• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quran has 102 errors and contradictions in it, do you want to see them.

stevecanuck

The Quran is widely recognized for its poetic and metaphorical use of language.

Is "The most wicked creatures in the sight of God are the unbelievers" supposed to be read in iambic pentameter?

There is nothing even remotely poetic about the Qur'an.

stevecanuck

The Surahs are mixed like a "deck of cards," and how they should be interpreted is the responsibility of accredited Islamic scholars, not merely recited.

Here's another question for you:

If the Qur'an is meant for Islamic scholars only to understand, why did Mohamed recite it to the general public?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Most everything written by humans contains contradictions, errors, unattested assumptions, unverifiable assertions and all manner of problems. Most of the time, we don't care all that much (unless it's one of those Detective novels in which we're all surprised with the big reveal at the end).

So why do we care when it's the Qur'an, or the Bible, or any other scripture? Because, we attach greater importance to these works -- but without any particular reason for assuming that greater importance.

In my view, all such works should be regarded the same way we regard the writings of Socrates or Plato or Descartes or A.C. Grayling or any other philosopher -- or indeed any playwrite or novelist or poet: that they provide us with possible insights, that we can accept or dismiss, to help us in our efforts to live a good life. Good for ourselves and good for those around us.

We only go wrong when we accept such works, whether scripture, philosophy, fiction or poetry as holding irrefutable truth ---- they do not. They only give us hints as to other ways to view our world, to think about who we are and our place in it.

Betho_br

Is "The most wicked creatures in the sight of God are the unbelievers" supposed to be read in iambic pentameter?

There is nothing even remotely poetic about the Qur'an.

"Inductive Generalization". This occurs when someone draws a general conclusion from a limited number of examples. For example, if someone says that all students at a certain school are talented just because they know of a few talented students at that school, this is an example of inductive generalization. It is important to remember that generalized conclusions must be supported by an adequate and representative statistical sample, otherwise it is a logical error.

Betho_br

Here's another question for you:

If the Qur'an is meant for Islamic scholars only to understand, why did Mohamed recite it to the general public?

In accordance with the judgment I have made, according to the magisterium of my religion, I possess the finest translation of my book of faith. Nothing prevents me from interpreting it in my own language, but the "background" of the sacred writings is in another language, which I do not master.

Attachments

• Quran.png
    Quran.png
    55.4 KB · Views: 6

stevecanuck

So why do we care when it's the Qur'an, or the Bible, or any other scripture? Because, we attach greater importance to these works -- but without any particular reason for assuming that greater importance.

We care when following what a holy book commands leads to hatred, death, destruction, and war. Otherwise, I wouldn't give two ****s what they say.

We only go wrong when we accept such works, whether scripture, philosophy, fiction or poetry as holding irrefutable truth ...

And when those who do accept them as holding irrefutable truth follow that 'truth' and kill people.

stevecanuck

In accordance with the judgment I have made, according to the magisterium of my religion, I possess the finest translation of my book of faith. Nothing prevents me from interpreting it in my own language, but the "background" of the sacred writings is in another language, which I do not master.

Uhhhh, okay.