• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pro-life Super Bowl Ad: Question for RF

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I dont think all doctors recommend aborting or all women consider aborting under any set of high risk situations.

Technically any woman over 35 is in the "high risk' catergory simply because of her age.

I wonder in fact what % of abortions are women opting for that to avoid possible complications because of higher risk?

Anyway as far as the commercial I dont know.I personally dont really want some kind of lecture on abortion when Im trying to enjoy myself.I think we all know there are children born that the mother decided to have against the recommendations of other people and not just Dr's.In fact I would venture to say their are many more children born against the wishes or advice to abort by the fathers or parents etc..than Drs. warnings .Or better yet women that contemplated it all on their own and then decided not to all over the place.What makes her story so impressive ?Because her son is a big football star now?

Love

Dallas

gnomon

This is a question that is on On Faith which I thought would be an interesting discussion topic. I am wondering what all the RF members think about it.

I will post my thoughts latter after class as I also plan on possibly doing a blog post on all the comments I have been reading on atheist/skeptic blogs about Tim Tebow. For now my basic, and sarcastic, response is:

How dare CBS air a paid-for ad promoting ideas that are contrary to other peoples opinions!:rolleyes:

This is boring.

All that needed to be said.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Why doesn't an opinion matter? Does my opinion that we shouldn't be at war in Afghanistan or Iraq not matter if I'm not out there protesting? Are you serious? Get over yourself.

You know what - MY opinion doesn't matter if I don't back it with action. I can say all day long, "I am pro-choice!" but if I don't support pro choice candidates or support my daughter when she chooses an abortion as her best alternative, then all my talk about it is nothing more than hot air.

I mean, I MAY be able to persuade a few people with my "eloquence," but I personally prefer St Francis' approach: "Preach the gospel always - when necessary, use words." Most people are swayed more by actions rather than words.

Same applies to this thread and anyone participating in it.

Now, I know we're participating in a forum where all we can see is each other's words - but I was carrying the theme PAST words and stating that in order for our beliefs to be effective or meaningful, we have to put some action behind them.

Kathryn

I don't. But let's just go with your idea that it is, that means that there are many, many other women who do have sever complications from it. The point is "high-risk" means high probability of something really bad going wrong. That means, if 100 pregnancies are deemd to be high-risk, by definition, 90 of them are going to go wrong. Otherwise, they weren't actually high-risk. The risk turned out to be pretty low.

Not sure where you're getting your definitions from.

A high risk pregnancy is one in which the life or health of the mother and/or baby is significantly at imminent risk. Wouldn't you agree?

With careful management and monitoring, many of these risks can be controlled, and both mother and baby often then stand a decent chance of being protected.

But the situation is deemed high risk because WITHOUT careful medical management, things could go very wrong.

godischange

HELLO AND WELCOME BACK TO THE ORIGINAL TOPIC..

CBS has a firm policy that not only will they not air commercials with explicitly political messages (which I cannot confirm or discount as I have not seen the commercial), they also say that they will not air commercials backed by political groups IE: Focus on the Family.

So, my question is- where did this policy reversal come from?

Anybody feel like they have some information on this issue instead of deviating into a discussion about high-risk abortions (as you have no official proof that the commercial even covers the topic. NPR does not count as a legitimate source- they were looking for a story and their reporting cannot be verified).

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
HELLO AND WELCOME BACK TO THE ORIGINAL TOPIC..

CBS has a firm policy that not only will they not air commercials with explicitly political messages (which I cannot confirm or discount as I have not seen the commercial), they also say that they will not air commercials backed by political groups IE: Focus on the Family.

Anybody feel like they have some information on this issue instead of deviating into a discussion about high-risk abortions (as you have no official proof that the commercial even covers the topic. NPR does not count as a legitimate source- they were looking for a story and their reporting cannot be verified).

I have no idea.Sorry.It sounds pretty squirley to me though.

Love

Dallas

Kathryn

By the way (and I'm going to digress from the topic again, so be warned, godischange) - I think I owe Storm an apology.

In re reading my earlier post, I think it sounds overly harsh. Storm, I shouldn't have said "Your opinion doesn't matter." That makes it all too personal.

What I SHOULD have said was, "If you see the commercial and disagree with the message it sends, it won't do much good to just talk about it - do something about it. Contact CBS, the NFL, organize a boycott, whatever - but just talking about it won't accomplish much of anything."

Sorry, Storm, for coming across so sarcastically. That really wasn't my intent - certainly not to make my comment seem so personally directed at you.

I'll try to remember this in the future. I need a reminder sometimes that words written on a screen carry different nuances than words spoken in person.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Obviously not...

I have seen nothing that indicates that they ever had any such policy to reverse....

NPR?

Kathryn

I have a really novel idea:

Why don't we all stop spouting off about a commercial that we haven't seen?

How 'bout we all regroup on the topic AFTER we've seen the commercial and we can actually give more informed commentary?

I know, it's a crazy idea...but it ...just...might...work...

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I have a really novel idea:

Why don't we all stop spouting off about a commercial that we haven't seen?

How 'bout we all regroup on the topic AFTER we've seen the commercial and we can actually give more informed commentary?

I know, it's a crazy idea...but it ...just...might...work...

No..I had thought of that.I would really like to see the commercial for discussion.Just I believe someone here said they had knowledge that in part the content was one story of a mother at risk that chose not to abort at her doctors recommendation.It was hard not to comment on that.At least for me .

Love

Dallas

Kathryn

Hey, no prob, Dallas. I know - I responded too!

But in review, it looks like there aren't any really verifiable facts out there yet about the ad. I just figure that I will wait and see it and see who sponsors it before I judge it.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Hey, no prob, Dallas. I know - I responded too!

But in review, it looks like there aren't any really verifiable facts out there yet about the ad. I just figure that I will wait and see it and see who sponsors it before I judge it.

:) Agreed.

Love

Dallas

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
NPR does not count as a legitimate source-

I don't much care for NPR -- I never listen to them -- but this is the first time I've seen them tossed into the FOX News category of illegitimate sources. Thanks for the chuckle.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
You know what - MY opinion doesn't matter if I don't back it with action. I can say all day long, "I am pro-choice!" but if I don't support pro choice candidates or support my daughter when she chooses an abortion as her best alternative, then all my talk about it is nothing more than hot air.

It doesn't matter whether or not you apply it to yourself. My point is that the idea that an opinion only matters if you're actively working on something. I think the wars we have going on in the Middle East are stupid and wasteful. I don't protest them, but I don't think that means my opinion is worthless or meaningless. I think claiming that it is is silly.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Not sure where you're getting your definitions from.

A high risk pregnancy is one in which the life or health of the mother and/or baby is significantly at imminent risk. Wouldn't you agree?

Yup. That's why if 50% or more of the "high-risk" pregnancies turn out fine, then I guess they weren't all high-risk. If you have 100 pregnancies where the life or health of the mother and/or baby is significantly at imminent risk, then at least 60 of them are going to result in the life or health of one of them is severely harmed.

With careful management and monitoring, many of these risks can be controlled, and both mother and baby often then stand a decent chance of being protected.

Right, which would mean they are no longer very high-risk.

But the situation is deemed high risk because WITHOUT careful medical management, things could go very wrong.

Sure, but with medical attention, it's not high-risk anymore.

The point is that if a doctor tells a woman she should not have the baby due to the high risk of complications that would endanger her or the baby's life, the woman shouldn't look to one example where that advice was ignored and it worked out OK. They should look at the thousands of times it was heeded and ignored.