• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Probability of one god's existence of another’s

claycad

subject is supposed to be "Probability of one god's existence OVER another's" my bad

I was talking to an agnostic recently who brought up an interesting concept, a hierarchy of gods. I’m an atheist and believe that any god is as improbable of existing as any other god. This person believes that some gods are more likely to exist than other gods, even though its unknown if any gods actually exist. For instance, they believe that the existence of Jehovah is more probably then the existence of Osiris. I think the existence of Jehovah is as equally unlikely as the existence of Osiris, Krishna, or any other deity.

I am just curious if others believe in this pecking order of the probably of one humanly conceived god over another or whether any god has equal probability of existence as any other. While agnostics believe that it is unknown if any god(s) exist, Is it more reasonable to believe that Jehovah or Krishna may exist than it is to believe that Thor(or any other deities) exists and what would make the probability of the existence of one god more reasonable than the existence of another?

Last edited:

Nessa

Color Me Happy
Many of the gods are possessive and jealous so they should fight out their pecking order. Admittedly, often times man has fought in their god's name. But truthfully, it seems to me, the more gods and differing beliefs that men have believed in and continue to believe in, the less likely there are any.

lamplighter

Almighty Tallest
I'd actually be more inclined to believe that they are all really just the same god(s) than there being a probability pecking order because one religion is more popular than the other. I think your friend is easily persuaded by popular opinion , and has no real basis for his pecking order. It's like saying "Well more kids think Freddie is hiding in their closet than Jason, so Freddie Krueger more likely exists".

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
subject is supposed to be "Probability of one god's existence OVER another's" my bad

I was talking to an agnostic recently who brought up an interesting concept, a hierarchy of gods. I’m an atheist and believe that any god is as improbable of existing as any other god. This person believes that some gods are more likely to exist than other gods, even though its unknown if any gods actually exist. For instance, they believe that the existence of Jehovah is more probably then the existence of Osiris. I think the existence of Jehovah is as equally unlikely as the existence of Osiris, Krishna, or any other deity.

I am just curious if others believe in this pecking order of the probably of one humanly conceived god over another or whether any god has equal probability of existence as any other. While agnostics believe that it is unknown if any god(s) exist, Is it more reasonable to believe that Jehovah or Krishna may exist than it is to believe that Thor(or any other deities) exists and what would make the probability of the existence of one god more reasonable than the existence of another?
Interesting thoughts.
If you were to think about it logically though, wouldn't Osiris and Thor be more or as likely as Yahweh and Krishna? I mean the former two are roughly the same age if not a lot older than the latter two.

Serenade

No pecking order, they all seem rather silly to me, at least as they are represented in the various holy texts.

I think if there is some sort of "god" he/she/it is far beyond what humans have made up or can possibly even understand.

jrbogie

whoever it was you were talking to, he definitately was not an agnostic. if that is his claim then he does not know the definition of agnotic. an agnostic does not "believe that it is UNKNOWN if any gods exist". an agnostic believes that the human mind is not capable of KNOWING if gods exist. a person who believes that some gods are more likely than others is a theist, one who believes in a deity. to believe some gods are more likely than other gods, one must first believer there actually is a god no? an agnostic believes nothing.