• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Purism in Religions - You MUST do this to be Authentic!

Muffled

Jesus in me
I seem to always be outside of someone's standards, even when I used to try and fit in. With a whole and gullible heart in my younger days, then with a more pragmatic and strategic one later. Didn't work, anyhow. I've declared the whole project a bust.

It's often phrased as though it is about identity. I don't think it really is about defining what one is; I have come to the conclusion that such rules are always exclusionary, sometimes thinly disguised and sometimes not at all disguised attempts to keep certain people out, not in. And nothing is safe; something that fell within normal variation in one generation becomes the next generation's heresy. When I was a kid, Lutherans in the US seldom fell cleanly into the categories of conservative or liberal as defined by popular religious culture. We were our own thing, with our own theological reasoning and politics. By the time I began seminary, it had all fallen apart; and I found that I was expected to fight in a pointless battle for "identity" on someone else's terms by virtue of which seminary I had enrolled in. And it looked suspiciously like the same politics and issues that were ripping the country apart politically at the same time. Which makes you wonder whether anyone cares about theology at all.

I avoid calling people by a label I haven't heard them use to describe themselves, and outright refuse to deny someone a label they claim, regardless of circumstances.

I believe the only standard you need to answer to is God's. I believe purism contains standards but not all of them. For instance the Apostle Paul said if you are going to be under the law you are responsible for all of them but Christians are not under the law. So a person who is a Christian has a different standard from those who claim to be Christian by tradition but are actually Jewish by dint of following a law although by extension one could say that there are Christian laws which make it different from Judaism or Islam.

Muffled

Jesus in me
It's definitely there to a certain extent. Reconstructionists (across the branches of Paganism) seem solely interested in doing something because the ancients did it that way. I'm working my way through a book called Hellenic Polytheism: Household Worship which seems to confuse the word 'historical' with 'Hellenic'. As an example, if you use a printed image of a god to represent deity in your altar/shrine space in lieu of statuary or other 3D representation then the book says that is "not Hellenic" because the Greeks never did that. Even if you're worshipping a Greek god in a Greek ritual format, apparently it's not Hellenic.

I'm not surprised since the book was written by a Hellenic reconstructionist organisation and was aimed primarily at a Greeks audience. That said, the book is fascinating and a riveting read!

I agree that some people view authenticity as the way things were done in the past. When much is unknown about what was done in the past, I believe some people turn to assuming certain things were done.