• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Psalm 12:6-7; an errant 'proof' of inerrancy

KirbyFan101

Resident Ball of Fluff
Great. I spent $20 bucks on the only bible I ever had a few years ago and some tool didn't translate it properly.

I'm done with this thread. :banghead3

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
heh, I got mine for free. :D
Translation is a tricky thing.. its very easy to get it wrong, eaven if you are a renowed scholar of the language in question.
Just look at all the fuss over the egyption "papyrus of Ani" book of the dead. :cool:

wa:do

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
AV1611 said:
Either Psalm 12:7 says what it says, or it doesn't.
In the context of this thread, that is a sadly deceptive evasion. At issue here is the assertion, as made in the OP by bible.org, that ...
The third person plural pronominal suffix on the verb is masculine, referring back to the “oppressed” and “needy” in v. 5 (both of those nouns are plural in form), suggesting that the verb means “protect” here. The suffix does not refer to twrma (“words”) in v. 6, because that term is feminine gender.
... and that the interpretation imposed on this verse by you and others is a self-serving distortion of its intent. Anyone who reads the OP will find abundant evidence to support this assertion - evidence including the Septuagint, the Targum to Psalms, the Pe****ta Syriac, Jerome, Augustine, Rashi, Kimchi, Calvin, etc.

Please feel free to address this evidence or, if you prefer, to ignore the thread. But do not believe that you can distort this thread with the same facile disrespect that you've demonstrated with respect to Scripture.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Deut. 32.8 said:
In the context of this thread, that is a sadly deceptive evasion. At issue here is the assertion, as made in the OP by bible.org, that ...
The third person plural pronominal suffix on the verb is masculine, referring back to the “oppressed” and “needy” in v. 5 (both of those nouns are plural in form), suggesting that the verb means “protect” here. The suffix does not refer to twrma (“words”) in v. 6, because that term is feminine gender.
... and that the interpretation imposed on this verse by you and others is a self-serving distortion of its intent. Anyone who reads the OP will find abundant evidence to support this assertion - evidence including the Septuagint, the Targum to Psalms, the Pe****ta Syriac, Jerome, Augustine, Rashi, Kimchi, Calvin, etc.

Please feel free to address this evidence or, if you prefer, to ignore the thread. But do not believe that you can distort this thread with the same facile disrespect that you've demonstrated with respect to Scripture.
So in YOUR opinion, does Psalm 12:6-7 say what it says?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Deut. 32.8 said:

Deut, is this what you've been hounding me to address?

may

Because of the despoiling of the afflicted ones, because of the sighing of the poor ones,

I shall at this time arise," says Jehovah.​

"I shall put [him] in safety from anyone that puffs at him."​

The sayings of Jehovah are pure sayings,​

As silver refined in a smelting furnace of earth, clarified seven times.​

You yourself, O Jehovah, will guard them;​

You will preserve each one from this generation to time indefinite...............................this is the NWT there is a footnote regarding verse 6
"A smelting furnace," T. Possibly, "an entrance." The meaning is uncertain....... i must admit i havent read all of the posts but thought i would post this