• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poor People's Campaign Readies Nationwide Mobilization

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Perhaps what we have here is the problem of the gotcha post. When someone posts such a short post as orbit did with the question or BSM did with the answer, we are left to wonder and assume exactly what they meant.

Fair enough. I suppose like most, I fill in, assume non-existent information from my own worldview. :oops:

Curious George

Veteran Member
I didn't request you establish effect, rather, cause.

No, it can't. Well, pardon me, you can believe whatever fancy fills your mind.

It doesn't show anything, it is an unsupported claim until it has substantiation.
Are you suggesting the argument is not fallacious? Or are you just trying to say that Orbit did not prove that it was not true? That something is fallacious doesn't mean that it is not true, it just means that it is a bad argument for the truth of the matter.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Wife's an immigrant who's a Trump fan-natic.
She goes to sleep watching Fox News.
I suppose that if you set the volume low, & can't quite
make out the words, it could be a soothing white noise.
Is white noise racist?

Curious George

Veteran Member
Time for me to fill in the rest from my worldview?;)
Lol. Well played.

I was presented with a personal question that doesn't really address that which I believed us to be concerned. I answered the question by providing a real instance from my life where no amount of believing in myself would have changed my predicament.

The point was simply that there are many factors that can impact our lives and choices which do so regardless of our level of confidence. We can find people with disabilities, maladies, and impediments that exist through no fault of their own and belief will not magically whisk them away.

Nor can, or should, we chalk these predicaments up to "bad life choices." Being homeless is not fun. Being poor is not fun. People struggle. People suffer. Do their choices contribute to this? Sure but so too our societies choices. And to avoid our societal responsibility by placing the blame solely on the individuals who are suffering is the epitome of selfishness.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
What about #14 Ensure the disenfranchised received skills training that will enhance their ability to obtain work, including a high school diploma and motivational counseling, as needed. Heck, I'd even pay them to attend such courses... as long as they are active members of the training program.

I agree, just by adding in drug testing requirement during education, training, and counseling phase. I would be more than happy to help pay for courses.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Lol. Well played.

I was presented with a personal question that doesn't really address that which I believed us to be concerned. I answered the question by providing a real instance from my life where no amount of believing in myself would have changed my predicament.

The point was simply that there are many factors that can impact our lives and choices which do so regardless of our level of confidence. We can find people with disabilities, maladies, and impediments that exist through no fault of their own and belief will not magically whisk them away.

Nor can, or should, we chalk these predicaments up to "bad life choices." Being homeless is not fun. Being poor is not fun. People struggle. People suffer. Do their choices contribute to this? Sure but so too our societies choices. And to avoid our societal responsibility by placing the blame solely on the individuals who are suffering is the epitome of selfishness.
Be sure to not miss the larger point by dwelling upon the exceptions.
The opportunity to make better decisions often presents itself...even
to the poor, disabled, & otherwise disadvantaged.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Lol. Well played.

It's not magically wishing your impediments away. It's believing you can accomplish something in spite of any impediment you might face. You may not be able to do something one way but can figure out a way to get around any obstacle. Not wishful thinking but perseverance and ingenuity.

Like man can't fly but he figured out a way to fly. So you keep going and if you can't do it one way, figure out a different way to go about it.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Be sure to not miss the larger point by dwelling upon the exceptions.
The opportunity to make better decisions often presents itself...even
to the poor, disabled, & otherwise disadvantaged.
Funny, my caution is to be sure not to miss the point by focusing on exceptions wherein people have missed opportunities or made bad choices. It is easy to find faults in other but harder to take responsibility. Now I get that when people go about espousing victimhood you hear them avoiding personal responsibility. I hear the same thing when I hear people blaming poor people.

Curious George

Veteran Member
It's not magically wishing your impediments away. It's believing you can accomplish something in spite of any impediment you might face. You may not be able to do something one way but can figure out a way to get around any obstacle. Not wishful thinking but perseverance and ingenuity.

Like man can't fly but he figured out a way to fly. So you keep going and if you can't do it one way, figure out a different way to go about it.
I believe this is wishful thinking.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Are you suggesting the argument is not fallacious?
I'm suggesting you should show an argument to be fallacious, not just call it.

In claiming the line of argument "I [successfully achieved some goal], so can [others]" is fallacious, you should show that the manner in which they achieved success is not available for the referenced others. If that method is available, or if you don't even know the method in question, and you just go around proclaiming fallacy, you're not productively adding to the debate, you're just being a nonce.

That something is fallacious doesn't mean that it is not true, it just means that it is a bad argument for the truth of the matter.
I know what calling an argument fallacious means, thank you.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
'Poor People's Campaign' readies nationwide mobilization

FUNDAMENTAL PRINCIPLES - Poor People's Campaign

FUNDAMENTAL PRINCIPLES

1. 1. We are rooted in a moral analysis based on our deepest religious and constitutional values that demand justice for all. Moral revival is necessary to save the heart and soul of our democracy.

1. 2. We are committed to lifting up and deepening the leadership of those most affected by systemic racism, poverty, the war economy, and ecological devastation and to building unity across lines of division.

1. 3. We believe in the dismantling of unjust criminalization systems that exploit poor communities and communities of color and the transformation of the “War Economy” into a “Peace Economy” that values all humanity.

1. 4. We believe that equal protection under the law is non-negotiable.

1. 5. We believe that people should not live in or die from poverty in the richest nation ever to exist. Blaming the poor and claiming that the United States does not have an abundance of resources to overcome poverty are false narratives used to perpetuate economic exploitation, exclusion, and deep inequality.

1. 6. We recognize the centrality of systemic racism in maintaining economic oppression must be named, detailed and exposed empirically, morally and spiritually. Poverty and economic inequality cannot be understood apart from a society built on white supremacy.

1. 7. We aim to shift the distorted moral narrative often promoted by religious extremists in the nation from personal issues like prayer in school, abortion, sexuality, gun rights, property rights to systemic injustices like how our society treats the poor, those on the margins, the least of these, women, children, workers, immigrants and the sick; equality and representation under the law; and the desire for peace, love and harmony within and among nations.

1. 8. We will build up the power of people and state-based movements to serve as a vehicle for a powerful moral movement in the country and to transform the political, economic and moral structures of our society.

1. 9. We recognize the need to organize at the state and local level—many of the most regressive policies are being passed at the state level, and these policies will have long and lasting effect, past even executive orders. The movement is not from above but below.

1. 10. We will do our work in a non-partisan way—no elected officials or candidates get the stage or serve on the State Organizing Committee of the Campaign. This is not about left and right, Democrat or Republican but about right and wrong.

1. 11. We uphold the need to do a season of sustained nonviolent civil disobedience as a way to break through the tweets and shift the moral narrative. We are demonstrating the power of people coming together across issues and geography and putting our bodies on the line to the issues that are affecting us all.

1. 12. The Campaign and all its Participants and Endorsers embrace nonviolence. Violent tactics or actions will not be tolerated.
A good, righteous cause to get behind, for both religious and non-religious alike. I especially like #10: "This is not about left and right, Democrat or Republican but about right and wrong."

The poor and the lower classes will not be ignored or swept aside. What do you think?
Hope this works. The lack of empathy for the poor people in US is quite shocking.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Funny, my caution is to be sure not to miss the point by focusing on exceptions wherein people have missed opportunities or made bad choices. It is easy to find faults in other but harder to take responsibility. Now I get that when people go about espousing victimhood you hear them avoiding personal responsibility. I hear the same thing when I hear people blaming poor people.
Some of the poor do indeed deserve blame.
But I'm sure they & others can benefit from better decisions.
The trick is how to assist them in this.
Perhaps there might be a cost effective use of taxpayer $ toward this end, eh.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Income equality is a looming problem.
And I predict it will get worse as automation replaces workers.
I don't have a solution, but I think guaranteed income & single
payer health care will happen, & mitigate the problem.
Interesting times lay ahead.

As for ideology, I only advocate that whatever public policies address
the problems, they should maximize social & economic liberty.
The best ideological approach to any political problem is a pragmatic one.
Without pragmatism, you get ignored....or assassinated.
Dewey and James will be proud of you. :clapping::clapping: