• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for Muslims.

Minor-Royal

Hedonist
I need to harvest the knowledge of Muslims who know the Quran very well, my question regards any references in your Holy book to Bible scripture, and I would also like to know if your views of creation are the same as with Genesis or if they differ.
I need a person with time and patience as I would like to discuss the above topics and ask further questions.
I am not going to argue about answers, im simply on a fact finding mission about your Holy book.
I have many questions and im hoping for a little informed help is all.

Many thanks for any help.

Joseph.:)

iloveislam

Muslim
I need to harvest the knowledge of Muslims who know the Quran very well, my question regards any references in your Holy book to Bible scripture

As Muslims, we believe that Allah sent Prophets (peace be upon them) to every Nation and revealed Holy Scriptures to certain of His Prophets (peace be upon them).

By name there are four mentioned in the Qur'an:

Tauraat (English: Torah) - revealed to Prophet Moses (peace be upon him) [Al-Qur'an 3:3]
Injeel (English: Gospel) - revealed to Prophet Jesus (peace be upon him) [Al-Qur'an 3:3]
Zuboor - (English: Psalms) - revealed to Prophet David (peace be upon him) [Al-Qur'an 4:163]
Qur'an - revealed to the final Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) [Al-Qur'an 2:2]

The present day Bible (which consists of the Old and New Testament) is not regarded by Muslims as the Torah and Gospel of Prophet Moses and Prophet Jesus (peace be upon them).

Since the Bible has went through generations of modification, Muslims and non-Muslims are agreed upon the fact that it has lost its originality.

However, we Muslims still acknowledge that there may be certain elements within the Bible that still exist and are unchanged.

The Qur'an does indeed refer to the Torah of Moses and Gospel of Jesus (peace be upon them) in many verses, some of which are:

"It is He Who sent down to thee (step by step), in truth, the Book confirming what went before it; and He sent down the Torah (Of Moses) and the Gospel (of Jesus)" [Al-Qur'an 3:3]

"And Allah will teach him the Book and Wisdom, the Torah and the Gospel." [Al-Qur'an 3:48]

"We have sent thee inspiration as We sent it to Noah and the Messengers after him; We sent inspiration to Abraham, Ismail, Isaac, Jacob, and the Tribes to Jesus, Job, Jonah, Aaron, and Solomon, and to David, We gave the Psalms." [Al-Qur'an 4:163]

"But why do they come to thee for decision when they have (their own) Torah before them?― Therein is the (plain) Command of Allah; yet even after that, they would turn away. For they are not (really) people of Faith." [Al-Qur'an 5:43]

"It was We who revealed the torah (to Moses); therein was guidance and light. By its standard have been judged the Jews, by the Prophet who bowed (as in Islam) to Allah's will, by the Rabbis and the Doctors of Law: for to them was entrusted the protection of Allah's Book, and they were witnesses thereto: therefore fear not men, but fear Me, and sell not My Signs for a miserable price. If any do fail to judge by (the light of) what Allah hath revealed, they are (no better than) Unbelievers." [Al-Qur'an 5:44]

and I would also like to know if your views of creation are the same as with Genesis or if they differ.

We believe that Allah created the world in six days but did not take a rest, simply because all forms of anthropomorphism is rejected in Islam. Allah does not need to rest, since resting is a weakness that mankind is subjected to. Allah is Perfect in all His Attributes.

The Qur'an states:

"Allâh! Lâ ilâha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), the Ever Living, the One Who sustains and protects all that exists. Neither slumber, nor sleep overtake Him. To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on earth. Who is he that can intercede with Him except with His Permission? He knows what happens to them (His creatures) in this world, and what will happen to them in the Hereafter . And they will never compass anything of His Knowledge except that which He wills. His Kursî extends over the heavens and the earth, and He feels no fatigue in guarding and preserving them. And He is the Most High, the Most Great." [Al-Qur'an 2:255]

"Your Guardian-Lord is Allah, Who created the heavens and the earth in six Days, then He established Himself on the Throne (of authority): He draweth the night as a veil O'er the day, each seeking the other in rapid succession: He created the sun, the moon, and the stars, (all) governed by laws under His command. Is it not His to create and to govern? Blessed be Allah, the cherisher and sustainer of the Worlds!" [Al-Qur'an 7:54]

"We created the heavens and the earth and all between them in six Days nor did any sense of weariness touch Us." [Al-Qur'an 50:38]

I need a person with time and patience as I would like to discuss the above topics and ask further questions.

No problem.
Keep them coming - (smile)

P.S. If you would like to verify these Qur'anic verses then click here for an English translation of the Qur'an

Last edited:

Minor-Royal

Hedonist
Many thanks iloveislam, it took me a while to digest what you told me plus my computer packed in on me, if we move on from the six days are there any notable differences that Islam his with the Genesis account, ie chapters one to eleven of Genesis, Creation, caine and Abel, The flood, Babel etc.
Does Islam hold the view that God took six 24 hour days.

On Mohammed, did his parents have a religion, ie there was no Islam so were they Christian, Zoroastrian etc, is it known.

Many thanks.

neves

Many thanks iloveislam, it took me a while to digest what you told me plus my computer packed in on me, if we move on from the six days are there any notable differences that Islam his with the Genesis account, ie chapters one to eleven of Genesis, Creation, caine and Abel, The flood, Babel etc.

On Mohammed, did his parents have a religion, ie there was no Islam so were they Christian, Zoroastrian etc, is it known.

Many thanks.

[FONT=&quot]The Qur'an states that "Allah created the heavens and the earth, and all that is between them, in six days" (7:54).

The verses that mention "six days" use the Arabic word "youm" (day). This word appears several other times in the Qur'an, each denoting a different measurement of time. In one case, the measure of a day is equated with 50,000 years (70:4), whereas another verse states that "a day in the sight of your Lord is like 1,000 years of your reckoning" (22:47). The word "youm" is thus understood, within the Qur'an, to be a long period of time -- an era or eon. Therefore, Muslims interpret the description of a "six day" creation as six distinct periods or eons. The length of these periods is not precisely defined, nor are the specific developments that took place during each period.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

(70:4) Surat Al Ma'Arjj

"To him ascend the angels and the spirit in a period of time (yaum), whereof the measure is fifty thousand years."

(22:47) Surat Al Hajj

"And they ask you to hasten the chaistisement, and GOD never changes His promise, and surely a day with your Lord is as one thousand years of your numbering."[/FONT]

Cordoba

Prophet Muhammad's father died before his son was born. He was from a noble family in Makkah, where Prophet Abraham, peace be upon him, had built the House of God (The Ka'bah), many centuries earlier.

Some traces of the religion of Abraham - Monotheism - was still known to few people in Makkah at the time, but the majority of people were polytheists, and each tribe worshipped its statue / god.

Prophet Muhammad's mother died when he was around 5 years old, and his grandfather, who was one of the chiefs in Makkah, took care of him for a few years, followed by his uncle

Some Jewish tribes were located in Madinah, 450 km away, and that was the place to where the prophet emigrated at the age of 53 when the people of Makkah tried to get rid of him ...

Christianity was known in Yemen, and in a place called Nagran, but not in Makkah, with very few exceptions ...

Cordoba

For more background on the life of Prophet Muhammad, I would strongly recommend a book which is available in public libraries in the UK

It's called "The Messenger: The Meanings of the Life of Muhammad" by Dr. Tariq Ramadan (published in the UK by Penguin Books)

I read this book last summer while on holiday in England, and I consider it to be one of the best books written about the life of Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, so far

http://www.tariqramadan.com/article.php3?id_article=845

An excellent book ...

Highly recommended

iloveislam

Muslim
if we move on from the six days are there any notable differences that Islam his with the Genesis account, ie chapters one to eleven of Genesis, Creation, caine and Abel, The flood, Babel etc.

Dear Minor Royal, I have not read the whole of Genesis but rather some parts of it. Thus I cannot provide you with the differences between Islam and Christianity on this subject in its entirity.

However, I can provide you with the main parts to the begining of the creation from Islam's viewpoint. These are:

• Allah created the world in six long periods (discussed below).
  • Allah created Angels
  • Allah then created the first human being, Adam.
  • Allah also created Eve.
  • Both Adam and Eve were tested and told not to go near a tree. [Al-Qur'an 2:35]
  • Both failed this test
  • Then they were expelled from Heaven and put on Earth.
  • Adam became a father of two sons (Habil (Abel) and Qabil (Cain)) and two daughters.
  • Cain killed Abel because of a rift between the two.
  • This was the first killing on the entire earth.
The reference to the above points are in the begining of the 7th chapter of the Qur'an.

The answer neves has given is the correct one (i.e. six long periods).

Here's the video which will explain a bit more on this issue: YouTube - Scientific errors in the Bible: Creation of the universe

Just to point out, Islam existed since Adam (peace be upon him) was created. To say that there was no Islam before Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) would mean all the other Prophets (peace be upon them) and people were non-Muslims, which is rejected in Islam.

This idea that Islam began 1430 years ago is wrong. However, there was wide-spread polytheism in Makkah around the time when Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) was born.

Here's an award winning book about the life of Muhammad (peace be upon him).

Ar-Raheeq_LRG.gif

DOWNLOAD HERE

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
Six days is not interpreted in Islam as six 24 hour days. The true time span that Allah is referring to as "day" is really unknown. To believe that Allah created the universe and the world as He says, and to also believe what science has to say about the theory of creation isn't really at odds with each other. Long periods of time is the best descriptions.

Keep in mind that Allah also says He creates with a word "be", from nothing instantaneously. Science unwittingly supports this. I found this video about the Big Bang theory to be quite interesting. Unfortunately now that I just checked it again it isn't there. It was a video on youtube from National Geographic so maybe you can find it. It was called Before Time and Space.

EDIT: Okay here is the video. Enjoy!

YouTube - Before Time and Space

Last edited:

Minor-Royal

Hedonist
Many thanks, and great replies, this question may be hard to answer, but in a paragraph can you tell me what the central messages the Quran delivers to you?

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
In a single paragraph are you serious?! :D

Okay the first thing that Qur'an drove home was the basis of all the other messages in it, if they are to be understood properly, and that is There is nothing worthy of worship besides Allah, and Muhammad is his messenger. It is a simple yet profound central message. Many people cannot get past this. So many people search for the answer about what/who should they worship if anything at all. Yet totally disregard Allah as a valid solution to that quest. It is stressed so many times in conjunction with so many things, I cannot possibly cover it in a single paragraph. Maybe if you said give it to you in a 20-page thesis paper, i could manage it :)

invincible1

in the quran it says the earth is around 6000 yeas old right?? scientists have proven the earth is billions of years old

Cordoba

Hello and welcome to the forum

The age of the earth is not metioned in The Qur'an

The number 6,000 years is not in The Qur'an, maybe in The Bible

This is how the creation of the universe is described in The Qur'an:

Evidences of Creation.com

riverfox

A slave of Allah (swt)
in the quran it says the earth is around 6000 yeas old right?? scientists have proven the earth is billions of years old
Give us the reference.....

Minor-Royal,Qur'an discusses all matters of life, Faith and deeds
In theology Quran teaches :
Say He is Allah, the One and Only.Allah, the Eternal, Absolute.He begetteth not, nor is He begotten.And there is none like unto Him.
[Al-Qur'an.112:1-4]
Qur'an enjoins good and forbids evil,let's prove this and discuss it through out this forum's threads.

Last edited:

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
We believe that Allah created the world in six days but did not take a rest, simply because all forms of anthropomorphism is rejected in Islam. Allah does not need to rest, since resting is a weakness that mankind is subjected to. Allah is Perfect in all His Attributes.

I'd like to point out that "rest" is not an accurate translation, as the Hebrew word means "to stop." So on the seventh day, God CEASED from his work.

Source: Commentary on the Torah by Richard Elliot Friedman

riverfox

A slave of Allah (swt)
I'd like to point out that "rest" is not an accurate translation, as the Hebrew word means "to stop." So on the seventh day, God CEASED from his work.

Source: Commentary on the Torah by Richard Elliot Friedman
I thought that christians think the original text of the Bible in it's language is lost.I believe in this however. Any way what Hebrew?! Did Mosus or Jesus speak it?

Last edited:

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
So if the sevenths day God didn't literally take a nap. Wouldn't the seventh day still fit within the Muslim beliefs?

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
I have no Idea what it says about a seventh day. I only finished Sura 2. 286 freaking verses. Man that was a killer. It took me all day to read it an take notes.

What I was saying is that the references used to refute the seventh day is the God doesn't tire or sleep. But since "rest" doesn't refer to God sleeping then wouldn't a seventh day being permitted in the Mulsim belief?

Last edited:

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I thought that christians think the original text of the Bible in it's language is lost.I believe in this however.

That's not something I ever heard. Obviously the language as it was spoken is lost(by simple lingual evolution), but not necessarily the writing or the words themselves. (I'm no expert in this field, however.)

Any way what Hebrew?! Did Mosus or Jesus speak it?

The Hebrew I'm talking about is the Hebrew used in the Torah. It is a Jewish custom to rewrite the Torah exactly as it is believed that Moses spoke it to the people.

Using the word "rest" is probably archaic from the King James translation, which is outdated in its linguistics. It's use of "rest" is probably as a synonym for "stop," not "relax" which is a modern synonym of the word.

BTW, I shouldn't have to remind you that Jesus spoke either Aramaic or Greek, not Hebrew.