• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Realtime Spiritual Discussions

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I live in one of the most religious states in the usa. kentucky.

Which is majority christian.

Given that, when I encounter religious folks and they bring up religion or spirituality, I'm all ears and mouth. But I've noticed they really don't engage after I start asking questions about their belief systems. I've yet to meet anyone who has read the whole bible. Might have met one that read it once but otherwise they seem disinterested.

Any ideas of why that might be?

I've read it multiple times, using multiple translations, and still like looking things up in the strong's concordance to insure I know all the definitions of what is being implied.

PureX

Veteran Member

Given that, when I encounter religious folks and they bring up religion or spirituality, I'm all ears and mouth. But I've noticed they really don't engage after I start asking questions about their belief systems. I've yet to meet anyone who has read the whole bible. Might have met one that read it once but otherwise they seem disinterested.

I think that when religion becomes such a big cultural stigmata, as it does in much of the south, 'virtue signaling' becomes the main focus. People will rattle off the right phrases and wear the right emblems and express the right outrage as necessary to reassure everyone else that they're an insider, and that they "belong" to the "us" group. But beyond that they dare not venture for fear of accidentally dropping the mask, and being "found out". Or worse yet, being CALLED out by someone with some ax to grind.

Last edited:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I think that when religion becomes such big a cultural stigmata, as it does in much of the south, 'virtue signaling' becomes the main focus. People will rattle off the right phrases and wear the right emblems and express the right outrage as necessary to reassure everyone else that they're an insider, and that they "belong" to the "us" group. But beyond that they dare not venture for fear of accidentally dropping the mask, and being "found out". Or worse yet, being CALLED out by someone with some ax to grind.

revelation 14:14?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I've read it multiple times, using multiple translations, and still like looking things up in the strong's concordance to insure I know all the definitions of what is being implied.
Evening knows in the south that one fulfills their religious obligations , and for the rest of it, it all about hooch and sports.

Tinkerpeach

Probably because it’s not a typical story.

I consider it more of a study guide and it takes a lifetime of study to comprehend everything in it.

If you can keep interest in reading Genesis and Revelations in depth then my hats off to you.

Niatero

*banned*

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
But I've noticed they really don't engage after I start asking questions about their belief systems.
Others have covered points I might have made. I'll add that most people never question their beliefs. When someone asks such people questions it probably makes them uncomfortable because at some level they know their belief is superficial.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
How long would it take to read the whole Bible?
Let's up this one more - how long would it take to understand the whole Bible?

One of the major problems with book learning is that it is very easy to just mindlessly read flat words on a page without actually understanding anything. Part of why it is so much better to teach with body and action, plays and theatrics, anything that really engages the senses which reading simply does not. One can read an entire dictionary cover to cover but until you're using words in conversations, what good is that? Learning, in general, is hard work.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Let's up this one more - how long would it take to understand the whole Bible?

One of the major problems with book learning is that it is very easy to just mindlessly read flat words on a page without actually understanding anything. Part of why it is so much better to teach with body and action, plays and theatrics, anything that really engages the senses which reading simply does not. One can read an entire dictionary cover to cover but until you're using words in conversations, what good is that? Learning, in general, is hard work.
I've noticed this, and am trying to address this in my life.

Truth be told, I love books. I love to read. I was told one of my first words and actions were to thrust books in the nearest adult's face and demand "READ!" when I was small.

I read mostly books on religion. It struck me recently that there's no point in reading if I don't retain or work with any of it. So I've made a point to slow down and work with each bit before I move on. If I want to read, and I'm not done 'working', I choose another book(its resulted in me reading a lot of books at once, but I'm getting so much more out of things now).

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

Truth be told, I love books. I love to read. I was told one of my first words and actions were to thrust books in the nearest adult's face and demand "READ!" when I was small.

I read mostly books on religion. It struck me recently that there's no point in reading if I don't retain or work with any of it. So I've made a point to slow down and work with each bit before I move on. If I want to read, and I'm not done 'working', I choose another book(its resulted in me reading a lot of books at once, but I'm getting so much more out of things now).
Yes, as a massive book nerd this was an interesting lesson for me to learn as well. Joining the Order of Bards, Ovates, and Druids really smacked that into my head though. Just reading the gwersi won't really do much for you. Gotta actually do the work. Ovate grade was a lot of me actually going outside and talking to trees more regularly. Learned more about trees doing that than I did in my years studying botany from that dry, book learning, scientific perspective for sure.

RestlessSoul

I've been a bookworm all my life. The last few years, the internet has eaten into that somewhat, but I'm happiest when I am surrounded by books, and have one open in my hands. I do of course acknowledge there are other ways of learning. But with regards to books, I find the best are those which yield new secrets with each new reading. So when somebody claims to know and understand everything that's in the Bible, or the Complete Works of Shakespeare, I'm inclined to ask, How many lifetimes have you spent on that?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Reading words is one thing. Interpretation is another. Is the Noah story actual history? Is it a story to illustrate how "at sea" and lost someone feels when their whole world has fallen apart and that the Holy Ghost (dove) helps such people out of their emotional state? (someone I know offered that idea recently).

Bear Wild

This reminds me of the zen quote when the student asks the master how to gain the wisdom of the scriptures and the master says. The scriptures are like a finger pointing towards the moon. He who takes the finger to be the moon, does he have wisdom?

I agree with you about working on it. Reading is just the starting point. It is when we take the reading and allow it to simmer in a cauldron then implement it gives a new meaning.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Love Murray KY, anywhere near Murray.
Perhaps can't engage because their clergy have Not taught them to engage.
If a person just tries to read the Bible as one would read a novel, that would be quite a challenge.
A comprehensive concordance helps put the Bible in ABC order for us by topic or subject arrangement.
So, by taking one subject, or one topic at a time can help give us a clearer picture of what is taught or said.

Bear Wild

Yes, as a massive book nerd this was an interesting lesson for me to learn as well. Joining the Order of Bards, Ovates, and Druids really smacked that into my head though. Just reading the gwersi won't really do much for you. Gotta actually do the work. Ovate grade was a lot of me actually going outside and talking to trees more regularly. Learned more about trees doing that than I did in my years studying botany from that dry, book learning, scientific perspective for sure.
This is so true. In a recent lesson of the new order of druids we were asked to enter a sacred place and give an offering to the elder spirits of the place and learn from them. After opening up to their wisdom the place opened up to me and I learned more about the fern bluff than I have ever learned before. In that time, I became aware of things and connected with things that I had not understood before. It took time to brew on the three cauldrons within me but when it did it was illuminating. It didn't hurt that the bluff gave me the gift of a barred owl feather on leaving then be visited by a barred owl in a tree in my front yard and then to listen to a long conversation between two barred owls in my back porch that evening. It's just wyrd.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Yes.
Because deeply following and practicing a religion is hard work. Most do not have the time to dedicate to it with the notable exceptions being clergy and similar roles within a community.
..... But shouldn't the ' clergy ' be teaching the flock of God.
I find all should keep in mind the words found at Psalm 1:2; Joshua 1:8 to read Scripture daily - 1st Timothy 4:15

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Yes.

Because deeply following and practicing a religion is hard work. Most do not have the time to dedicate to it with the notable exceptions being clergy and similar roles within a community.
Notable exceptions "might" be clergy....

I find it so disheartening that young clergy generally know nothing other than what was taught at seminary. How can they grow in their knowledge when their sermons are dictated by administrative schedule and must be kept within denominational guidelines?