• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about celibate Priests

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
1. Is a celibate Priest allowed to adopt children, and in that way build a family?

2. Would a celibate Priest be allowed to use in-vitro fertilization to conceive a child with an egg-donor, and in that way build a family?
b) What if she was the love of his life, and they did everything together but consumate their relationship?

jacquie4000

I don't have the answer...I do not actually agree with the whole Priest issue.

I think they should be allowed to Marry

Judgement Day

Since Priests are Role Models for their followers, I think if everyone followed this, human race would be wiped out of the face of earth, because noone gave birth to babies.

I think Priests should get married.

The religious life (dedicated to the service of God and people) is a special calling to men and women. Moreso the Priesthood, for it needs a special grace from God to be able to fulfill certain obligations/responsibilities (vow of celibacy, adminstrator of sacraments, disavowal of marital/family life, etc) that go with it. One doesn't need to take literally ALL the characteristics of a certain model in order to emulate the good qualities of such model. For example, one doesn't need to be a soldier to follow on the soldier's model of bravery and love of country, one doesn't need to be a police officer to follow on the police's model of obedience to local laws and regulations, one doesn't need to be a teacher to follow on the teacher's good example of being able to teach or pass on knowledge to other people. In the same manner, the Priest doesn't need to be married to be able to teach couples how to raise up good and God fearing Christian children. Besides, the Church now is addressing these issues related to marital relationships by involving the married lay people in counselling and repairing marriage relationships.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
The Catholic church now has a sizeable pool of Married priests who have come from other communions, such as the Church of England. I am sure they would take some notice and use, of their experience of married life and raising children.
Many other churches have married prists including some orthodox and as far as I know all protestant ones.

kimber1

interesting question :) i don't know if it's 'allowed' or not but i do know tht not all rites within the Catholic Church deny the right to marry as priests.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Again, the Catholic encyclopedia comes to the rescue......

Present Position With regard to the law of celibacy and its canonical effects in the Western Church at the present day, only one or two points can be briefly touched upon. For the details the reader must be referred to such a work as that of Wernz "Jus Decretalium", II, 295-321. Clerk in minor orders, as already stated, as free to marry, and by such marriages they forfeit the privilegia canonis and the privilegia fori only in part, provided they observe the required conditions (cf. Decreta Conc. Trid., Sess XIII, cap. vi); though in our day such observance is practically impossible; but they are incapable of being promoted to sacred orders unless they separate from their wives, and make a vow of perpetual continence. Further, if as clerks they held any benefice or ecclesiastical pension, these are at once forfeited by marriage, and the become incapable of acquiring any new benefice. Historically there has been some little variation of practice with regard to married clerks, and the severe measures enacted in their regard by Pope Alexander III were subsequently mitigated by Boniface VIII and the Council of Trent. As regards ecclesiastics in sacred orders (i.e. the subdiaconate and those that follow), the teaching of both theologians and canonists alike, for many centuries past, has been unanimous as regards the facts, though some little divergence has existed regarding the manner of explaining them. All are agreed that the subdeacon in presenting himself of his own free will for ordination binds himself by a tacit vow of chastity (Wernz, IV, n. 393), and that this even constitutes a diriment impediment in view of any subsequent marriage. The idea of this votum annexum seems to be traceable in one form or another as far back as the time of Gregory the Great. Although the opposition to the law of celibacy frequently took the form of open agitation, both in the earlier Middle Ages and again at the Reformation period, only one such movement calls for notice in modern times. This was an association formed principally in Würtemberg and Baden in the early part of the nineteenth century to advocate the mitigation or repeal of the law of celibacy. The agitation was condemned by an Encyclical of Pope Gregory XVI, on 15 August, 1832, and no more permanent harm seems to have resulted than the publication of a certain amount of disaffected literature, such as the pretentious but extremely biased and inaccurate work on compulsory celibacy by the brothers Theiner, a book which at once prohibited by authority and repudiated by Aug. Theiner before he was reconciled to the Church.

kimber1

i asked somewhere else and discovered that IVF is forbidden byt eh Church. not sure why yet but ....yea...

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
2. Would a celibate Priest be allowed to use in-vitro fertilization to conceive a child with an egg-donor, and in that way build a family?
b) What if she was the love of his life, and they did everything together but consumate their relationship?

I do not think women are allowed to become Priests.

athanasius

The Church will allow women to become priest when the church allows turtles and Cats to become priest. Everything has its own role and place in God's church.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
The Church will allow women to become priest when the church allows turtles and Cats to become priest. Everything has its own role and place in God's church.

Hmm... sexism and bigotry.

athanasius

Terrywoodenpic said:
The Catholic church now has a sizeable pool of Married priests who have come from other communions, such as the Church of England. I am sure they would take some notice and use, of their experience of married life and raising children.
Many other churches have married prists including some orthodox and as far as I know all protestant ones.

I know a Married Roman Catholic Priest who came over to the Church from being a Lutheran pastor. He teaches at the seminary. He told us that he would rather be a non-married celibate priest and he supports the celebate priesthood. Why? He told us that it is somtimes gets really tough to father two families, a spiritual family(the Church) and a natural family.

He said one time he was in the middle of his 6 year old sons birthday party and he had to leave to a emergency sick call and give last rights. He missed his sons b-day. So at least I have met married priest who would rather have the priesthood be celebate.

Coincidentally a few years ago a poll was taken by the Roman Catholics seminarians. When asked if they would rather be married, a overwhelming 70% said they would rather stay celbate as it is a higher call from God. Not that Married priesthood is bad, Married priesthood is also good as Paul talks about(Titus 1:5-6) and as the Catholic church recognizes and practices, as we have the eastern Catholic priest who can marry before they are ordained and we also have some Roman Catholic priest who are married that are converts. But good also is the holy practice of celbacy and renouncing temporary goodness of marrige for the sake of the kingdom as St Paul also practiced and taught(1 cor 7: 20, 32, 38) and as Jesus himself called many too(Matt 19:12).

It isn't a either or: either celbacy or the married priest, Its both and: both Married and celebate priest. Pope John Paul II said that Catholics need to breath with both sides of the church, the eastern catholics, like the Byzantine Catholics, and the western Cathlolics or the Roman Catholics. The Catholic church does exercize both celibate and married priesthood in the church. In the eastern Catholic Churches the married priesthood is practiced. In the Western Church the celbate priesthood for the most part is practiced.

There are just two different displines that exercise and emphasize 2 different aspects that Jesus and St Paul taught. One exercises Jesus and Pauls teaching of Marreige. the other exercised Jesus and Pauls teaching of not marrying for the sake of the kigdom. Both are welcome and have been practiced in the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.

Hope that helps.

athanasius

Darkness said:
Hmm... sexism and bigotry.

You may believe what you want. This is free country, but you will never be convinced or at leadt able to see our point of this topic if you do not at least try to think with the mindset of the universal church. Everyhting to us has a natural order and role in life. Women and Men have different roles. I cannot be a mother.

Woman cannot be fathers. Priest are spiritual fathers to us Catholics (Judges 17:10, 1 cor 4:15, Rom 15:16) Just like Men and Turtles have different roles. Not sexism or bigotry, as the mind of the secular angry world thinks, rather a logical theological and Catholic spiritual biblical way of looking at it. Of coarse if you are not Catholic then this really should not upset you at all. It also doesn't upset the good nuns that I know, but then again they are thinking witht the mind of the Church which we bleeive is Gods oracle for 2000 years.

I think some people just like to complain.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Terrywoodenpic said:

The RCC also has the eastern rites in which priests are more often than not married. I'm not sure what you mean by 'some' Orthodox churches. We are one in faith and practice, whatever our ethnicity, and we all, as a result, have married priests. Now, you could have meant Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox (as I would have thought you'd realised by now that we are all the same Church within our communion) and if that's the case, then I can happily tell you that the OOs also have married priests.

With regards to the OP, those of our priests who are celibate are monastics, so no they couldn't raise an adptive family in the way sugested (and IVF would be absolutely out of the question).

James