• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pro-life Super Bowl Ad: Question for RF

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
This is a question that is on On Faith which I thought would be an interesting discussion topic. I am wondering what all the RF members think about it.

Q: The conservative Christian group Focus on the Family is sponsoring a pro-life ad, featuring football star Tim Tebow, during Sunday's Super Bowl. Should CBS show the ad? Should CBS allow other faith-based groups to buy Super Bowl ads promoting their beliefs on social issues? Is a major sporting event, or a TV ad campaign, an appropriate venue for discussing such vital and divisive culture-war issues like abortion?
I will post my thoughts latter after class as I also plan on possibly doing a blog post on all the comments I have been reading on atheist/skeptic blogs about Tim Tebow. For now my basic, and sarcastic, response is:

How dare CBS air a paid-for ad promoting ideas that are contrary to other peoples opinions!:rolleyes:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I hear CBS, while accepting the Focus ad, has refused to run ads expressing a different point of view from organizations like Planned Parenthood.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
This is a question that is on On Faith which I thought would be an interesting discussion topic. I am wondering what all the RF members think about it.

I will post my thoughts latter after class as I also plan on possibly doing a blog post on all the comments I have been reading on atheist/skeptic blogs about Tim Tebow. For now my basic, and sarcastic, response is:

How dare CBS air a paid-for ad promoting ideas that are contrary to other peoples opinions!:rolleyes:

I thought you were going to wait until later to post your thoughts. :rolleyes: It's OK, though, I think we all knew your thoughts just from the title of the thread.

My thoughts:

Of course, they should allow it. Why not? However, I think it's stupid and a waste of money on the part of FotF. The Super Bowl is not the appropriate place for that kind of stuff. I think the decision-making at FotF is where it should be banned. If they really want to spend $3 million on it, though, CBS should take their money and show it.

The situation really gets sticky, though, when you consider their decision to reject other ads this year and other years.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Should CBS show the ad?
I do not see any reason why they shouldn't that would not apply to many of the commercials we see already.

Should CBS allow other faith-based groups to buy Super Bowl ads promoting their beliefs on social issues?
I think they should, but I also think it is THEIR decision to make.

Is a major sporting event, or a TV ad campaign, an appropriate venue for discussing such vital and divisive culture-war issues like abortion?
IMO, not if you want your ad to be taken seriously.

Most people I know are not looking for that kind of commercial during the superbowl.
I predict that the majority (if not all) the people I know will likely be put off with it simply because they will not think that an anti abortion ad is appropriate during the superbowl.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass

I hear CBS, while accepting the Focus ad, has refused to run ads expressing a different point of view from organizations like Planned Parenthood.
This. They also rejected as "too political" a normal advertisement that featured a gay couple.

If they didn't have a policy of rejecting other views, I wouldn't have an issue with allowing this one.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
This. They also rejected as "too political" a normal advertisement that featured a gay couple.

If they didn't have a policy of rejecting other views, I wouldn't have an issue with allowing this one.
I agree. I wonder why exactly they accepted this ad,is CBS known for being conservative leaning?

I thought you were going to wait until later to post your thoughts. :rolleyes: It's OK, though, I think we all knew your thoughts just from the title of the thread.
If you have some kind of problem with me than just do not bother responding to my posts. There is no point in acting like an ***.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
If you have some kind of problem with me than just do not bother responding to my posts. There is no point in acting like an ***.

I just think it's funny when you say "I'll tell you what I think later" and then go on to tell us what you think a couple lines farther down.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
I just think it's funny when you say "I'll tell you what I think later" and then go on to tell us what you think a couple lines farther down.
Did you miss this part?
For now my basic, and sarcastic, response is:
It was just a quick comment, not a thoroughly explained response. Next time you could just ask if you misunderstood me instead of making insinuations.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member

Wow, we agree. I say air them all! It cannot be worse than half time a few years ago.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Did you miss this part?

It was just a quick comment, not a thoroughly explained response. Next time you could just ask if you misunderstood me instead of making insinuations.

I didn't miss anything. I just thought it was funny that you responded when you said you weren't going to respond until later. I'm not making any insinuations, just stating things plainly.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
I didn't miss anything. I just thought it was funny that you responded when you said you weren't going to respond until later. I'm not making any insinuations, just stating things plainly.
Next time I will be a little more specific.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Is the ad pro-life, as in "against the death penalty?" Otherwise, it seems like a bit of a waste, as everyone is pretty much pro-life as it is.

Daemon Sophic

Wow, we agree. I say air them all! It cannot be worse than half time a few years ago.
I too would agree. Freedom of the press/ freedom of expression are the overriding principles here. Unfortunately, money doesn't always talk. Power is better.

Does CBS have a history of conservative slant? Of COURSE!! As I've state here and elsewhere....there are now only 5 functional, large-scale news outlets/networks in the U.S. They are all headed by old, white, conservative men. Power is better. They can claim that their only interests are capitalistic, yet they are wealthy enough already that taking a minor ding in the wallet every now and then still allows them to control what the rest of humanity sees and hears (and therefore believes). :yes:

Gold alone will not procure good soldiers, but good soldiers will alway procure gold. - Machiavelli
The control of information is something the elite always does, particularly in a despotic form of government. Information, knowledge, is power. If you can control information, you can control people. - Tom Clancy

reference link - http://www.corporations.org/media/

no-body

I'm not offended by the pro-life message, what I am very deeply worried about is the message behind the ad that says you should ignore your doctor and have a child even if your life is at risk because there is a chance they're wrong. Apparently it's okay to indoctrinate young impressionable girls with this tripe but seeing a boob is the end of the world.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
I'm not offended by the pro-life message, what I am very deeply worried about is the message behind the ad that says you should ignore your doctor and have a child even if your life is at risk because there is a chance they're wrong. Apparently it's okay to indoctrinate young impressionable girls with this tripe but seeing a boob is the end of the world.
Do you know for sure that the ad is promoting this? I ask because I have never seen Christians oppose abortions in cases where the mothers life is in danger except for, maybe, the extremists.

no-body

Do you know for sure that the ad is promoting this? I ask because I have never seen Christians oppose abortions in cases where the mothers life is in danger except for, maybe, the extremists.

Well according to this article by npr http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=123035871

The two-time national champion and Heisman Trophy winner appears in the ad with his mother, Pam. The two talk about her choice not to abort Tebow when she became ill during her 1987 pregnancy on a mission trip in the Philippines. Doctors urged her to end the pregnancy for medical reasons; she refused.