• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pope Francis: Church too focused on gays and abortion

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Of course, but what you posted was: "No disrespect intended but why would you want to return to a religion where you depend on one man to make up your mind as to what is right and wrong? Especially if this definition can change from leader to leader?".

On top of that, the church has it's teachings, but it's the responsibility of each Catholic to go in the direction their informed conscience takes them, even if it goes against canon law.

Sounds good on paper, but in reality how many 'good' Catholics would ever buck the Pope? It's probably that excommunication thingy.

It seems his faith is not based on a set of church defined rules. But he is always open to the guidance of God. One can undrerstand why the "church" has always avoided Jesuits in the papacy.

The Jesuits are highly educated and at the same time most grounded of the orders, 2nd only to the Franciscans in mystic feelings, seeing God in all things.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
The Jesuits are highly educated and at the same time most grounded of the orders, 2nd only to the Franciscans in mystic feelings, seeing God in all things.

Yes indeed.
They are also the only order that is required by the church to swear allegiance to the pope of the day.
Their knowledge, intelligence, commitment and power was always feared.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I think he's made some PR blunders.

This isn't Kansas anymore Papa Francisco.

The media has done a wonderful job of painting him in a positive light, and have colored his words to lean itself to something he doesn't mean to say.

It's business as usual.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!

The media has done a wonderful job of painting him in a positive light, and have colored his words to lean itself to something he doesn't mean to say.

It's business as usual.

Isnt that the driving purpose of the media :p

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Remaining hopeful.

When I hear people commenting that "The Pope isn't Christian" and call his teachings "New Age"...
I have hope.

His 'new' is actually very 'old' teachings, focusing more on mission vs social commentators and judges.

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
Remaining hopeful.

When I hear people commenting that "The Pope isn't Christian" and call his teachings "New Age"...
I have hope.

His 'new' is actually very 'old' teachings, focusing more on mission vs social commentators and judges.

Precisely.

Its more ressourcement (back to the sources) than aggiornamento (a bringing up-to-date) although it using the sources innovatively to look towards new possibilities for the future :D

Positive developments are at work in the Pope's interfaith focus as well:

http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...-pope-francis-taking-ecumenism-new-level.html

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

It's business as usual.

I don't know about internal repercussion, but he is certainly doing wonders for the external reputation of Catholicism.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Precisely.

Its more ressourcement (back to the sources) than aggiornamento (a bringing up-to-date) although it using the sources innovatively to look towards new possibilities for the future :D

Positive developments are at work in the Pope's interfaith focus as well:

http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...-pope-francis-taking-ecumenism-new-level.html

Good link. Thanks.

Yeah, no doubt this isn't putting new wine in old skins.
This is more like dipping into the reserve from way back, And tasting it anew!

This is good 'fundamentalism', no? :D

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I don't know about internal repercussion, but he is certainly doing wonders for the external reputation of Catholicism.

That isn't a bad thing to work toward, but I suspect that would lead people toward a Catholicism they may not actually agree with. Given that our theology is beefy, it doesn't take much to say something that is true and have people believing it means something else. The Pope needs to be meticulous and perspicuous it his message. Sometimes that requires less then welcoming language by those that disagree. Not all popes are good at this.