• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Postmodernism (written or audio)

Human Rights Cases Concerning Maroons

It is not surprising that international human rights law and bodies have dealt with indigenous peoples' rights to a greater extent than Maroon rights, given the strength and proactive nature of the international indigenous movement. Throughout the past 30 years, indigenous peoples have actively engaged their states, the UN, the OAS, the World Bank, and others to account for their rights and have sought enforcement of their rights through international mechanisms such as the HRC and IACHR. By comparison, and with few exceptions, Maroons have only recently begun to assert their rights at the domestic level and have not sought redress at the international level. While the IACHR has addressed Maroon rights in its country reports on Colombia (1999), Ecuador (1997), and Suriname (1983, 1985), it is only Suriname Maroons who have sought enforcement of their rights in the IACHR. Even then, only one case, filed in October 2000, deals directly with rights to ancestral lands and resources, treaty rights, rights to cultural integrity, and rights to participate in decisions affecting Maroon communities.

The best known case is Aloeboetoe et. al, decided by the Inter-American Court of Human Rights in 1993, in which Suriname was held responsible for the extra-judicial killing of seven Saramaka Maroons during the civil war of 1986-1992. (Padilla, 1995; Price, 1995) In determining reparations, the Court explicitly took account of Maroon customs and laws (e.g., polygyny) to set the amount of compensation due the victims' dependants. It refused, however, to require compensation for violations of Maroon territorial and treaty rights, effectively declaring that the Saramaka treaty of 1762 was null and void. A second case dealt with the massacre of more than 50 Ndyuka women, children, and elderly persons by the Surinamese army at the village of Moiwana in 1986. This case was declared admissible by the IACHR in March 2000; a decision is presently pending on the merits and possible adjudication pursuant to the binding jurisdiction of the Inter-American Court.(11)

A third, most recent, case was filed by 12 Saramaka leaders (captains) on behalf of their respective matrilineal clans and the Association of Saramaka Authorities, a body representing the majority of Upper Suriname River Saramaka captains.(12) The petition alleges that Suriname has been violating the rights of Saramakas -- matrilineal clans, individuals, and the Saramaka people as a whole -- to property, to participate in decisions affecting them, to cultural integrity, to judicial protection, and to other rights guaranteed under international instruments ratified by Suriname such as the right to self-determination. The case was filed with the IACHR directly due to the absence of effective remedies in Surinamese law pertaining to Maroon land and other rights; it is based on Suriname's failure to recognize Saramaka territorial and treaty rights and its active violation of those rights by grants of logging and mining concessions in Saramaka territory. The petitioners seek IACHR support to establish procedures in domestic law that will recognize Maroon territorial rights and provide for the demarcation of their communal lands, for an immediate suspension of all logging and mining activities in their territory, and for reparations for past violations. As with the Moiwana case, Suriname has thus far failed to respond in any way to the IACHR's requests for information about the allegations made in the petition.

The basis for asserting and protecting Maroon rights is firmly entrenched in international human rights law. But as with indigenous peoples, much work is required to ensure that states implement and respect those rights at the domestic level. While Colombia, Ecuador, and Brazil have made significant progress (on paper, at least), Suriname, French Guiana, and Jamaica trail behind. And the situation on the ground in Colombia, Ecuador, and Brazil demonstrates that legal guarantees are not enough to ensure cultural integrity and survival. Guarantees must be backed up with effective and proactive enforcement measures. In this respect, it is crucially important that Maroons themselves assert and defend their rights and interests.

In Suriname, where legal guarantees are entirely absent, the situation is most dire. There, Maroons are experiencing an onslaught of mining and logging operations that is substantially undermining their ability to sustain themselves and causing massive environmental degradation and severe social and health problems. Matawai Maroons, for instance, have recently been forced to import water due to river pollution caused by mining. Conservation activities, however laudable in principle, are also cause for concern, as they have expropriated Maroon lands and curtailed Maroon subsistence rights. Whether the latest case filed by the Saramaka with the IACHR will change this situation remains to be seen. Needless to say, other Maroon peoples are looking on with great interest.

References & further reading

Bilby, K. (1997). Swearing by the Past, Swearing to the Future: Sacred Oaths, Alliances, and Treaties among the Guianese and Jamaican Maroons. Ethnohistory 44, pp 655-689.

Kambel, E.-R. & MacKay, F. (1999). The Rights of Indigenous People and Maroons in Suriname. Copenhagen: International Work Group for Indigenous Affairs; Moreton-in-Marsh, England: The Forest Peoples Programme.

Padilla, D.J. (1995). Reparations in Aloeboetoe v. Suriname. Human Rights Quarterly 17, pp 541-555.

Price, R. (1995). Executing Ethnicity: The Killings in Suriname. Cultural Anthropology 10, pp 437-471.

(1). See for instance, Article 31 of the Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties, which restates the general principle of pact sunt servanda, Articles 1 and 2 of the American Convention on Human Rights, and Article 2(1) of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.

(2). See Article 1 of International Labor Organization Convention No. 169 Concerning Indigenous and Tribal Peoples in Independent Countries (1989) and Article 1 of the Draft American Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples. According to World Bank Operational Directive 4.20 (and the new draft OP.410 [see also page 68, this issue]) on Indigenous Peoples, Maroons would be classified as indigenous for the purposes of applying World Bank safeguard standards.

(3). Concluding observations of the Human Rights Committee: Australia. 28/07/2000. CCPR/CO/69/AUS. (Concluding Observations/Comments), at paras. 10 and 11.

(4). See, among others, Report on the Situation of Human Rights of a Segment of the Nicaraguan Population of Miskito Origin, OEA/Ser.L/V/II.62, doc.26. (1984), at 76-78, 81; Report on the Situation of Human Rights in Ecuador, OEA/Ser.L/V/II.96 doc.10, rev.1 (1997), at 103-4; Case 7615 (Brazil), OEA/Ser.L/V/II.66, doc 10 rev 1 (1985), at 24, 31; and Third Report on the Situation of Human Rights in The Republic of Guatemala, OEA/Ser.1/V/II. 67, doc. 9 (1986), at 114.

(5). Third Report on the Situation of Human Rights in The Republic of Guatemala, ibid.

(6). Case 11.577 (Awas Tingni Indigenous Community -- Nicaragua), Annual report of the IACHR. OEA/Ser.L/V/II.102, Doc.6 rev., (Vol. II), April 16, 1999, p. 1067, at para. 108. This case was recently adjudicated by the Inter-American Court of Human Rights, which has binding jurisdiction.

(7). Ibid. See also Art. XVIII, Proposed American Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, approved by the IACHR in 1997.

(8). Report on the Situation of Human Rights in Ecuador, OEA/Ser.L/V/II.96 doc. 10, rev. 1 (1997), at 115.

(9). Second Report on the Situation of Human Rights in Peru, OEA/Ser.L/V/II.106, Doc 59 rev., June 2, 2000, at Ch. X, para. 16.

(10). In Colombia, for instance, see Transitional Article 55, Colombia Const. 1991; Law No. 70 of 1993; and Decree 1745 of 1995.

(11). Case 11.281 (Village of Moiwana), Suriname. Report 26/00 on Admissibility.

(12). Case 12.338 (Twelve Saramaka Communties), Suriname.

Article copyright Cultural Survival, Inc.

How are you defining religion? I'm not trying to play any gotcha games. Would you consider Taoism to be a religion? I don't.

It's not a part of mine :) (but again, I await your definition)

It's not how I define it that matters. It's how they define it.

I'm just a western atheist. I have no right to define the identities of other peoples for them.

I never could understand the word "postmodern." "Modern" refers to the present, so "post modern" would literally be "after the present." That would be the "future" for most people.

Maybe I'm some kind of barbarian or philistine for thinking this, but it seems "postmodernism" means making up words that have no meaning for no reason.

I usually see "la modernidad" used as technical term representing an extended period of history that began in the 1930s, with the construction of a portion of the Pan American Highway.

51956613334_f00c97a386_o.jpg

Last edited:

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
It's not how I define it that matters. It's how they define it.

I'm just a western atheist. I have no right to define the identities of other peoples for them.
Wait what?

Are you arguing a position or not? It sure seems like you're arguing a position?

Wait what?

Are you arguing a position or not? It sure seems like you're arguing a position?

You're asking me to define the identities of other peoples according to my own western culture.

My position is that I don't have that right any more than you do.

Did you read the article?

Other cultures have religious rights, both individual and collective, under International Law.

Do you believe in International Law?

Last edited:

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
You're asking me to define the identities of other peoples according to my own western culture.

My position is that I don't have that right any more than you do.

Did you read the article?

Other cultures have religious rights, both individual and collective, under International Law.

Do you believe in International Law?
But you have made some claims here. Are these claims you are making and will defend, or are you just reporting on other people's claims?

As for international law, I'd need specifics. I suspect that there are aspects I agree with and aspects I do not.

I never could understand the word "postmodern." "Modern" refers to the present, so "post modern" would literally be "after the present." That would be the "future" for most people.

Maybe I'm some kind of barbarian or philistine for thinking this, but it seems "postmodernism" means making up words that have no meaning for no reason.

It is post-modernism, not postmodern-ism.

Modernism is (roughly) the idea that humans can control and shape their destiny through scientific and technological mastery and control of their environment. A view of history shaped by a broad idea of progress based on a better ability to understand and adapt to objective reality.

Postmodernism is (roughly) the idea that modernism is simply another myth based on a culturally specific ideology that we mistake for being universal and true. It thus sees itself as needing to “deconstruct” the hidden myths, ideological assumptions, power relationships that shape our subjective and culturally contingent perspectives on “reality”.

Heyo

Veteran Member
It is post-modernism, not postmodern-ism.

Modernism is (roughly) the idea that humans can control and shape their destiny through scientific and technological mastery and control of their environment. A view of history shaped by a broad idea of progress based on a better ability to understand and adapt to objective reality.

Postmodernism is (roughly) the idea that modernism is simply another myth based on a culturally specific ideology that we mistake for being universal and true. It thus sees itself as needing to “deconstruct” the hidden myths, ideological assumptions, power relationships that shape our subjective and culturally contingent perspectives on “reality”.
Exactly. Postmodernism is the antithesis of modernism, it forms a dichotomy like realism to idealism, optimism to pessimism or monism to dualism. Born from a valid critique of the more naïve beliefs of modernism, it went all the way to the other side.
From the measurement problem in quantum mechanics, postmodernism concludes that we can't know anything about reality and from Gödel's incompleteness theorems it concludes that logic is useless. It's not just throwing out the baby with the bath water, but throwing away the bath tub.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
I like the example of the chair.

The chair is an object that I’ve seen used in sculpture on multiple occasions.

Here’s an artist who uses the chair in several of her works.

(I tend to view her work thru the lenz of magical realism, rather than postmodernism, though, given the culture it originates from, but whatever.)

“Art does not give answers. Art only asks questions.”

Doris Salcedo's Public Works​

Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago

The Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago presents the first retrospective of the work of renowned sculptor Doris Salcedo (Colombian, b. 1958). In conjunction with the exhibition, the MCA produced a short film documenting Salcedo’s site-specific and ephemeral installations—works that either no longer exist or are otherwise impossible to display in the galleries of the museum—in order to establish their importance and contribution to her larger body of works.

Salcedo grounds her art in rigorous fieldwork, which involves extensive interviews with people who have experienced loss and trauma in their everyday lives due to political violence. Rather than making literal representations of violence or trauma, however, Salcedo’s artworks convey a sense of an absent, missing body and evoke a collective sense of loss. The resulting pieces engage with multiple dualities at once—strength and fragility, the ephemeral and the enduring—and bear elements of healing and reparation in the careful, laborious process of their making.

Doris Salcedo is cocurated by Pritzker Director Madeleine Grynsztejn and Curator Julie Rodrigues Widholm, with assistance from Curatorial Assistant Steven L. Bridges, and will be on view at the MCA from February 21–May 24, 2015. The exhibition travels to the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York, June 26–October 14, 2015, and the Perez Art Museum Miami, May 6–October 23, 2016.

This documentary was made possible by generous support from the Stefan Edlis and Gael Neeson Foundation as part of the exhibition Doris Salcedo, organized by the Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago.

Lead support for Doris Salcedo is provided by the Harris Family Foundation in memory of Bette and Neison Harris: Caryn and King Harris, Katherine Harris, Toni and Ron Paul, Pam and Joe Szokol, Linda and Bill Friend, and Stephanie and John Harris. Additional lead support is provided by Stefan Edlis and Gael Neeson, The Bluhm Family Foundation, Anne Kaplan, Howard and Donna Stone, The Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts, and Helen and Sam Zell.

Major support is provided by The Chicago Community Trust; Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Colombia, Ministry of Culture of Colombia, and Embassy of Colombia in Washington DC; Barbara Bluhm-Kaul and Don Kaul; Paula and Jim Crown; Nancy and Steve Crown; Walter and Karla Goldschmidt Foundation; Liz and Eric Lefkofsky; Susana and Ricardo Steinbruch; and Kristin and Stanley Stevens.

Additional generous support is provided by the National Endowment for the Arts, Christie’s, Marilyn and Larry Fields, the Diane and Bruce Halle Foundation, Agnes Gund, the Kovler Family Foundation, Nancy and David Frej, Mary E. Ittelson, Lilly Scarpetta, Jennifer Aubrey, the Dedalus Foundation, Jacques and Natasha Gelman Trust, Ashlee and Martin Modahl, Lois and Steve Eisen and the Eisen Family Foundation, the North Shore Affiliate of the MCA, Carla Emil and Rich Silverstein, Jeanne and Michael Klein, Lisa and John Miller, Elizabeth Firestone Graham Foundation, the Graham Foundation for Advanced Studies in the Fine Arts, Emily Rauh Pulitzer, Maria C. Bechily and Scott Hodes, the Barbara Lee Family Foundation, Jill Garling and Tom Wilson, Solita Mishaan, and Sara Szold.

The artist’s galleries have also provided support to present the exhibition and catalogue: White Cube and Alexander and Bonin, New York.

Added to my list to check out! Thank you!

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Although an argument can be made that perception is divorced from reality, it ultimately is no different from it. This is because if it were, a photon could not travel towards one's eye enabling one to perceive. This logically demonstrates that reality is perception. I've argued this before in another forum.

Reality enters the mind is a tautological truth.

This can be extended to make a case that the universe is ultimately an omnipresent mind but we are limited by our five senses.

What are your thoughts?
I more wanted to acknowledge this cause its a great question, but I sadly don't have an immediate answer. I do feel perception and reality are much more closely tied than we like to believe.
The OP seems to do a pretty good job, mostly thumbs up from me. (Although careful readers might find things I missed.)

But the above seems incorrect to me. While it's true that religion applies to many aspects of life, it by no means has to apply to ALL aspects. For example, in legal matters I think it's appropriate to rely on a-religious morals and ethics.

And I also take exception whenever anyone links religion with spirituality. To me spirituality is completely independent of religion, and it is the religious who attempt to co-op spirituality and claim it as their own :(
Ah but the law has its own religious rituals and values and such too. For instance not lying under oath even for a greater good, or oaths in the first place. As a grad student of religious studies I would probably say "I couldn't define religion, but could recognize it when I see it." Sports is likewise very religious, blew my mind when I paid attention for it this past superbowl.