• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pro-life Debate (pro-lifers only)

mr.guy

crapsack
At the Victor's suggestion, i thought i'd start a thread where pro-lifers could debate amongst themselves the merits of their personal ethics, arguments for, and diversity of general viewpoint of what the pro-live movement entails.

Ground rule:

For the sake of this thread, i'll insist that a pro-lifer be defined by no more or less then their objection to the legal status of abortion upon demand. If you are permissive or tolerant of the status quo, you do not meet the requirements for entering this debate.

While all can contribute, i must insist that no-one falling short of the above requirement challenge, rebut or generally hassle the participants for whom this thread is reserved for.

OP -> What is the variance among pro-lifers?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
mr.guy said:
At the Victor's suggestion, i thought i'd start a thread where pro-lifers could debate amongst themselves the merits of their personal ethics, arguments for, and diversity of general viewpoint of what the pro-live movement entails.

Ground rule:

For the sake of this thread, i'll insist that a pro-lifer be defined by no more or less then their objection to the legal status of abortion upon demand. If you are permissive or tolerant of the status quo, you do not meet the requirements for entering this debate.

While all can contribute, i must insist that no-one falling short of the above requirement challenge, rebut or generally hassle the participants for whom this thread is reserved for.

OP -> What is the variance among pro-lifers?

I am a pro-lifer in that I belive that as soon as conception occurs, there is a life. That means that I have nothing against contraception, but that abortions should only be carried out when there is a grave risk for either mother or baby.

That also means that I believe the "Morning after pill" is ethically or morally wrong.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I believe that life is precious and begins at conception.

I am PRO contraception and/or abstinence when a pregnancy is not wanted.

I feel that the only abortion that should be carried out are those that jeopardize the life of the mother and ONLY if delivery of the baby is impossible due to gestational age and when I say "jeopardize"...I mean...in situations where if the baby isn't removed...the mother will absolutely perish.

I am very much supportive of the morning after pill, as it does not terminate pregnancy...it is effective in PREVENTING pregnancy.

Aqualung

Tasty
I disagree with Michel. A pro-lifer is not simply someone who believes life begins at conception. Somebody can be pro-choice and very much believe they are killing a human beingk, or something that is already alive. A pro-lifer is someone who believes that the life of an un-born baby takes precedence over the choice of the mother who is carrying that baby.

Ðanisty

Aqualung said:
I disagree with Michel. A pro-lifer is not simply someone who believes life begins at conception. Somebody can be pro-choice and very much believe they are killing a human beingk, or something that is already alive. A pro-lifer is someone who believes that the life of an un-born baby takes precedence over the choice of the mother who is carrying that baby.
Actually, I have to agree with you here. I'm pro-choice and I do believe that life starts at conception. I just don't care.

joeboonda

I am against abortion on demand, I too, believe life is precious, begins at conception, and should not be used simply as a form of birth control. However, I believe that there may be a few circumstances which would warrant it, like if it may cause the death of the mother, or perhaps, and not necessarily, in the case of rape, grave deformity, etc. I don't know the whole list of bad things that can happen during pregnancy, but a woman and her husband should have some rights concerning abortion. Just, not because, oh, i got knocked up! Some laws have been written that give no provision for special cases, and that is not good, there are certain circumstances where it may be warranted. I am no expert on all that, I do believe we are witnessing an abortion holocaust, we are killing innocent babies, where they should be the safest, in the womb. It is scary to wonder what God feels as He sees it going on. I know He loves us, and has great mercy and grace, and forgives us for our sins, even abortion, He is so loving, He is the God of 2nd and 3rd, and 100th, chances. Knowing He loves us, and the babies, we should strive to help people find better ways of dealing with unwanted pregnancy so they don't have to suffer through the guilt and agony of the whole thing. And show them the love of God, and his everlasting lovingkindness and forgiveness and mercy to us if we have made such a mistake. And knowing his love for the babies, and the mothers, we should strive to teach God's ways, marriage, abstinence, and educate people on birth control too, but mainly, teach them God's good way for sex, and how He made it to protect them and their children from this whole mess. Ok, I shut up, I ramble.....I'm a man, so my opinion may not be too well thot out here, just thot I'd chime in.

kally

I am pro-life as well. I know God gives us choices and he is forgiving. He is the one that blesses us with the ability to concieve. My thing is why does God allow for women to conceive when he knows they will abort the baby? Yet women who will give their right arm for a child can not conceive, what is the lesson behind this?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I am pro-life as well, and it is a banner that I freely show.

Specifics about my stance are spot-on with Dawny's perspective. :)

Peace,
Mystic

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
kally said:
I am pro-life as well. I know God gives us choices and he is forgiving. He is the one that blesses us with the ability to concieve. My thing is why does God allow for women to conceive when he knows they will abort the baby? Yet women who will give their right arm for a child can not conceive, what is the lesson behind this?

Freedom of choice.

sparc872

I would have to say I lean more towards pro-life. An abortion takes away the responsibility of the parents. I don't believe that we should ban all abortions because there are circumstances where the emotional agony and financial stress of a newborn might be too much; such as in the case of rape, or a birth defect etc. I am against arbitrary abortion, which means I am also against arbitrary intercourse. If you are going to have sex, prepare for it; make sure you understand the consequences fully and don't put your trust in the ability to have an abortion. Use contraceptives, play it safe.

We definitely are letting ourselves down by failing to provide enough contraceptives to our children, that is why the United States has a teenage birth rate twice as high as any other industrialized nation. We need to get the word out about sex to the youth of this nation, we cannot just tell them not to have sex and never give them any help in the event that they do, because kids WILL do it. This goes for any country with an out of control birthrate.

joeboonda

kally said:

I don't know that there is a lesson, free-choice is part of it, but, what about the women who cannot conceive you ask. Well, I think it may be just a result of the Fall. When Sin entered the world, and death by sin, the whole creation changed, and now suffers as a result. Death brings disease, deterioration, sickness, and everything just goes downhill. So, just as a result of being born into a fallen creation with all of the bad things that go along with it, these things just are a fact of life. God knows our pain, and desires we have to trust Him that even if we do not understand all the why's, He will make all things new for us someday. This is not all there is!