• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Possession

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah.

I watched my husband get taken over by a spirit... It was... something else. His whole face changed. He didn't even look like himself. He put his feet up and blew smoke rings(something my husband can't do). It was a negative experience for him. (Not so negative for myself and the friend present.)

I have a friend that gets taken by one on occasion. He's a friendly one(the spirit, though my friend is friendly, too). I remember coming to get her from work one day, and wondering why she was standing so weird. Then she got into the car, greeted me with a voice that wasn't quite hers with a title only the spirit addresses me as... Ah! Well, that explains it. She views this as a positive phenomenon.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Yes, I've experienced possession, but I prefer to refer to this experience as channeling spirits, which are earthbound human spirits. I've also witnessed other mediums channeling spirits. It's a practice that I participate in voluntarily and am in control of the interaction between myself and the spirit I'm channeling.

Psalm23

Yes, I've experienced possession, but I prefer to refer to this experience as channeling spirits, which are earthbound human spirits. I've also witnessed other mediums channeling spirits. It's a practice that I participate in voluntarily and am in control of the interaction between myself and the spirit I'm channeling.
I believe I could have been possessed one time when I went into the hospital and later the psych ward for losing my mind. They told me that I tried to levitate. I don't remember that but I was having blackouts at the time and wasn't myself. I only remember bits and pieces and I said some things that I remember some but not all. Thankfully I'm back in my right mind and don't have any more blackouts

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I believe I could have been possessed one time when I went into the hospital and later the psych ward for losing my mind. They told me that I tried to levitate. I don't remember that but I was having blackouts at the time and wasn't myself. I only remember bits and pieces and I said some things that I remember some but not all. Thankfully I'm back in my right mind and don't have any more blackouts
My son is having black outs... They seem miserable.

I'm glad you don't have them anymore.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I watched my husband get taken over by a spirit... It was... something else. His whole face changed. He didn't even look like himself. He put his feet up and blew smoke rings(something my husband can't do). It was a negative experience for him. (Not so negative for myself and the friend present.)

I'm sorry to hear about your husband's experience. As a medium, I never allow a spirit to take me over like that because I establish boundaries, which are enforced by another medium whom I personally know and trust. I'm also accompanied by other friends, who are well-seasoned paranormal investigators.

I have a friend that gets taken by one on occasion. He's a friendly one(the spirit, though my friend is friendly, too). I remember coming to get her from work one day, and wondering why she was standing so weird. Then she got into the car, greeted me with a voice that wasn't quite hers with a title only the spirit addresses me as... Ah! Well, that explains it. She views this as a positive phenomenon.

I see this as a positive phenomenon, too. Some of my channeling experiences were recorded by friends who witnessed them, and I'm always amazed at how differently I sound or behave. I don't channel spirits often, though, because it takes a lot of energy and makes me very tired. It can be exhausting.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Yeah.

I would find it hard to distinguish between someone who has what psychologists call multiple personalities and actual entities using someone's body.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I'm sorry to hear about your husband's experience. As a medium, I never allow a spirit to take me over like that because I establish boundaries, which are enforced by another medium whom I personally know and trust. I'm also accompanied by other friends, who are well-seasoned paranormal investigators.
He didn't exactly set out to have that happen. Its a complicated story.
I see this as a positive phenomenon, too. Some of my channeling experiences were recorded by friends who witnessed them, and I'm always amazed at how differently I sound or behave. I don't channel spirits often, though, because it takes a lot of energy and makes me very tired. It can be exhausting.
That's what my friend says, too. She doesn't necessarily invite the spirit, but they kind of have a working relationship. He indicates he wants to 'visit', she consents.
I would find it hard to distinguish between someone who has what psychologists call multiple personalities and actual entities using someone's body.
I would, too.

Neither my husband or friend has that going on...

Like I said, the story's really complicated.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
He didn't exactly set out to have that happen. Its a complicated story.

Again, I'm sorry your husband had such a negative experience with a spirit.

My close friend and mentor taught me how to safely channel spirits. She taught me to control my mediumship rather than let it control me.

That's what my friend says, too. She doesn't necessarily invite the spirit, but they kind of have a working relationship. He indicates he wants to 'visit', she consents.

Yes, it is a working relationship, which I consent to participating in.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
@Sgt. Pepper just to clarify myself, I was speaking from my personal experience and wasn't implying you or other people who experienced possession lost their mind.

Thank you for the clarification. I appreciate it. I was wondering whether this was what you meant. The truth is, I know that I haven't lost my mind because I've undergone a psychiatric evaluation, two cranial CT scans, as well as evaluations from two therapists and three psychologists, all in an attempt to determine if there is a natural explanation for what I've been experiencing with spirits since I was a small child, but there isn't. I was born like this, but I became cognizably aware of these earthbound spirits when I had my first encounter with one at six years old. However, I have some vague memories of seeing them when I was four and five years old. They would wave at me, and I would wave back, prompting my parents or another relative to ask me who I was waving at. I could give more of these examples, but I don't want to derail your thread, so I'll post a link to one of my previous posts (with additional links), in which I shared some of my experiences as a medium. I have forty-five years worth of experience. You can read my prior posts if you're interested.

Last edited:
Have you experienced possession or known someone who experienced being possessed?
We all seem to be under the influence of malevolent abstract concepts that act like parasitic entities, latching onto our minds and societies, draining emotional and mental resources, spreading harm through manipulation and exploitation. You just have to see them for what they are and that's half the battle.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Have you experienced possession or known someone who experienced being possessed?

No, nor do I believe in possession. Rather, while I know exceedingly little about psychology and psychiatry, I presume that the following is more or less accurate:

Despite the overall decline in possession beliefs in modern times, there is some evidence that cases of purported demonic possession have been on the rise in recent years.11 While nearly half of the population might attribute this to actual possession, there are several other potential psychological explanations for believing that one is possessed. Like any medical diagnosis, determining the best explanation for individual cases—beyond the reductionist dichotomy of "real" or "delusional"—is essential for determining whether intervention is warranted and, if so, what intervention might be most helpful.​

Life can be challenging on any number of levels and coping mechanisms abound.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

I haven't experienced anything matching what is typically associated with possession, but I know people who have. Some of it is both confounding and highly unusual (and not always attributable to mental illness or medical issues either); I put some of it in the category of phenomena that are currently insufficiently understood. I don't call it "possession," but I don't rule out the possibility that unseen beings or entities that can induce such an experience exist.