• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

reason for beliveing

Orbital

I don't believe because I don't have a reason to.

(fyi, it's spelled atheist, not 'athiest)

If you want to get into more in depth discussion you would at least have to define what you meant by the symbols 'god'. Otherwise this will be a plethora of different entities, each one of the differently justified, etc.

waitasec

Veteran Member
i have this memory of a sunday school lesson. the teacher read this story about a boy who refused to pray. he was told if he didn't pray something bad might happen to him. he didn't. the next day he woke up to a world that had forgotten about him. his brothers and sisters parents and friends didn't know him anymore...and to top it off, he was invisible...until he conceded to pray to be remembered and seen again.

so what child of god would want to go through that?

Skwim

Veteran Member
i have this memory of a sunday school lesson. the teacher read this story about a boy who refused to pray. he was told if he didn't pray something bad might happen to him. he didn't. the next day he woke up to a world that had forgotten about him. his brothers and sisters parents and friends didn't know him anymore...and to top it off, he was invisible...until he conceded to pray to be remembered and seen again.

As I've mention on RF before, one of the scariest things in my childhood was the 18th century prayer, Now I lay me down to sleep, that instilled a torturous fear that when I went so sleep I could very well die.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
As I've mention on RF before, one of the scariest things in my childhood was the 18th century prayer, Now I lay me down to sleep, that instilled a torturous fear that when I went so sleep I could very well die.
Funny how things affect people differently. That's one of the first things I remember about religion -- and I always found a lot of comfort in that prayer!

solo

So does that mean your reason is fear?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Well, I use "god" when I'm talking about Brahman, Paramatman, and Bhagavan because of convenience, primarily, though when questioned further, I start using those words for clarification.

Brahman is the Supreme Reality, essentially; the complete and total aggregate of all existence. Though I do believe that it is essential consciousness, I do not actually "know" it. (Therefore, of course, I do not try to prove it.)

Paramatman is what we call Brahman when in reference to ourselves. Atman is the word that is used to refer to what we call "soul", though it properly translates as "Self." The Atman is the individualized aspect of Paramatman, though essentially they are the same thing.

Bhagavan is the Personal idea/image/etc. of God that many people, including myself, project onto Brahman.

The reason I do this is primarily because I want to, and I've never come across a reason not to, as long as I try to remain aware that it's not an argument.

Orias

Left Hand Path
What is YOUR reason to believe there is this entity you call god? Or not?

"God" is a distasteful word full of prejudices and inconsistent perogatives.

These perogatives even apply to people who don't believe in what people consider "God", since the term "God" is systematically defined by individuals and partakers.

Essentially, everyone "believes in "God"", even if they don't adhere to the existence of its enitative form, since it is defined by those who belief, lack belief, or deny the existence of such a being.

I don't believe in any supernatural or natural entity described as "God", but I believe in the terminology of "God", which arises from the early Sanskrit word "Hu", which is to mean "to implore, to invoke, to call upon".

The only reasonable explination for there being an "entity" would be us, because we have allowed reason within our minds to believe the "Gods" exist outside of us. Though many do not care to reflect that these "Gods" exist because of our very existence.

We are "God", for a lack of a better term.

waitasec

Veteran Member
So does that mean your reason is fear?

it was most definitely!!
i'm skeptical about people who have been taught this idea since childhood about hell, or gods retribution for disobedience, who grow up making decisions based on the ideals against ones integrity and self respect only because an ultimatum was presented

solo

it was most definitely!!
i'm skeptical about people who have been taught this idea since childhood about hell, or gods retribution for disobedience, who grow up making decisions based on the ideals against ones integrity and self respect only because an ultimatum was presented

Thank you for your reply.
I'm not trying to be a smart a##
I was raised catholic until I rejected it at about 14, many many decades ago. Since then, until this medium became available I haven't had much opportunity to discuss religion.
So now I am only seeking info and or opinion. I am not seeking to be "saved".
I have the JW come to my door frequently, and I don't agree with there point of view.
Now I have discovered this avenue for discussion, and am interested in other views.
There appears to be many which I am not aware.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Thank you for your reply.
I'm not trying to be a smart a##
I was raised catholic until I rejected it at about 14, many many decades ago. Since then, until this medium became available I haven't had much opportunity to discuss religion.
So now I am only seeking info and or opinion. I am not seeking to be "saved".
I have the JW come to my door frequently, and I don't agree with there point of view.
Now I have discovered this avenue for discussion, and am interested in other views.
There appears to be many which I am not aware.

emphasis mine...
then i suggest being more specific...
:)

btw, welcome to the forum

lunamoth

Will to love
In this forum and in typical Western dialogue these days the word 'belief,' with respect to that which seeks the divine and celebrates the numinous, is corrupted beyond use. It's used as an ad hominem.

Don't bother with it here.

InChrist

Free4ever

I believe in God the Creator of heaven and earth because He is real, trustworthy, and all-powerful. When I called to Him for answers He responded. It makes sense to me to look for wisdom and direction from the Creator of the universe who knows all things rather than depend on my limited knowledge.

lilmama1991

I believe jehovah is the father because i read a scripture with jesus saying my father is greater than I and not only that jehovah created the earth.