• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for Jews....

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
A person's race, religion or nationality does not make them better or worse than anybody else. It all boils down to the character and conduct of the individual.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
Good point. There is a long article on this on wikipedia Who is a Jew? - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please can I ask a different question. What is the minimum or basics that a person must "do" to consider themselves as following the Jewish religion correctly?
Good question...

There is actually a difference between being Jewish and following the Jewish religion! One can be born a Jew and not follow Judaism at all, and still be considered a Jew by other Jews. A non-practicing Jew, but still a Jew nevertheless. Even if one professes a totally different faith, the Jewishness is still there. It makes for quite a complicated situation, obviously, especially when you throw conversion into the mix.

Here's a point. Judaism is a communal religion, as much as a personal one. To really follow Jewish religion, you must be a member of a Jewish religious community. Most Jews have more than one. I have at least three. There's no such thing as a Jewish hermit. Asceticism in Judaism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now then, 'following the Jewish religion correctly', that's a whole nother kettle o fish. ;)

Onkara

Now then, 'following the Jewish religion correctly', that's a whole nother kettle o fish. ;)

Thanks Zardoz, looks like a large topic. I was wondering if there was a list, I guess that would be trying to narrow it down way too much :eek:

Harmonious

Please can I ask a different question. What is the minimum or basics that a person must "do" to consider themselves as following the Jewish religion correctly?
Are you referring to someone who was born Jewish or someone who wishes to convert to Judaism?

The two situations are different and therefore have two different answers.

Onkara

Thanks for the reply, Harmonious. I think an understanding of both is required to understand either one, in that case. But please do not spend more time here, I have found a few other posts and answers , in the Judaism DIR which have helped me to understand this a little better, so I propose to step out of Numinous' thread and add to those or start a new one once I can learn more by reading first :)

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
HAIL! And isn't it sad that this actually required saying? It should be self-evident.
True. however, more than others. a 'Jewish identity' has been forced on Jews. even if the people never consider themselves 'Jewish'. a Jewish man can look completely 'Aryan', lead completely secular life, but he may still be pinned down as a 'Jew'. and for that the world now pays.