverty, compared to 8.7 million blacks. The U.S. poverty rate was almost 13 percent in 2016.

"It's not immoral to be poor," said Boyd, 65. "It's immoral to make people poor with our actions as a government and as a people."

FUNDAMENTAL PRINCIPLES - Poor People's Campaign

FUNDAMENTAL PRINCIPLES

1. 1. We are rooted in a moral analysis based on our deepest religious and constitutional values that demand justice for all. Moral revival is necessary to save the heart and soul of our democracy.

1. 2. We are committed to lifting up and deepening the leadership of those most affected by systemic racism, poverty, the war economy, and ecological devastation and to building unity across lines of division.

1. 3. We believe in the dismantling of unjust criminalization systems that exploit poor communities and communities of color and the transformation of the “War Economy” into a “Peace Economy” that values all humanity.

1. 4. We believe that equal protection under the law is non-negotiable.

1. 5. We believe that people should not live in or die from poverty in the richest nation ever to exist. Blaming the poor and claiming that the United States does not have an abundance of resources to overcome poverty are false narratives used to perpetuate economic exploitation, exclusion, and deep inequality.

1. 6. We recognize the centrality of systemic racism in maintaining economic oppression must be named, detailed and exposed empirically, morally and spiritually. Poverty and economic inequality cannot be understood apart from a society built on white supremacy.

1. 7. We aim to shift the distorted moral narrative often promoted by religious extremists in the nation from personal issues like prayer in school, abortion, sexuality, gun rights, property rights to systemic injustices like how our society treats the poor, those on the margins, the least of these, women, children, workers, immigrants and the sick; equality and representation under the law; and the desire for peace, love and harmony within and among nations.

1. 8. We will build up the power of people and state-based movements to serve as a vehicle for a powerful moral movement in the country and to transform the political, economic and moral structures of our society.

1. 9. We recognize the need to organize at the state and local level—many of the most regressive policies are being passed at the state level, and these policies will have long and lasting effect, past even executive orders. The movement is not from above but below.

1. 10. We will do our work in a non-partisan way—no elected officials or candidates get the stage or serve on the State Organizing Committee of the Campaign. This is not about left and right, Democrat or Republican but about right and wrong.

1. 11. We uphold the need to do a season of sustained nonviolent civil disobedience as a way to break through the tweets and shift the moral narrative. We are demonstrating the power of people coming together across issues and geography and putting our bodies on the line to the issues that are affecting us all.

1. 12. The Campaign and all its Participants and Endorsers embrace nonviolence. Violent tactics or actions will not be tolerated.

A good, righteous cause to get behind, for both religious and non-religious alike. I especially like #10: "This is not about left and right, Democrat or Republican but about right and wrong."

The poor and the lower classes will not be ignored or swept aside. What do you think?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
It seems like there's a lot of "let's blame someone else for our problems so we can tell them what to do and how much to give us..." in this manifesto.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I propose #13......
We will hold down jobs, work diligently to improve ourselves, &
become productive taxpayers instead of being a burden upon them.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It seems like there's a lot of "let's blame someone else for our problems so we can tell them what to do and how much to give us..." in this manifesto.

I think they address your point in item #5: "We believe that people should not live in or die from poverty in the richest nation ever to exist. Blaming the poor and claiming that the United States does not have an abundance of resources to overcome poverty are false narratives used to perpetuate economic exploitation, exclusion, and deep inequality."

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
They left off #13......
We will hold down jobs, work diligently to improve ourselves, &
become productive taxpayers instead of being a burden upon them.

A lot of poor people do hold down jobs, so your strawman argument here is irrelevant.

It's the wealthy who are the burden, since they collect so much money and do absolutely nothing to earn it. They're nothing more than con men and leeches. None of them earned their money, so they are the true burdens while deceiving the public that they're actually doing something. They do nothing.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I think they address your point in item #5: "We believe that people should not live in or die from poverty in the richest nation ever to exist. Blaming the poor and claiming that the United States does not have an abundance of resources to overcome poverty are false narratives used to perpetuate economic exploitation, exclusion, and deep inequality."

A lot of poor people do hold down jobs, so your strawman argument here is irrelevant.

It's the wealthy who are the burden, since they collect so much money and do absolutely nothing to earn it. They're nothing more than con men and leeches. None of them earned their money, so they are the true burdens while deceiving the public that they're actually doing something. They do nothing.

You, Sir or Madam, have just made my point. Thank you.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Many do, but many don't.
And those who don't should commit to becoming gainfully employed.

Consider the spirit of broad generalization in their "Fundamental Principles".
The many histrionic & hyperbolic claims like "systemic racism in maintaining
economic oppression" are hardly fair towards people they see as the enemy.
So I offered #13 in a slightly less hyperbolic spirit.
And if they complied, they'd be far better off than pursuing the first 12 principles.
Those are very interesting claims.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
@Revoltingest and @BSM1, I might have asked you about this before, but what are your opinions on the rate of wage inequality now compared to at any other post WW2 period?

Not really talking about the middle class, here, but more the truly wealthy.

As a slightly less interesting bonus question, how do you feel about America's position compared to other first world nations?

I'm more interested in a pragmatic response than an idealogical one, but it's obviously up to you guys.

There is a tonne of data out there, but in case it's useful, this is pretty decent.

Income Inequality - Our World in Data

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
@Revoltingest and @BSM1, I might have asked you about this before, but what are your opinions on the rate of wage inequality now compared to at any other post WW2 period?

Not really talking about the middle class, here, but more the truly wealthy.

As a slightly less interesting bonus question, how do you feel about America's position compared to other first world nations?

I'm more interested in a pragmatic response than an idealogical one, but it's obviously up to you guys.

There is a tonne of data out there, but in case it's useful, this is pretty decent.

Income Inequality - Our World in Data
Income equality is a looming problem.
And I predict it will get worse as automation replaces workers.
I don't have a solution, but I think guaranteed income & single
payer health care will happen, & mitigate the problem.
Interesting times lay ahead.

As for ideology, I only advocate that whatever public policies address
the problems, they should maximize social & economic liberty.
The best ideological approach to any political problem is a pragmatic one.
Without pragmatism, you get ignored....or assassinated.

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
What about #14 Ensure the disenfranchised received skills training that will enhance their ability to obtain work, including a high school diploma and motivational counseling, as needed. Heck, I'd even pay them to attend such courses... as long as they are active members of the training program.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
'Poor People's Campaign' readies nationwide mobilization

FUNDAMENTAL PRINCIPLES - Poor People's Campaign

FUNDAMENTAL PRINCIPLES

1. 1. We are rooted in a moral analysis based on our deepest religious and constitutional values that demand justice for all. Moral revival is necessary to save the heart and soul of our democracy.

1. 2. We are committed to lifting up and deepening the leadership of those most affected by systemic racism, poverty, the war economy, and ecological devastation and to building unity across lines of division.

1. 3. We believe in the dismantling of unjust criminalization systems that exploit poor communities and communities of color and the transformation of the “War Economy” into a “Peace Economy” that values all humanity.

1. 4. We believe that equal protection under the law is non-negotiable.

1. 5. We believe that people should not live in or die from poverty in the richest nation ever to exist. Blaming the poor and claiming that the United States does not have an abundance of resources to overcome poverty are false narratives used to perpetuate economic exploitation, exclusion, and deep inequality.

1. 6. We recognize the centrality of systemic racism in maintaining economic oppression must be named, detailed and exposed empirically, morally and spiritually. Poverty and economic inequality cannot be understood apart from a society built on white supremacy.

1. 7. We aim to shift the distorted moral narrative often promoted by religious extremists in the nation from personal issues like prayer in school, abortion, sexuality, gun rights, property rights to systemic injustices like how our society treats the poor, those on the margins, the least of these, women, children, workers, immigrants and the sick; equality and representation under the law; and the desire for peace, love and harmony within and among nations.

1. 8. We will build up the power of people and state-based movements to serve as a vehicle for a powerful moral movement in the country and to transform the political, economic and moral structures of our society.

1. 9. We recognize the need to organize at the state and local level—many of the most regressive policies are being passed at the state level, and these policies will have long and lasting effect, past even executive orders. The movement is not from above but below.

1. 10. We will do our work in a non-partisan way—no elected officials or candidates get the stage or serve on the State Organizing Committee of the Campaign. This is not about left and right, Democrat or Republican but about right and wrong.

1. 11. We uphold the need to do a season of sustained nonviolent civil disobedience as a way to break through the tweets and shift the moral narrative. We are demonstrating the power of people coming together across issues and geography and putting our bodies on the line to the issues that are affecting us all.

1. 12. The Campaign and all its Participants and Endorsers embrace nonviolence. Violent tactics or actions will not be tolerated.
A good, righteous cause to get behind, for both religious and non-religious alike. I especially like #10: "This is not about left and right, Democrat or Republican but about right and wrong."

The poor and the lower classes will not be ignored or swept aside. What do you think?

What happen when this was tried before?

You can't expect the government to solve the problem of poverty. It can't even balance it's own budget. You may get some lip service to help some politicians get themselves elected then the poor and lower classes will be ignored and swept aside like always.

There is only so much an economy can do to support its poor.

Rich folks know how to be rich but they are private citizens. They'll will help according to their own compassion. However most of them want to see self reliance in a person and that's who'll they'll tend to support. So this may few a few who already have it themselves to be self reliant. The rest, left to rely on the government, well the government can't even help itself, so I don't expect much.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What about #14 Ensure the disenfranchised received skills training that will enhance their ability to obtain work, including a high school diploma and motivational counseling, as needed.
Do you think they'll incorporate our proposed additions?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

This is kind of weird thinking the wealthy are a burden are nothing more than con men leeches. This is just as much of a strawman.

Folks have to know how to deal with money, work with the economy, otherwise they don't stay rich for very long. It's a skill set along with personal characteristic my people don't possess.

These are the folks you'd need the poor to emulate to whatever degree they are capable of to allow them to become more affluent. Instead you demonize them.

You need to make the poor think and act like the rich. Education maybe, but our current system seems incapable of providing the education necessary.

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Not unless they start thinking like the rich folks. Then if they ever did that, problem solved.
Hell, I'm only comfortably well off and I agree with what you have said on the topic. This toxic "eat the rich piggies" has to end. Folks are not poor because of Bill Gates or Warren Buffet, et al. They are poor because, for whatever reason, they do not have the necessary skill set to make it in our society. Address that shortfall and you will shrink the pool of poor people. If anything, the poor have to be inspired to raise themselves out of their own situation.

Orbit

I'm a planet
Hell, I'm only comfortably well off and I agree with what you have said on the topic. This toxic "eat the rich piggies" has to end. Folks are not poor because of Bill Gates or Warren Buffet, et al. They are poor because, for whatever reason, they do not have the necessary skill set to make it in our society. Address that shortfall and you will shrink the pool of poor people. If anything, the poor have to be inspired to raise themselves out of their own situation.

How do you raise yourself out of a minimum wage job, especially if you have kids? Try it and see how far you get.