• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question -- not a debate but...about life on earth

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Screen-Shot-2019-11-05-at-8.33.57-PM.png
Allow me to ask you a question. Are you convinced there is no God?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
So I read that scientists have discovered a black hole then a huge hole in the sun -- so what's to say the sun will definitely burn up and the Earth will not be existing any more? You can debate all you want to, but I am convinced science does not have the "answers" to life. Anyway. MSN
Badly worded article. Actually it refers to solar storms on the sun and it happens all the time.

F1fan

Veteran Member
So I read that scientists have discovered a black hole then a huge hole in the sun -- so what's to say the sun will definitely burn up and the Earth will not be existing any more? You can debate all you want to, but I am convinced science does not have the "answers" to life. Anyway. MSN
You will be dead and not in a heaven long before any of this is a problem for you. Is being confused due to religious beliefs any sort of "answer" to life?

F1fan

Veteran Member
Allow me to ask you a question. Are you convinced there is no God?
Which God is known to exist that some aren't convinced exists?

To my thinking your question is just Christian projection of denial of evolution. Your type of Christian has been fooled to believe evolution is wrong, and you twist this and project it as an issue for well-educated atheists (and even theists).

YoursTrue

We can discuss this when you learn what a fact is.
I had to laugh when I saw this one:
"The date of the last eruption of a huge volcano in Germany called Laacher See has been changed after scientists realized the original calculations were wrong.
The volcano was originally thought to have last erupted 13,077 years ago, 2021 research in the journal Nature found, but now, according to a new study—also in Nature—this date might be 130 years off, with the volcano actually erupting 12,880 years ago."
Well, not really a big deal -- just off by maybe 130 years off -- not a lot of time.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
"The date of the last eruption of a huge volcano in Germany called Laacher See has been changed after scientists realized the original calculations were wrong.
The volcano was originally thought to have last erupted 13,077 years ago, 2021 research in the journal Nature found, but now, according to a new study—also in Nature—this date might be 130 years off, with the volcano actually erupting 12,880 years ago."
Well, not really a big deal -- just off by maybe 130 years off -- not a lot of time.
Why was that funny to you? Oh wait, you did not read the article or at best you did not understand it.

Scientists have to aware of various possible sources of contamination for objects that are dated. Dating individual crystals in rock is rather easy. It is very hard to change the interior of a crystal. But things that were once alive are not so easy. In Carbon Dating there can be contamination by old carbon. This is called The Reservoir Effect. In fact it is usually found in sea life so a qualifier is added:

In the ocean there are many areas where the carbon is very old. Currents can take water that just dissolved some CO2 recently in it and take hundreds of years to circulate back up to the surface. Also carbo that goes to the bottom in sea shells can be consumed again and again. Plants on land get very recently made C14 from the air. But the C14 in the oceans may be isolated for a very long time. That gives low amounts of C14 when dated giving a false high date. In the article it explains how carbon dioxide dissolved in water from the volcano could have tainted the wood that they were dating giving it a high false age.

When scientists find an error they make it public so that the mistake is not repeated.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
You do understand that 130 years in 13,000 years is a 1% error which is quite a low value of error?

YoursTrue

Why was that funny to you? Oh wait, you did not read the article or at best you did not understand it.

Scientists have to aware of various possible sources of contamination for objects that are dated. Dating individual crystals in rock is rather easy. It is very hard to change the interior of a crystal. But things that were once alive are not so easy. In Carbon Dating there can be contamination by old carbon. This is called The Reservoir Effect. In fact it is usually found in sea life so a qualifier is added:

In the ocean there are many areas where the carbon is very old. Currents can take water that just dissolved some CO2 recently in it and take hundreds of years to circulate back up to the surface. Also carbo that goes to the bottom in sea shells can be consumed again and again. Plants on land get very recently made C14 from the air. But the C14 in the oceans may be isolated for a very long time. That gives low amounts of C14 when dated giving a false high date. In the article it explains how carbon dioxide dissolved in water from the volcano could have tainted the wood that they were dating giving it a high false age.

When scientists find an error they make it public so that the mistake is not repeated.
OK, well I'm reading about electrons, neutrons and the like.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You do understand that 130 years in 13,000 years is a 1% error which is quite a low value of error?
It appears that they figured out that they could be in error and then confirmed it with an observation elsewhere:

"The updated estimate of 12,880 years ago is backed up by a newly discovered spike of sulfur in the Greenland ice sheet, thought to have been a result of the eruption. This sulfur spike has been dated to around 12,870 years ago, closely matching the new eruption date estimate."

The correction was almost right on.

YoursTrue

True, it was a small error. Are you saying that what was taught as fact in school remains true?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
True, it was a small error. Are you saying that what was taught as fact in school remains true?
How do you know how it was taught in schools? Scientific discoveries, when they are taught correctly, do have language that means that it would not have been represented as a "fact".

And you are quibbling about very small errors. Why are you not laughing at the enormous errors in the Bible. Some of them a million times greater or more. If that small error makes you laugh the Bible should literally kill you with laughter.

YoursTrue

What? I was reading an article about Pluto and came across this: Pluto was "spotted in 1930 by astronomer Clyde Tombaugh at Arizona’s Lowell Observatory (named after the otherwise respected American astronomer Percival Lowell who believed that Martians dug the canals found on that planet’s surface)." Again -- lol -- (sorry to laugh) Yet he did spot Pluto. The analysis of Pluto (what is was) changed over the years...regardless of science learning more, the "facts" offered by science can change. Oh well.

YoursTrue

How do you know how it was taught in schools? Scientific discoveries, when they are taught correctly, do have language that means that it would not have been represented as a "fact".

And you are quibbling about very small errors. Why are you not laughing at the enormous errors in the Bible. Some of them a million times greater or more. If that small error makes you laugh the Bible should literally kill you with laughter.
I am taking about Pluto now. Some things are taught in schools as true but change later due to new observations. So? There is nothing to prove (yes, there's that word again) that the Earth will dissolve. That "hole" shows that things change and yes, God can do what He wants.

YoursTrue

There's more. I don't believe everything that others believe about religion but anyway, I'll leave that for another time. And you've already said you don''t care much about that. But for me to believe the posits of scientific thinking about the "Big Bang" and the sun burning itself out is not within my realm of belief reference now. I am sure it is for you and many others. I'm not going to argue about atomic structure right now; how it got here and how schools and books would represent it. Maybe later.