• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions About Christianity

Jerrell

I've found out that many people have questions. I am here to answer any and all of them, just ask. Wether prophecy, or faith, or contradictions, or understanding, or history, or anything, Ask and I answer (Concerning religion).

ayani

Jerell- hello! i agree with michael, you're indeed a brave man.

i ahev a question on the doctrine of universal salvation. namely, what is your take on it? will God, according to Christianity, save all people? can he, and if not, what limits Him in His power and mercy from doing so?

many thanks- grace

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Which Gospel gives the correct account of the resurrection?
+
Who was the first to visit the empty tomb?

josh24

Sorry for jumping in on this blog and i don't know if everything i say makes sense but let me know if you disagree with anything and i can try and clearify it for you.
God has saved all but it is whether all accept it. Jesus died on the cross for everyone but not everyone excepts that He has done that, or in other words, they are saying that they don't want to be with Him, so God won't force them to be with Him. God will send them to Hell (separation from God). The question is not what limits God from doing so. The question is what limits us from asking God to save us, none of us are perfect and we all need someone perfect to save us, it is the only logical solution. God is just and good and if God is just and good He would have to give justice. You have probably heard this before, but a just and good judge will not let the criminals go free without giving them thier punishment. If the judge did not do that then we would consider the judge not a fair judge. If universal salvation is true then what reason are we here on earth, why not just put us into heaven to begin with. It would also seem unfair that someone who raped children and murdered people would get away with it free without punishment. We ourselves are no better than that person, that is why we need Christ and that is why we need to recognize that we are sinners and that we are not perfect people that can save oursleves from hell. If we change our ways and follow God and realize that we are too sinful to save ourselves then God will take us in and care for us like a good parent is to thier child. So we better make sure that we know where we are going when we die because the risk that we take by not making the decision is very high (Eternity in Hell). I try to continuously pray earnestly that i stay on the right path and I am not sure where you are in your faith but i will pray for you and ask that you earnestly and humble pray and seek the truth and ask God to instill in your heart the right direction to salvation and be careful because feelings can lead you down the wrong path if they are seeking your own personal desires.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
josh24 said:
God has saved all but it is whether all accept it. Jesus died on the cross for everyone but not everyone excepts that He has done that, or in other words, they are saying that they don't want to be with Him, so God won't force them to be with Him. God will send them to Hell (separation from God).
This inspires another question;

Why would God separate you from Him simply because you prefer, say, the Muslim or Jain depiction of God over the typical Christian concept?

ayani

great question, Hal. if God doesn't save folks of non-Christian faiths, does that mean thatGod is limited in who he can save and not save? couldn't he save a Muslim or a Druze if he wanted to? if God is limited by christian doctrine, is he still all-mighty?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
gracie said:
if God is limited by christian doctrine, is he still all-mighty?

God is not limited by anything.
If a doctrine appears to limit him the doctrine is therefor wrong.

Those parts of the Bible and the doctrines gleaned from it that limit God, must either be wrongly reported, or we err in our interpretations of them.

Super Universe

Defender of God
He said he would answer the questions, he just didn't say when.

But here is mine when you get around to it:

How do you explain the change in religious thought from the "wrath of God" portrayed in the Old Testament that evolved into "forgiveness" in the New Testament?

rocketman

Out there...
Super Universe said:
How do you explain the change in religious thought from the "wrath of God" portrayed in the Old Testament that evolved into "forgiveness" in the New Testament?

That's easy. Read the whole book. No, seriously, the whole story is an arc with God as the central character with us changing around him, not the other way around. There is a fundamental plot twist with the old-contract being finalised and superseded by a new-contract. But the story actually starts without a need for forgiveness. It's only when the need arises does the drama begin. When God finally rocked up to the party in human form he had plenty to say about why things had travelled as they did. Matt 23:37 is telling. In hindsight so is Ezek 18:23-28. My point? The need to escape the 'wrath' contract via the 'forgiveness' contract is the story, always was the story according to the OT prophets, and one that will be missed if one stops too long on a single point.

So, we got free will [or choice], we blew it, a just deity has consequences pre-announced [Gen 2:17], but deity in question loves us, so pre-arranged plan to save offspring swings into action. By the way, death here had to mean permanent death, and as a consequence was for our beneift, God not wanting someone to live forever and be eternally incomplete and unhappy; I offer as evidence that the tree of life was put off-limits after our rebellion, one good reason why I don't believe in eternal hell. Think about it. Anyway, Jesus rocks up and restores access to the tree, lesson learned. It's all painfully slow for us, but short-as compared to eternity. That's all folks.

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
Terrywoodenpic said:
Those parts of the Bible and the doctrines gleaned from it that limit God, must either be wrongly reported, or we err in our interpretations of them.
In either case wouldn't this deny the concept of sola scripture, since in both cases one would need more then personal interpretation of a set canon to ensure a 'correct' theology. *tries in vain to end the sentence with a question mark; and fails*

@Jerrell: Good luck! :)

If you have the time. could you tell me briefly the relationship you feel Christianity has with other faiths; and in particular what you think about recent efforts to foster a more inclusive atmosphere between various denominations of Christianity, and between Christianity and other religions.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Super Universe said:
He said he would answer the questions, he just didn't say when.

But here is mine when you get around to it:

Differences in human understanding of their experiences of the Divine.

Tho having said that, the stark transition from wrathful deity to forgiving one is largely a product of the way early Christians chose to order the books. They did this to accentuate the contrast. The Jewish bible does not order the "Old Testament" in the same way. So if one reads these same books in the Jewish order, one gets a different impression of God than when one reads the Christian order. I don't think that those Jews who are theists view their G-d as only or even primarily wrathful. Instead, their bible is a record of a relationship between a people and their G-d and as in all relationships, some times are happy and some are not.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
NordicBearskin said:
In either case wouldn't this deny the concept of sola scripture, since in both cases one would need more then personal interpretation of a set canon to ensure a 'correct' theology.
First of all only a section of Christian churches believe in Sola Scriptura.

It would seem to be a false doctrine for a number of reasons. The prime one being there is not only one version of the Bible, which do not not have a fixed number of books with in them.

Secondly, to read the Bible one has to interpret it into today’s language, in which words have constantly changed in meaning over the past 2000 years. If you put today’s meaning to the words translated into English for say the King James Version, you come up with quite differing meanings and concepts, to those that would have been held by the translators.

Other reasons include… That the older denominations believe that the word of God has come down to us in many ways such as word of mouth, tradition, ceremony, and the fact that not every thing known about God and Christ and his teachings were ever included in the books of the bible.

Sola Scriptura also precludes the inclusion of earlier versions of books and writings to be included or consulted, if they were to be found or rediscovered today. Nor does it allow for the Inspiration of God to speak to us today.

As for their being “one correct Theology and Canon” I have never heard that any one had even tried to establish this. Even the various “fundamentalist “churches do not agree on a single Theology and Canon.

If you have the time. could you tell me briefly the relationship you feel Christianity has with other faiths; and in particular what you think about recent efforts to foster a more inclusive atmosphere between various denominations of Christianity, and between Christianity and other religions.
Your second question concerning ecumenicalism Between the Christian churches.
In my local Diocese, and I would say thorugh out the UK. Most Christian Churches work well together. In my own area this is through “Churches Together” which brings all the mainstream churches to work together in the community.
The chances of Bring the Churches together as a single church, is unlikely in the extreme. There are just too many differences. A single example would be the position of women as Priests and Bishops.

In the UK there is a very active fostering of accommodation between the various faiths. This works better in some communities than others. The Church of England has active contacts with all the main faiths, what is more important this encourages communication and joint projects.

The Muslim communities here seem to be happier working with the Abrahamic religions than with others; and have more respect for people with a strong faith, than for those with a purely secular outlook.

There are not many churches or faiths that take as broad an outlook on religion as we see on this forum. Perhaps this shows the power of communication when people are prepared to listen to other views.

zombieharlot

Some Kind of Strange
Jerrell said:
I've found out that many people have questions. I am here to answer any and all of them, just ask. Wether prophecy, or faith, or contradictions, or understanding, or history, or anything, Ask and I answer (Concerning religion).

Don't know why, but I ask this question a lot. Can and did demons really have sex with humans?

Super Universe

Defender of God
rocketman said:
That's easy. Read the whole book. No, seriously, the whole story is an arc with God as the central character with us changing around him, not the other way around. There is a fundamental plot twist with the old-contract being finalised and superseded by a new-contract. But the story actually starts without a need for forgiveness. It's only when the need arises does the drama begin. When God finally rocked up to the party in human form he had plenty to say about why things had travelled as they did. Matt 23:37 is telling. In hindsight so is Ezek 18:23-28. My point? The need to escape the 'wrath' contract via the 'forgiveness' contract is the story, always was the story according to the OT prophets, and one that will be missed if one stops too long on a single point.

So, we got free will [or choice], we blew it, a just deity has consequences pre-announced [Gen 2:17], but deity in question loves us, so pre-arranged plan to save offspring swings into action. By the way, death here had to mean permanent death, and as a consequence was for our beneift, God not wanting someone to live forever and be eternally incomplete and unhappy; I offer as evidence that the tree of life was put off-limits after our rebellion, one good reason why I don't believe in eternal hell. Think about it. Anyway, Jesus rocks up and restores access to the tree, lesson learned. It's all painfully slow for us, but short-as compared to eternity. That's all folks.

Are you saying that God planned the whole thing from the start? He planned the fall of Adam and Eve? He planned to flood the world? That He planned to treat us with a fist in the beginning only so He could send His Son as an offering of salvation?

I don't buy it. No way, no how. It's the same view as the ignorant humans thousands of years ago who didn't know what caused the storms so they blamed them on God.

Today we still call these things "Acts of God" but no one truly believes that God sends these things because we now know their cause. If God sent Katrina then why didn't He also send tornado's to Houston to get those who tried to escape?

The Supreme Being has never been angry. He cannot become jealous. He tempt's no one. He does not punish His children.

If you truly knew Him then you would know that these things are not possible. God is the Creator, not the destroyer.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
Jerrell said:
Why would an allegedly omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, merciful God create humans with free will, knowing in advance that many of them would burn in Hell for all eternity, as alleged by many Christians?

MdmSzdWhtGuy

Well Hotrod,

you popped off real big, but I fail to see how you have backed it up. I think many strong legitimate questions have been posed. I now pose yet another to you, "Explain, consistent with known natural science. . . dinosaurs, and the known age of the Earth"

B.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
YamiB. said:
I have a simple question that there seems to be much dispute over.
Yeah, no kidding.

What is a Christian?
To add to the dispute...

Jesus Christ himself never used the word "Christian" and it is never actually defined in the Bible. He did, however, say that men would be able to idea His followers by the love they showed for one another. In my opinion, a person is a Christian if He chooses to acknowledge Jesus Christ as His Savior and strives to live according to the example Christ set for us.