• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question -- not a debate but...about life on earth

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
So I read that scientists have discovered a black hole then a huge hole in the sun -- so what's to say the sun will definitely burn up and the Earth will not be existing any more? You can debate all you want to, but I am convinced science does not have the "answers" to life. Anyway. MSN

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
So I read that scientists have discovered a black hole then a huge hole in the sun -- so what's to say the sun will definitely burn up and the Earth will not be existing any more? You can debate all you want to, but I am convinced science does not have the "answers" to life. Anyway. MSN
No, they did not discover a black hole on the Sun. The article does not say that. It does not imply that.

The surface of the Sun is not flat. It varies a bit over time. It is not solid. It is not liquid. It is not even a gas. Most of it is a plasma. The article was about a possible solar storm. Equatorial holes of that sort are a concern because when they collapse they can send a strong solar wind out that could possibly hit the Earth. Now the odds of even that hitting the Earth are low, but we need to be aware of them. When they have struck in the past the plasma, which is an ionized cloud of largely hydrogen nuclei have caused massive power outages. Being alert to these threats do allow certain precautions to be made. Even for equatorial storms the vast majority will miss the Earth. But that one has a chance of hitting us where a polar storm would not be able to hit the Earth. This may help:

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Er, if a black hole was "on" the Sun, I'm sure we wouldn't be talking about it for too long. Lol.

HonestJoe

So I read that scientists have discovered a black hole then a huge hole in the sun -- so what's to say the sun will definitely burn up and the Earth will not be existing any more? You can debate all you want to, but I am convinced science does not have the "answers" to life. Anyway.
Could you clarify what your point is here? You seem to have highlighted a couple of separate observations/discoveries made by scientists in the relevant fields, which you appear to be accepting on face value (reasonably enough).

You then make a comment about "science not having the answers to life", which seems an entirely different topic of discussion that has nothing to do with the discoveries you referenced. In general terms science isn't used to get the answer to anything, it is used to get an answer which is deemed most likely given the available evidence. Newly discovered evidence can be used to alter or build on those answers.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Coronal holes are not particularly dangerous though they can cause disruption to power (satellites, grid electricity etc).

Like many other suns, our sun will go red giant in time (about 6 billion years) chances are humanity will have gone extinct a long time before that.

WTF has the answers to life have to do with the price of fish?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Coronal holes are not particularly dangerous though they can cause disruption to power (satellites, grid electricity etc).

Like many other suns, our sun will go red giant in time (about 6 billion years) chances are humanity will have gone extinct a long time before that.

WTF has the answers to life have to do with the price of fish?
Speak for yourself. I am investing in a timeshare on Titan.

cladking

It's entirely possible the solar events are the cause of many of the bottlenecks that cause speciation through behavior.

Other outside phenomena likely impact the earth as well.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
You can debate all you want to, but I am convinced

Screen-Shot-2019-11-05-at-8.33.57-PM.png

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Forget timeshare, I'll sell you an entire property on Titan with land that you can use full time rather than just 2 weeks a year. And it won't cost you a cent more than a timeshare.
The secret to successful timeshare purchasing is to find someone willing to pay you take the property off of their hands.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
No, they did not discover a black hole on the Sun. The article does not say that. It does not imply that.

The surface of the Sun is not flat. It varies a bit over time. It is not solid. It is not liquid. It is not even a gas. Most of it is a plasma. The article was about a possible solar storm. Equatorial holes of that sort are a concern because when they collapse they can send a strong solar wind out that could possibly hit the Earth. Now the odds of even that hitting the Earth are low, but we need to be aware of them. When they have struck in the past the plasma, which is an ionized cloud of largely hydrogen nuclei have caused massive power outages. Being alert to these threats do allow certain precautions to be made. Even for equatorial storms the vast majority will miss the Earth. But that one has a chance of hitting us where a polar storm would not be able to hit the Earth. This may help:

Sorry, it says a hole, not a black hole, opened up on the sun, you're right. I made a mistake I think about that. "A giant hole has opened up on the surface of the Sun, " Things change. :)