• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question About the Nigerian School Girls

Alceste

Vagabond
I am asking about Afghanistan after the western world pulls out. Do you think that the problem that females will face once the Taliban return in force will be protested? Now I am not advocating that we remain there, that will not work and I am against it. What I am asking is where will be the voices that are now being raised be? Where were the voices when the senseless murders took place at the boarding school in Nigeria? Where were and are the voices for the thousand of children killed and being killed in Syria? How say the protesters at the University of Michigan at Dearborn and the University of Illinois in Chicago over a presentation of Muslim women speaking out against the oppression of women in their faith. Maybe the elitist are starting to see the problems; the Dorchester Hotels protest. Has the western world began to wake up to the problem of Islamic fundamentalist? Maybe and maybe not, look at the lashing out against Tony Blair on his stance on Islamic extremist by David Georgy of Meet the Press.

If you're not hearing the voices protesting these things or aware of who will still be working on behalf of women in the region, you're not paying attention.

My cousin will still be doing the refugee resettlement work she does with the UN, whether or not a bunch of heavily armed American kids who don't even speak the language - let alone care about protecting women from religious extremism - are gallivanting around the country shooting at people.

She was doing it before the US invasion, she's done it throughout, and she'll still be doing it long after. Her, and people like her, really make a difference in the lives of women in conflict zones.

Soldiers just create conflict zones, which always increase the day to day risk in the lives of women and girls.

MD

qualiaphile
So, you believe in fairy tails also it seems. What do you assume the policies of the Taliban are toward women? Guess they are for the rights of women and young girls. Guess they aren't the ones that attempted to assassinate the young Pakistanian girl I mentioned earlier. Just who was it then. Maybe you should do some reading before assuming that the return of the Taliban to influence and power will not adversely affect women.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/08/w...lnerable-to-reversal-in-afghanistan.html?_r=0
The Taliban in Afghanistan - Council on Foreign Relations

No...did you even read what I wrote. I never said the Taliban were pro women, but the Taliban is not as prominent as it was a decade ago.

And the Taliban are pashtun mostly, or pro pashtun, with a large influx of Pakistanis and Arabs in their ranks as well. Right now all those Pakistanis and arabs have gone to Syria and Iraq ( and are being supplied with weapons from the CIA). Afghanistan is a mix of several tribes, such as pashtun, tajik, uzbek, hazara, etc. Many of those ethnic people are a lot less extreme than pashtuns.

If the US continues to support the infrastructure of Afghanistan without supporting other elements (such as the ISI in Pakistan) then Afghanistan will eventually flourish into a modern muslim state. If the Saudis or Pakistanis (both strong American allies btw) fund the Taliban, then we see a resurgence of the old Taliban who will eventually come to power.

Afghanistan is also increasing it's cooperation and ties with India, a majority Hindu secular democracy. There are too many factors at play here which can prevent the rise of the Taliban again. It's easy to want to send troops when you're not one of the troops going there yourself.

CynthiaCypher

If the US continues to support the infrastructure of Afghanistan without supporting other elements (such as the ISI in Pakistan) then Afghanistan will eventually flourish into a modern muslim state.

Like it used to be, before outside influences messed everything up. Many people do not know Afghanistan's history, it used to be a modern Muslim state that was flourishing.