• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Possession

Psalm23

Did they tell you what exactly you were trying to do? Were you talking about levitating? Trying to stand on a chair and float away, but you fall?
They weren't specific on that. I would like to find out. I remember saying things in my half aware state something like saying I was God worship me and saying I was Judas Iscariot. It was totally out of my character to say things like that. I'm hoping I can find out from the hospital or police report what all I was saying or doing.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
They weren't specific on that. I would like to find out. I remember saying things in my half aware state something like saying I was God worship me and saying I was Judas Iscariot. It was totally out of my character to say things like that. I'm hoping I can find out from the hospital or police report what all I was saying or doing.

In the "heavens" everything is connected, omnipresent, and concurrent in a way which is very difficult for the mind to process in a way which can be described as coherent. In the "heavens" the identity of Judas can, very easily, over-lay, super-impose itself, onto your own. Like a costume, or a sock-puppet. In a way, this sounds like the puppet is possessing you, but, it's not exactly possession. It's more of a blending where your own identity in your own mind is so overwhelmed and disoriented by all that is happening "in the heavens" it takes a little nap. That's the black-out.

The thing is... the heavens? They're not some distant place. It's a sort of alternate existence, consciousness, which is super-imposed on this material world. You don't need to go anywhere to go to the "heavens". Seeing the "heavens" requires putting on the right set of spectacles, so to speak. Some prefer to use the analogy of taking off the spectacles and replacing them with a better prescription with better lenses.

Now.

This same thing can happen even if the individual is not perceiving the heavens. The mind can still go into the same black-out state and have a sort of random seizure where neuro-chemicals are flooding into the brain either encouraging the synapses or restricting them in a way which is not "normal".

The question is: what was happening prior to these episodes? The answers to these questions should probably remain private. You're welcome to message me. Or perhaps speak with someone you trust. If it were me, and I was counseling a friend or family member, I would be looking for trauma. Trauma is like shaking a baby in the mind. That rapid cognitive pendulum, teeter-tottering, can absolutely send the mind into the black-out state. Dizziness. Dis-orientation. Short-term memory loss. Losing track of time.

Trauma gets repressed. When the mind starts to digest the trauma, the pendulum starts swinging:
This can't be happening <<<>>> This is happening​
Black-out.
But it doesn't need to be trauma related. It could be religious, depending on how seriously a person takes it. It could be any number of inner-conflicts which produce this sort of rapid "shaking" of the mind. And. Because the mind operates very rapidly, the cycling of the pendulum, the teeter-tottering, may not be noticed as anything other than discomfort. Heart pounding. Gripping the fingers. Or clenching the teeth. Ears getting hot. Stuff like that. But, if the individual is able to slow down their thoughts and watch them. It's a pendulum. The mind is being shaken, like an innocent little baby. Before too long, the mind, gives up. Black out.

That's what it sounds like to me. Not possession. You, like Jesus, were not of this world during those black-outs. And the others in the "heavens" superimposed on your identity just as they would for any in that realm. But, you weren't perhaps prepared for what you were going to experience. So, you blacked-out.

The desire to levitate, to me, is your mind trying to make sense of what it was experiencing, but it didn't have the words for it. The best it could do was describe it as an ascension. But, it's not literally ascension. You're not going anywhere. The "heavens" are not a distant place.

Hope this helps,

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes and no - "possession" isn't really a term I use in my tradition so it depends on what is meant by it. Communing with and channeling or invoking non-human beings is a fairly regular pat of my religious practice. Typically "possession" has the connotation of being involuntary and/or a near absolute takover, though, which more or less isn't a thing that happens to me. I don't allow it.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
A tulpa? We have an analogue in Judaism as well. Ibbur. The negative is a dibuk.

Did your friend intentionally invoke their ... spirit?

I'm not quite sure who he(the spirit) is. He was not intentionally invoked.

He seems to 'appear' for tasks related to the reason he first rolled in, and occasionally occupation related teaching.

rocala

I have not thankfully but I may have had an encounter. I was staying in a big old house while involved in a week of voluntary work. I had been there before and had nothing but good memories.

One night I awoke suddenly and in considerable fear. The only way I can describe it was a feeling that someone or something was trying to get into my head. I was actually fighting it with my thoughts, a constant and determined "no, get out". In the end I got up put the light on and was walking around my room.

When I did go back to bed, it was with a good book, and I kept the lights on all night. Nothing like it has ever happened before or since.
One thing that strikes me as strange is that, as I have said, this event was unique but looking back I get a strong feeling that some part of me, an instinct perhaps, recognized the threat and went into an appropriate defence mode.

Some years later I was chatting with a friend who has also stayed there, he told me that several people have in fact reported strange occurrences there.