• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Racial Profiling and Arrest rates

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Yes, racial profiling definitely contributes to higher arrest rates among blacks and hispanics.

But considering that blacks and hispanics commit crimes in a disproportional percentage rate, I can understand why cops profile them.

I don't think it's right, but I do understand.
Funny thing is I suspect white collar crime is just as rampant and you don't see too many executives being profiled.

esmith

Veteran Member
Funny thing is I suspect white collar crime is just as rampant and you don't see too many executives being profiled.
White collar crime is the responsibility of the DOJ not your local police dept. Maybe you can explain how you decided that white collar crime is germane to the discussion of "street policing"?

maninthewilderness

optimistic skeptic
You might be surprised.
I'll bet the IRS and the SEC have files on just about every top executive in this nation.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
White collar crime is the responsibility of the DOJ not your local police dept. Maybe you can explain how you decided that white collar crime is germane to the discussion of "street policing"?

Just because corporate crime blends and is less obvious than shoplifting or vandalism (which beat officers are better able to catch), criminal activity like toxic waste dumping in water sources, embezzlement, and insider trading do involve local and federal law enforcement.

We tend to think of white collar crimes as more of the work of opportunists rather than a problem of poverty, lack of religion, lack of discipline, mental disorders, lack of education, or lack of a father figure. And certainly not a matter of race.

I was curious if you were thinking of civil court cases where an individual or group files a complaint to the local DOJ?

esmith

Veteran Member
Just because corporate crime blends and is less obvious than shoplifting or vandalism (which beat officers are better able to catch), criminal activity like toxic waste dumping in water sources, embezzlement, and insider trading do involve local and federal law enforcement.

We tend to think of white collar crimes as more of the work of opportunists rather than a problem of poverty, lack of religion, lack of discipline, mental disorders, lack of education, or lack of a father figure. And certainly not a matter of race.

I was curious if you were thinking of civil court cases where an individual or group files a complaint to the local DOJ?
Nope.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

The fact that it involves police methodology. Why one demographic is targeted while another seems to get a free pass from randomized scrutiny. NYC's Mayor Bloomburg defends random stop and frisk, I say it's a horrendous violation of someone's person and freedom if they just so happen to fit a profile yet had done nothing wrong.

Assad91

Shi'ah Ali
I'd say there is some truth, but I think its played out to be more than what it is. Making it almost as an excuse.

Heres a tip. If you're black, and feel more likely to be harrased by the cops, don't commit any crimes. Or atleast be smart