• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reasons why you sometimes hate getting involved in a debate thread?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
The bottom line is, there are shades and degrees of right and wrong. Binary thinking is close minded.

Just asking....
Would binary thinking be similar to...."this OR that"....?

Some discussions work well that way.
And some threads are tedious because participants won't get off the fence.
They might have to concede a portion of their belief as they do so.

Other discussions don't work at all "this OR that"......
As you say, for some things...gray is the only color at hand.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Just asking....
Would binary thinking be similar to...."this OR that"....?

Some discussions work well that way.
And some threads are tedious because participants won't get off the fence.
They might have to concede a portion of their belief as they do so.

Other discussions don't work at all "this OR that"......
As you say, for some things...gray is the only color at hand.

Many times debates have little to do with facts. "Facts" can be subjective.

On the surface, one would believe it should be simple to reach a conclusion until you view things from a different perspective.

Any action affects different people in different ways.

Simplifying taxes sounds wonderful on the surface unless you are a CPA or work for the IRS or are a tax prepairer.

This is just an example, lets not get on a tangent.

Many times, data is skewed in favor of the results the so called fact checker wants to achieve.

How many RF members actually believe everything FOX news says for example. Try backing up everything you heard on that show with hard facts. :facepalm:

How many people who understand what I just said cannot see the bias of MSNBC however?

When you like what you hear, it must be true right?

When you finally get to the point where you can see that everyone and everything is bull crap to one degree or another or at least get to the point where you realise your trusted sources are some times wrong, your truth as you know is jaded at best.

If you disagree with me, then you must think you possess perfect logic and your sources are unbiased. :slap:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Many times debates have little to do with facts. "Facts" can be subjective.

On the surface, one would believe it should be simple to reach a conclusion until you view things from a different perspective.

Any action affects different people in different ways.

Simplifying taxes sounds wonderful on the surface unless you are a CPA or work for the IRS or are a tax prepairer.

This is just an example, lets not get on a tangent.

Many times, data is skewed in favor of the results the so called fact checker wants to achieve.

How many RF members actually believe everything FOX news says for example. Try backing up everything you heard on that show with hard facts. :facepalm:

How many people who understand what I just said cannot see the bias of MSNBC however?

When you like what you hear, it must be true right?

When you finally get to the point where you can see that everyone and everything is bull crap to one degree or another or at least get to the point where you realise your trusted sources are some times wrong, your truth as you know is jaded at best.

If you disagree with me, then you must think you possess perfect logic and your sources are unbiased. :slap:

Drew the line in the wrong spot.
Disagreement would put the line between us.

Perfect logic and lack of bias would put us side by side.

That would one of those.....it is....or it isn't....kind of things.

Sure, anything in print was printed by someone else.
And the bulk of material will have perspective, bias, and agenda problems.

That's why we're here at the forum.
Sorting through the piles.....

Splarnst

How about you collect for that one while I collect for the times people say Wiccans worship trees or rocks and such. ;)
And I'll take a penny for every time someone says atheism is a religion or that it requires more faith than theism!

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
And I'll take a penny for every time someone says atheism is a religion or that it requires more faith than theism!

I don't know about all that, but if no one believed there was a God, how could there be Atheists?

Think about it, I don't believe in many things but there is no title for them.

Santa comes to mind, many children believe in Santa. Why don't we call older children A-Santa's?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't know about all that, but if no one believed there was a God, how could there be Atheists?
Santa comes to mind, many children believe in Santa. Why don't we call older children A-Santa's?
I'm also an asantist.

As for "debate" threads.....some are just riddled with personal bickering. That's the worst for me.
Sincerely held bigotry & loopy beliefs are tolerable.

Last edited:

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I'm also an asantist.

As for "debate" threads.....some are just riddled with personal bickering. That's the worst for me.
Sincerely held bigotry & loopy beliefs are tolerable.

Thats the stupidest thing I have ever heard you ignorant poopie head! You need to think like I do. I possess perfect logic and my sources are pure as the driven snow.

How dare you challenge my superior intelligence? I need to explain things to you better.

[/just joking]:p

Enlighten

I left the site previously due to this as I am not as articulate and well versed as some and felt inadequate at times when giving my opinions. I see now that it was an immature approach to take however and that everyone deserves "air time" no matter their opinion. There will always be some that think they "are" or "have the ultimate answer" but most are just here to debate and there is no shame in not knowing and answer. :)

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Other debate tactics include, asking for sources when you know damn well you are going to find fault with the source because of course you disagree with it.

Ignore direct questions while asking more questions of your own.

Create a straw man or move the goal posts

Accuse your opponent of holding a position they do not hold

Dismiss and label them

Demonise them.

nnmartin

"Arguments" like this. ^ :areyoucra

When people just disregard your answer , explanation or view because they do not agree with it, can't understand it or do not like it is also poor.

Perhaps if you ask the same question 100 times you may finally get your perfect response - I think you have another 57 chances.:faint:

Splarnst

You owe me a penny.

blackout

Violet.
eh. I hate arguing.

I've endured so much of it at home.
I come here to unwind,
and contemplate.
Be creative.

Nichole_R

I feel some people don't get what I'm saying. Also I don't feel very happy when a good thread develops into blind arguments because of some users deliberately fouling the conversation.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I feel some people don't get what I'm saying. Also I don't feel very happy when a good thread develops into blind arguments because of some users deliberately fouling the conversation.

And when all else fails, resort to off topic personal insults. :run: