• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Presuppositionalism

Looncall

fantôme profane;2800363 said:
But that is what science is! Science is based on the working assumptions of naturalism and uniformitarianism. These assumptions are key to all scientific endeavors, not just the theory of evolution. When an astronomer makes observations of a distant star and concludes that there are planets in orbit around that star that astronomer is making the assumption that the same laws of physics that apply in the observatory today also apply thousands of light-years away and thousands of years ago. That astronomer also makes the assumption that the observations are not the result of magical trickster deities. This is the way science works.

If you are not employing the working hypothesis of naturalism you are not doing science. You can’t tell me that you have no problem with science but you have a problem with the assumptions of naturalism and uniformitarianism. All scientific conclusions are based on the assumption of naturalism, and virtually all are based on the assumption of uniformitarianism.

If you choose to reject science because of the assumption of naturalism, fine. Just be honest about it.

Is an intial assumption that turns out to work still an assumption? All our observations support naturalism and uniformitarianism and none refute them. I think it is dishonest to refer to them as assumptions. Just another lieing ploy by the religious.

Agnostic75

Message to Man of Faith:

Many Christian experts who do not believe that a global flood occurred, and accept theistic evolution, and believe that the earth is old, originally presupposed that a global flood occurred, that creationism is true, and that the earth is young. After conducting a lot of scientific research, they changed their minds. How can you use a presupposition argument against those Christians since they originally presupposed your way?

Why don't the take the time to find out why many Christian experts gave up YEC? In an article at Glenn Morton's story, Glenn Morton, who is a Christian, a geophysicist, and a former YEC, tells why he gave up being a YEC.

When Charles Darwin wrote "On the Origin of Species," he was a theist, not an atheist. Obviously, when he wrote the book, he presupposed that God exists, and created life on earth.

Last edited:

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Is an intial assumption that turns out to work still an assumption? All our observations support naturalism and uniformitarianism and none refute them. I think it is dishonest to refer to them as assumptions. Just another lieing ploy by the religious.
I take your point, but I still have to say that yes it is an assumption. It is an incredibly reasonable and practical assumption. It is an assumption that every sane individual makes in 90% of their day to day lives. We demand that people make this assumption, not only scientists, but also mechanics, plumbers, electricians, manufactures etc. If you take your car to a mechanic and he recommends a magical spell that will dispel the gremlins from your engine, you take your car to a different mechanic.

I don’t think it is dishonest to call them assumptions, but it is dishonest to imply that they are invalid assumptions, and it is incredibly dishonest to deny that everybody makes exactly these same assumptions.

Agnostic75

Man of Faith said:
I have no problem with the OP. I admit that I do use the presuppositions that the Bible is the history of man and catastrophism. I have a problem with evolutionists that don’t admit it, or don’t know that Darwinism is built on presuppositions. The main two being naturalism and uniformitarianism.

When Charles Darwin wrote 'On the Origin of Species,' he was a theist, not a naturalist.

Many Christian experts who do not believe that a global flood occurred, and accept theistic evolution, and believe that the earth is old, originally presupposed that a global flood occurred, that creationism is true, and that the earth is young. After conducting a lot of scientific research, they changed their minds. How can you use a presupposition argument against those Christians since they originally presupposed your way?

Why don't the take the time to find out why many Christian experts gave up YEC? In an article at Glenn Morton's story, Glenn Morton, who is a Christian, a geophysicist, and a former YEC, tells why he gave up being a YEC.

Do you object when inerrantist science experts presuppose their conclusions before they get degrees in science? Do you believe that it is acceptable for people who know very little about science to become inerrantists? A simple "yes" or "no" will do for a start.

Last edited:

Agnostic75

Man of Faith said:
I have no problem with the OP. I admit that I do use the presuppositions that the Bible is the history of man and catastrophism. I have a problem with evolutionists that don’t admit it, or don’t know that Darwinism is built on presuppositions. The main two being naturalism and uniformitarianism.

When Charles Darwin wrote 'On the Origin of Species,' he was a theist, not a naturalist.

Last edited:

Agnostic75

Message to Man of Faith: I will number my arguments for easy reference.

Argument #1

Do you object when inerrantist science experts presuppose their conclusions before they get degrees in science? If so, what is your solution? If not, then why is presuppositionalism a problem?

Argument #2

Do you believe that it is acceptable for people who know very little about science to become inerrantists? If so, then you are not actually concerned very much about science. I doubt that you would answer "no."

Argument #3

Many Christian physicists originally presupposed that the earth is young, and after conducting a lot of scientific research, changed their minds and became old earth creationists. Obviously, your presuppositionalism argument doesn't work regarding those Christians since they originally presupposed your way.

Argument #4

In an article at Glenn Morton's story, Glenn Morton, who is a Christian, a geophysicist, and a former YEC, tells why he gave up being a YEC. Please read all of the article, and state what you think of it.

Argument #5

In your opinion, can professing Christians who reject the global flood theory go to heaven?

Argument #6

A hundred years ago, most Americans presupposed that homosexuality is wrong. Today, a large percentage of Americans approve of homosexuality for people who want to live that kind of life. In your opinion, a hundred years ago, was it wrong for most Americans to presuppose that homosexuality is wrong?

Argument #7

Consider the following:

Wikipedia said:
Christians up until the 19th century, held dominant scientific beliefs that were founded on the biblical narratives of Creation and the universal deluge.

So until the 19th century, as far as the majority of Christians were concerned, the presuppositionalism deck was stacked your way.

Last edited:

gnostic

The Lost One
man of faith said:
I'll let the scientists debate about the details.

You says "scientists", but you don't really mean it, especially when it clash with your belief.

man of faith said:
It shouldn't come as a surprise that creation scientists support irreducible complexity and evolution scientists don’t.

Creationism, like Biblical Creationism, has nothing to do with science.

There is no such thing as "creation scientist" or "creation science". Using either one together ("creation" & "science", or "creation" & "scientist"), is actually misnomer. Creationism (or creation science) is nothing more than pseudoscience.

Likewise, Intelligent Design is also pseduoscience, because it too doesn't use scientific method to process theories and evidences.

Pseudoscience because it (creationists & ID advocates) doesn't use scientific method, have no scientific evidences to support its creation myth. Creationists & ID also ignored the falsifiability of their presuppositions and prepositions.

Scientists (not just evolution scientists, but also biologists, microbiologists, biochemists, all of which belonged to real science disciplines) have already debunked ID's Irreducible Complexity. Irreducible Complexity doesn't meet with requirements of scientific method, and Irreducible Complexity is not falsifiable, hence it can't be scientific. Irreducible Complexity couldn't even pass the peer review, let alone pee in the cup... :foot:

Irreducible Complexity is a refuted hypothesis, not a scientific theory.

So to sum it all up:

1. Testable and verifiable evidences is of utmost important in science. It is also important that such evidence can be re-tested. Evolution have enormous amount of testable and verifiable evidences; ID and Creationism don't have any.
  2. Scientific Method is important procedure or methodology in science. Evolution used scientific method and passed all requirements; ID and Creationism haven't met with any of the requirements of Scientific Method, hence failed to be scientific.
  3. Any hypothesis or theory must be "refutable", hence Falsifiability, therefore it is important in science. Evolution is "falsifiable", therefore it is scientific; both creation and ID are not falsifiable, therefore they are not scientific.
  4. Evolution is part of biological discipline, therefore can be taught in science (biology) subjects. Both ID & Creation Science are not biological disciplines, so they shouldn't be taught in science classrooms.
  5. Any academic papers, particularly those of scientific nature, should be able to evaluate the paper/hypothesis/theory by its peers. Evolution has passed peer review; neither ID nor Creation has passed the review.

Last edited:

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
I agree with the OP completely. One thing I find interesting is that one of the greatest Christian thinkers, St. Augustine of Hippo, said basically that when science reveals something to be true, and it is contrary to what Christians believe the Bible teaches, that it is the Christians who should change their interpretation of the Bible, so they don't come across as ignorant fools. And like it's stated in the OP, most Christians do not accept literal scientific understandings of the Bible, especially stories in the OT, like creationism, the global flood, etc. It's just that the small amount who do, are much more vocal about it. They don't even realize that most of their religious brothers and sisters reject such things. When one presupposes that their view is right, simply because they think it is, it shows them to be foolish, ignorant, and dishonest. Those unwilling to change their views even in clear light of truth are not really worthy of the time and energy to debate. Arguing for the sake of arguing is pointless. If you can't learn, then don't waste the time. It's said that the wise are open to chastisement, while the foolish are not. And, if I'm not mistaken, that is from the Bible. That's my two cents.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
No, no, no. The "presuppositions" (as you call them) were hypotheses that stood the test of time, the test of data and the test of peer review and that are now at the rank of (at least) theory or law.
There is evidence of a global flood. It's at your fingertips if you want to look. Sometimes I wonder if peoples Google works. Over 350 cultures around the world have a great flood story and 80% of the stories have commonalities.
That is evidence that over 350 cultures were exposed to floods at one time or another. That is to be expected since it is far easier to live in a flood plain than on a dry savanna or desert.
I'll let the scientists debate about the details. It shouldn't come as a surprise that creation scientists support irreducible complexity and evolution scientists don’t.
There are no Creation Scientists, the very term is an oxymoron.
It also shouldn’t come as a surprise that the religious support what the leaders say. The Catholic’s official position is “to just trust science” and that their faith is compatible with religion, when in fact the Bible is grossly incompatible with it. However I notice that a large majority of Catholics do support evolution because of the church’s official position.
Miller has the same presuppositions in that article that all evolutionists do, that evolution happened now let’s figure out how. You should ask Behe to discuss the article, not me.
Behe has repeatedly failed to make his case.
Or it was passed down through oral tradition from the original tribes that were created after the global flood.
Without any presupposition, the genetic data (amongst many other forms of data) does not support the division of Noah's family into "the original tribes."

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Do you want to trade links? If I post a link about how geology shows a global flood, more than likely you will post a link in refute to it. That’s fine but that gets boring after a while. How one views the evidence is based on presuppositions. Like I said before Google can give you plenty of links to flood geology. You should be able to debate yourself on it. Post a link on flood geology from creationists, then refute it with another link from evolutionist. I’ll watch the debate in fascination. :clap
Thats all been done for you, with all your arguments neatly numbered and refuted:

(if this list bores you, please skip to Page 7)

CA: Philosophy and Theology

Last edited:

Sapiens

Polymathematician
CB: Biology

Sapiens

Polymathematician

Sapiens

Polymathematician

Sapiens

Polymathematician
CC: Paleontology