• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quotes!

Aasimar

Atheist
I figured I'd lighten this up a bit :0 Since I know I'm right, and all you silly believers are crazy in the head (j/k :)), The stipulation for this thread is that you aren't allowed to use your own words. All posts must be quotes from someone else, preferably someone fairly famous. Let's see what inspiration we can draw from the previous generations religious debates ;)

I'll start off.

In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time someting like that happened in politics or religion. Carl Sagan (1934 - 1996), 1987 CSICOP Keynote Address

The Seeker

Once upon a time....
"My own mind is my own church. All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."

Thomas Paine (1737-1809)

The Seeker

Once upon a time....
"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His father, in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter."

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

McBell

Admiral Obvious
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing, all-powerful God, who creates faulty humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes."
--Gene Roddenberry

Aasimar

Atheist
America is a nation that is -- a nation that values our relationship with an Almighty. Declaration of God in the Pledge of Allegiance doesn't violate rights. As a matter of fact, it's a confirmation of the fact that we received our rights from God, as proclaimed in our Declaration of Independence. I -- I believe that it points up the fact that we need common-sense judges who understand that our rights were derived from God. And those are the kind of judges I intend to put on the bench. -- Dubya blasting an 8-foot-wide hole through the separation of church and state, and totally ignoring the actual context in which the "under God" stanza was added to the Pledge of Allegiance. I also have to assume that in the realm of DubyaSpeak, "common-sense" means "God-fearing Christian". So much for atheists, agnostics and Buddhists, eh Dubya? Kananaskis, Canada, Jun. 27, 2002

Nick Soapdish

Secret Agent
"My own mind is my own church. All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."

Thomas Paine (1737-1809)

The human mind is a dangerous plaything, boys. When it's used for evil, watch out. But when it's used for good, then things are much nicer.

-- The Tick

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
You're not supposed to have faith, it's suppose to have you.

-----Anonymous

McBell

Admiral Obvious
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect, had intended for us to forgo their use." --Galileo Galilei

"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence." --Doug MacLeod

kiwimac

Brother Napalm of God's Love
If your lies are going to be this transparent, this is going to be a very short interrogation" -- Kira
  • "Then I'll try to make my lies more opaque..." -- Gul Darhe'el

McBell

Admiral Obvious
The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals and three hundred
sixty-two admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn't mean that God
doesn't love heterosexuals. It's just that they need more supervision.
-- Anonymous

[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif] All religions are the same: religion is basically guilt, with different holidays.
~Cathy Ladman

[/FONT][FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif] This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness. ~Dalai Lama

[/FONT][FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif] Religion is the sign of the oppressed creature, the sentiment of a heartless world, and the soul of soul-less conditions. It is the opium of the people. ~Karl Marx[/FONT]

McBell

Admiral Obvious
"I was once asked: You celebrate Easter?
I told them, hell yeah I celebrate Easter. I celebrate ALL holidays based on candy!" --Elaine Boosler

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
"God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we, murderers of all murderers, console ourselves? That which was the holiest and mightest of all that the world has yet possessed has bled to death under our knives. Who will wipe this blood off us? With what water could we purify ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?"

-- Friedrich Nietzsche

Aasimar

Atheist
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear."

- Thomas Jefferson

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
"Nothing worth learning can be taught"
----Oscar Wilde

"You shall not pass!!!"
----Gandolf

McBell

Admiral Obvious
"That historians should give their own country a break, I grant you; but not so as to state things contrary to fact. For there are plenty of mistakes made by writers out of ignorance, and which any man finds it difficult to avoid. But if we knowingly write what is false, whether for the sake of our country or our friends or just to be pleasant, what difference is there between us and hack writers? Readers should be very attentive to and critical of historians, and they in turn should be constantly on their guard."
--Polybius

Life is the future, not the past. The past can teach us, through experience, how to accomplish things in the future, comfort us with cherished memories, and provide a foundation of what has already been accomplished. But only the future holds life. To live in the past is to embrace what is dead. To live life to it's fullest, each day must be created anew. As rational, thinking beings, we must use our intellect, not a blind devotion to what has come before, to make rational choices.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Your true value depends entirely on what you are being compared with

Tell a man there are 30 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Pariah

Let go
"God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we, murderers of all murderers, console ourselves? That which was the holiest and mightest of all that the world has yet possessed has bled to death under our knives. Who will wipe this blood off us? With what water could we purify ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?"

-- Friedrich Nietzsche

Darkness,
What book of Nietzsche's is this quote from?

"Man, know thyself and thou shalt know the Universe and its Gods"
- The Oracle at Delphi