• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

private prisons

I am appalled by the private prison industry. I the private prisons should be shut down! What can we do to bring the private prison industry down?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I am appalled by the private prison industry. I the private prisons should be shut down! What can we do to bring the private prison industry down?

I fully agree as it pretty much puts the fox as being guardian of the chicken coup because of vested interests.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Why? It's not as though government run prisons have been exemplary. They've been
rife with corruption, assault (by both prisoners & staff) & incompetence. (A friend
worked at a local federal prison in Milan, & tells me stories.) If a privately run prison
can meet standards at a lower cost, then this would be useful. Where private prisons
have problems, they'd have the same sources as government operations, eg, lack of
proper oversight, lack of funding.

Caution (just in case): Orange Is The New Black is just a fictional TV show. But if TV
is to be trusted in demonizing privately run jails, then consider the government run
ones in Sons Of Anarchy.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think we criminalize too many behaviors. I only think a person should go to prison if the hurt or kill someone. There should be separate prisons for people who commit violent and white collar crimes.
There already is separation....how effective & consistent it is, I don't know. But a
fundamental problem with our justice system, ie, prison is an over-used, costly, &
dysfunctional approach. And don't get me going about the war on drugs.

outhouse

Atheistically

Crime is rampant, we are to lenient on criminal.

harsher punishment is needed to stop crime, or even reduce it.

Now what is your real gripe here with private prisons? where is there a mistake?

Do you think we should bring back chain gangs, and make prisoners earn their keep?

Or do you think we should give them 3 hot's and a cot, and provide recreation for them, and maybe a maid and butler while were at it :facepalm:

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
A couple of problems with the implementation:

1 - Governments guarantee "bed-filling" quotas - so in effect we're subsidizing them.
2 - Oversight is lacking (and necessary)
3 - These prisons are "for profit" and inhumane conditions are better for profits than humane ones.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
A couple of problems with the implementation:

1 - Governments guarantee "bed-filling" quotas - so in effect we're subsidizing them.
2 - Oversight is lacking (and necessary)
3 - These prisons are "for profit" and inhumane conditions are better for profits than humane ones.
1) If government believes it's over-paying (cuz of "bed quotas") then government is managing the costs of the contracts poorly. Let's say we returned to only gov run prisons...then they'd still have the poor cost management.
2) Sounds like all prisons, both gov & private, need better oversight.
3) Again, poor management & oversight by government are the problem here. Unprivatizing them won't cure this.

There's no fundamental reason that privatization should be poorly implemented.
And compared to gov run institutions, is it really worse?

icehorse

Premium Member
What's happening is that law enforcement is fulfilling the bed quotas with a lot of dubious incarceration.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What's happening is that law enforcement is fulfilling the bed quotas with a lot of dubious incarceration.
I lay that blame on ordinary public policy resulting from "get tough on crime" pandering.
It's a simpler explanation than the prison industry manipulating judges, cops, prosecutors
& politicians all into a conspiracy to fill prisons.

icehorse

Premium Member
There's truth to that, but I don't think "ordinary public policy" is without its own forms of corruption.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There's truth to that, but I don't think "ordinary public policy" is without its own forms of corruption.
Aye, so it becomes about designing a prison system which works best under the circumstances.
With privatization, there's a possibility that oversight would be better, cuz otherwise it's a
self-regulated government operation. Consider how cops behave when they police their own.
The "blue wall" is really about protecting their own.

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
What are "private prisons"? I don't think we've got any here in England.
I served 3 months on a vigilante rap in Leicester Prison in 2002 but it wasn't private.

"The raven himself is hoarse that croaks the fatal entrance of Duncan beneath my battlements"- Lady Macbeth
jailhouse.jpg

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator

Thanks, it seems some of our Brit private prisons are still being evaluated and probably only house "low-risk" prisoners like kids, softies and Cliff Richard fans.
We hard men go to real prisons like Leicester!
Whenever I watch films like 'Shawshank Redemption', 'Escape from Alcatraz', and TV shows like 'Worlds Deadliest Prison Gangs', I sit with a smug grin on my face bigger than a wave on a slop bucket thinking "bin there, dun that"..:)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Thanks, it seems some of our Brit private prisons are still being evaluated and probably only house "low-risk" prisoners like kids, softies and Barry Manilow fans.
We hard men go to real prisons like Leicester!
Whenever I watch films like 'Shawshank Redemption', 'Escape from Alcatraz', and TV shows like 'Worlds Deadliest Prison Gangs', I sit with a smug grin on my face bigger than a wave on a slop bucket thinking "bin there, dun that"..:)
You belong in this thread....
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/games-pics-jokes-stories/167409-nominate-rfs-enforcers.html

Alt Thinker

Older than the hills
Why? It's not as though government run prisons have been exemplary. They've been
rife with corruption, assault (by both prisoners & staff) & incompetence. (A friend
worked at a local federal prison in Milan, & tells me stories.)

I knew a man who was a corrections officer on Rikers Island, New York City's jail. He said it was a hell for both inmates and guards. (Read this)This is not even a prison but a jail. Many of the inmates have not even been convicted of anything yet. They simply have not made bail and are awaiting trial, which can take many months. It is not uncommon even when a person is later convicted to have already been in jail for longer than the sentence they would receive. The other inmates are those who are serving a sentence of less than one year.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
What some don't seem to stop and think about is the fact that if a private company invests money, they expect a return back. Meaning: something has to be cut in order to achieve that. Also, since these firms make money on housing inmates, they're not exactly going to be inclined to want to parole them.

And then there's the lobbying issue whereas there's going to be the strong temptation-- oh, let me say probability-- that they'll lobby to have longer sentences, less paroles, and more automatic minimum sentencing.

We have a for-profit health-care system, and we see how expensive that is even without having universal coverage, and now we're to privatize our prison systems?