• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions for God

InChrist

Free4ever
I don't expect anything from gods. Nor do I expect them to be wise on my behalf. They would have their own interests, but don't seem to care about our world.

Also, my ideas are not short-sighted from my perspective. They're what matter to me. Finite beings would have different interest from gods, wouldn't they? Whatever might occupy their minds would be of little interest to those unaffected by whatever that is. Why should anybody care about the reasons such a god has for doing whatever it does if it's not doing them for him or those he cares about?

I simply have no use for this god concept and no reason to think about gods beyond discussions like these.
What if you are wrong and there is a God who does/is doing things for the long term/ eternal benefit of those He created and cares about?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What if you are wrong and there is a God who does/is doing things for the long term/ eternal benefit of those He created and cares about?
That would be great. I don't see a problem there even if that's the case.

I think what's bothering you is that you assume that such a creature should be worshiped if it exists or even because it might exist. I don't think like that. Worshiping isn't something I do. I have great respect for nature, but I don't worship it. I have (or had) great respect for Joe Biden, Carl Sagan, and Muhammad Ali, but I don't worship any of them. Likewise with any gods that might exist or have existed.

InChrist

Free4ever
That would be great. I don't see a problem there even if that's the case.

I think what's bothering you is that you assume that such a creature should be worshiped if it exists or even because it might exist. I don't think like that. Worshiping isn't something I do. I have great respect for nature, but I don't worship it. I have (or had) great respect for Joe Biden, Carl Sagan, and Muhammad Ali, but I don't worship any of them. Likewise with any gods that might exist or have existed.
But do you love anyone? I think according to the scriptures, worship simply means a very high degree of love. The scriptures include three forms of love; agape love being the highest, most selfless love that honors the object of one’s love. God is Love, according to the Bible; meaning He is the foundational and only source of love. You can call it worship and think that you don’t want to worship anyone, including a God Being. But again, do you love anyone? I see worship as synonymous with the highest form of love and it makes sense to me to love God first and foremost.

Last edited:

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Where does the Tanakh say that this is a fallen world?

Certainly not in the Genesis Garden story, where there's absolutely zero mention of sin or fall (which is appropriate since Adam and Eve had been denied knowledge of good and evil hence were incapable of forming an intention to do wrong hence were incapable of sin.)

Yes I know Paul mentions it once, and that around 400 CE Augustine of Hippo made it popular, but it's not from the bible but from one particular midrash version in Alexandria late in the 2nd century BCE. Ezekiel 18 makes it emphatically clear that sin can't be inherited. And Jesus says nothing of the kind in any of the four gospels.)
God didn't cause the flood to happen because everything was so good. Adam could have lived forever if he didn't sin. He therefore could not transmit the ability to live indefinitely to his offspring once he caused death for himself. You weren't there. I wasn't there. No videos were taken of a change within Adam's body. I believe the Bible, it makes sense to me. God did not tell anyone but Adam to not eat from that tree. If he did, God said Adam would die. If he did not, he would not die.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
But do you love anyone? I think according to the scriptures, worship simply means a very high degree of love. The scriptures include three forms of love; agape love being the highest, most selfless love that honors the object of one’s love. God is Love, according to the Bible; meaning He is the foundational and only source of love. You can call it worship and think that you don’t want to worship anyone, including a God Being. But again, do you love anyone? I see worship as synonymous with love and it makes sense to me to love God first and foremost.
Hello. I was thinking about that. David loved God from a young man. Others did, too. Likely Daniel and the three Hebrew men thrown in the lions' pit loved God from young men onwards.

InChrist

Free4ever
Hello. I was thinking about that. David loved God from a young man. Others did, too. Likely Daniel and the three Hebrew men thrown in the lions' pit loved God from young men onwards.
Yes, I believe they loved God, even more than their own lives…as well as trusted God with whatever the future held for them.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
God didn't cause the flood to happen because everything was so good.
God didn't cause the Genesis flood to happen at all. Like the garden of Eden, it's a myth. When describing either, the words "In the story" are understood to start each sentence. The geological, genetic, physical and cosmological evidence against there ever having been a real Genesis flood is overwhelming.
Adam could have lived forever if he didn't sin.
No, the story doesn't say anything of the kind. They were always going to die. Otherwise the presence of the Tree of Life in the garden makes no sense. Nor does the story ever mention sin, or the fall of mankind, or spiritual death, or any of the usual Christian trappings.

God states [his] reasons for kicking Adam and Eve out of the Garden in Genesis 3:22-23. It was to stop them from eating of the Tree of Life and becoming like [him]. Read it for yourself, for goodness' sake!

I believe the Bible, it makes sense to me.
Then you'll know that ─
(a) exactly as I said, there is no mention of sin &c in the Garden story, and
(b) Ezekiel 18 says out loud and proud that sin can't be inherited ─

20 The soul that sins shall die. The son shall not suffer for the iniquity of the father, nor the father suffer for the iniquity of the son; the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself.​

In fact you should read the whole of chapter 18 of Ezekiel.

God did not tell anyone but Adam to not eat from that tree. If he did, God said Adam would die. If he did not, he would not die.
No, God said "in the day that you eat of it you shall die" (Genesis 2:17). And the serpent said to Eve, "You will not die. For god knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good from evil" (Genesis 3:4-5).

God's statement was a lie ─ it makes no sense as a mistake ─ and the serpent's statement was true.

Why do Christians only learn about the bible from what they're told, instead of reading it for themselves? Why does it fall to me to tell you the Garden story NEVER mentions sin? When you know that, then you'll know that Paul's brief mention of the Fall is not supported by the Tanakh. The origins of that version appear to have arisen among Jews of Alexandria from the midrash tradition late in the second century BCE.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I see worship as synonymous with the highest form of love and it makes sense to me to love God first and foremost.
One can't love (or have a personal relationship with) a fictional character or somebody he's never met. And I only recognize one form of love in the literal sense, although there are degrees of commitment to objects of love, meaning that what varies is the intensity and not the nature of the love. Thus, I love my dogs, but I love my wife more. In each case, I'm interested in their well-being, and I am willing to protect them all and share scarce resources on their behalves, but not to the same degree.

I love them all but worship none of them or anything or anybody else. Worship is just not part of my life.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
God know much more than us. God know everything. The Catholic say ominscent; excuse the typo.
But that's merely assertion. Clearly God can't claim to know absolutely everything if [he] can't be certain there's nothing [he] doesn't know [he] doesn't know.

So HOW does God know there's nothing [he] doesn't know [he] doesn't know?

F1fan

Veteran Member
Oh, so God cares for US because we didn't die from childhood cancer like so man other kids. Those other kids, tough ****, says God. Well, I still can't respect that God if it were to exist. Aren't you glad there's no evidence, because then you would have a lot of explaining to do as a worshipper. How embarassing to worship a serial killer, right?

We Never Know

No Slack
But that's merely assertion. Clearly God can't claim to know absolutely everything if [he] can't be certain there's nothing [he] doesn't know [he] doesn't know.

So HOW does God know there's nothing [he] doesn't know [he] doesn't know?
Simple... Because he knows everything :p

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Words games lol
No.

Either there's a method that allows God to know that there's nothing [he] doesn't know [he] doesn't know, or there isn't.

What is that method?

Because without it, God can't be said to be omniscient.

Indeed the claim that "God has seven legs and each leg has seven blue toes" is a more credible claim, since, if God is indeed real, it's not impossible that [he] has seven legs and each leg has seven blue toes.

Whereas the claim that God is omniscient has the problem I mention,

There's a credible hypothesis that the error in Matthew arises because the word for 'young woman' in Isaiah 7:14 was translated into the Septuagint as 'virgin' instead of 'young woman', and that the author of Matthew, totally disregarding what Isaiah 7:14-15 actually say (that the conception occurred and the son was born within those chapters) decided that Jesus had to be born of a virgin because scripture said so. Of course, the unknown author of Matthew may have got that version of the story from his particular Christian group. A version is repeated by the author of Luke.
I think the context shows the correct translation is a virgin. Or why would you think a woman becoming pregnant would otherwise be any sign? It happens all the time.
And the genealogies in Matthew and Luke are not only not credible, but ridiculous since they claim Joseph, specifically NOT Jesus' father, was descended from David. So for those two Jesuses, I guess you'd have to hope God was descended from David, though I can see difficulties with that view.
The point is to show that Jesus was born to the David's family.