• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poor People's Campaign Readies Nationwide Mobilization

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
All I have to do is point out that HE is using a dramatic instance to make the claim that what he did is possible for everyone. The fact that 80% of the US population dies in the same social class they were born into is not something I should have to establish--that's well known enough.

He pointed out that it was possible, not that it is possible for everyone. So maybe better to learn from his experience.

While we need to accept that there are some who are either physically or mentally incapable of providing for themselves, for the rest we need solutions to helping them become self supportive.

We need to learn from those who have succeeded.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
All I have to do is point out that HE is using a dramatic instance to make the claim that what he did is possible for everyone. The fact that 80% of the US population dies in the same social class they were born into is not something I should have to establish--that's well known enough.

Point taken but I never meant to make that claim. I came from a very meager background, but I always considered my circumstances as being "broke" as opposed to "poor". I have worked for everything I have set my mind on in this life and I realize that there are no guarantees. I guess what I am saying if you believe you're poor, then you will be; if you believe you won't make, then you won't; if you think someone if richer/prettier/smarter then you, they will be; and if you wait for someone to give it to you, then you may be waiting for the rest of your life.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Point taken but I never meant to make that claim. I came from a very meager background, but I always considered my circumstances as being "broke" as opposed to "poor". I have worked for everything I have set my mind on in this life and I realize that there are no guarantees. I guess what I am saying if you believe you're poor, then you will be; if you believe you won't make, then you won't; if you think someone if richer/prettier/smarter then you, they will be; and if you wait for someone to give it to you, then you may be waiting for the rest of your life.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”
Henry Ford

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”
Henry Ford

That's pretty much true as I think about it. Anytime I really believed I could do something I was able to do it.

Kind of hard to overcome those negative thoughts though at times..

David1967

Premium Member

Is "HE", any relation to "THEY"?

Curious George

Veteran Member
You'd have to show that his experience is in fact dramatic, which you can't know without questioning, and/or what prevents others from following a similar path. You can't just call out the names of fallacies and believe you've made any kind of point.
Actually that can be done. It goes to show that the argument i did it therefore all the others can is fallacious. It is not a logical argument.

Curious George

Veteran Member
He pointed out that it was possible, not that it is possible for everyone. So maybe better to learn from his experience.

While we need to accept that there are some who are either physically or mentally incapable of providing for themselves, for the rest we need solutions to helping them become self supportive.

We need to learn from those who have succeeded.
Perhaps what we have here is the problem of the gotcha post. When someone posts such a short post as orbit did with the question or BSM did with the answer, we are left to wonder and assume exactly what they meant.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That's pretty much true as I think about it. Anytime I really believed I could do something I was able to do it.

One's brain can be the biggest stumbling block to success.
giphy.gif

Curious George

Veteran Member

If only it was belief that was getting into everyone else's way.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
All for it. Next question?

Seriously, what is wealthy? Who decides? How much of someone else's money do you feel entitled to? If you suddenly won the lottery how much will you give me? Isn't this thinly veiled wealth envy? You see the mine field we are stepping into?

No...that's not the intent of the question. The top 1% today in the US are wealthier than they've been (in relative terms compared to society) than at any time since the 20s, with it still trending up.

Forget ideology, in purely pragmatic terms, do you see that as problematic?
I could bring up stats re: education costs which show similar trends.

Isn't there risk in this?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
No...that's not the intent of the question. The top 1% today in the US are wealthier than they've been (in relative terms compared to society) than at any time since the 20s, with it still trending up.

Forget ideology, in purely pragmatic terms, do you see that as problematic?
I could bring up stats re: education costs which show similar trends.

Isn't there risk in this?

Absolutely not. The "wealthy" laugh at those who think they can touch their wealth. Having said that, many would advocate violently taking what doesn't belong to them from others. In some circles that's known as theft.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Absolutely not. The "wealthy" laugh at those who think they can touch their wealth. Having said that, many would advocate violently taking what doesn't belong to them from others. In some circles that's known as theft.
The risk is that the unproductive class will use their (soon to be)
majority to vote in politicians who will redistribute the wealth.
When the IRS steals, it's no longer called "theft".

Last edited:

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
The fact that 80% of the US population dies in the same social class they were born into is not something I should have to establish--that's well known enough.
I didn't request you establish effect, rather, cause.

Actually that can be done.
No, it can't. Well, pardon me, you can believe whatever fancy fills your mind.

It goes to show that the argument i did it therefore all the others can is fallacious.
It doesn't show anything, it is an unsupported claim until it has substantiation.