• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reasons for the belief in no God

Subby

It is if you're asking me why I don't believe in it. You're supposed to give the argument for why I should believe in it. Then I'll give you my reasons for why I don't.

No. If your position is so readily acceptable and logical, there should be some pretty good reasons why God does not exist. So please let me in on your reasons.

St Giordano Bruno

What are your reasons for believing that there is no God? I don't want you to prove a negative, I want you to give me a reasonable argument that shows there is not logical possibility for God.

If I can prove one supernatural being exists such as a fairy or a ghost I would have something to go by to argue for the existence of even greater supernatural being such as God but since I can find no evidence of even one supernatural being, even one as humble as the tooth fairy I have to assume there are none. I just adopt the view if it can happen naturally it can happen again but if it can never happen naturally such as unicorns running around on the surface of the moon it will never happen.

ellenjanuary

I prefer the definition from the Book of Job: god is beyond understanding. So when people try to tell me about god, I realize they are trying to make me understand something that by definition cannot be god.

Subby

If I can prove one supernatural being exists such as a fairy or a ghost I would have something to go by to argue for the existence of even greater supernatural being such as God but since I can find no evidence of even one supernatural being, even one as humble as the tooth fairy I have to assume there are none. I just adopt the view if it can happen naturally it can happen again but if it can never happen naturally such as unicorns running around on the surface of the moon it will never happen.

In what way is a fairy or unicorn equal to a Creator? In other words why are you arguing for the non existence of something that was/could of have been created? We are addressing the Creator not creation. Fairies or unicorn or whatever are not equal in characteristics, thus your analogy is flawed.

gnomon

It has been defined now step up to the plate please... What logical reasoning is there to determine that there is no God?

If that's all you are going by then what you are asking is for a logical argument against the existence of something eternal and beyond temporal measurement. Human beings are temporal. We can neither prove nor disprove the existence of something perfect in power, wisdom and goodness that created and rules the universe. There is no physical evidence of such a being.

Hell, the meaning of the terms perfect, power, wisdom and goodness begged to be defined now.

However, I've known few people who posit this God.

Tristesse

In what way is a fairy or unicorn equal to a Creator? In other words why are you arguing for the non existence of something that was/could of have been created? We are addressing the Creator not creation. Fairies or unicorn or whatever are not equal in characteristics, thus your analogy is flawed.

Do you believe in Zues? If not, why not?

Subby

If that's all you are going by then what you are asking is for a logical argument against the existence of something eternal and beyond temporal measurement. Human beings are temporal. We can neither prove nor disprove the existence of something perfect in power, wisdom and goodness that created and rules the universe. There is no physical evidence of such a being.

Hell, the meaning of the terms perfect, power, wisdom and goodness begged to be defined now.

However, I've known few people who posit this God.

Because you can't see God, then He does not exist? Do you believe in air or gravity?

Just look at the suffering we all experience? I've a B-I-L crippled with MS; in severe pain; he sucks tea through a straw that someone has to hold for him. He urinates through a catheter and I don't know how he defecates; but I suspect it's into a diaper.

He's been a fairly decent bloke, has two young children, paid his taxes; never murdered, raped, or stolen (well maybe he's done a little of that; but nothing serious).

Why would a loving God inflict that sort of stuff - or allow it to happen - on him or his family?

Subby

Just look at the suffering we all experience? I've a B-I-L crippled with MS; in severe pain; he sucks tea through a straw that someone has to hold for him. He urinates through a catheter and I don't know how he defecates; but I suspect it's into a diaper.

He's been a fairly decent bloke, has two young children, paid his taxes; never murdered, raped, or stolen (well maybe he's done a little of that; but nothing serious).

Why would a loving God inflict that sort of stuff - or allow it to happen - on him or his family?

If I address this argument it would assume the existence of God. Thus, it is beyond the topic.