• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Recommend me some good, recent adult fantasy/sci-fi... and manga

Ðanisty

I didn't notice any posts about manga, so;

If you're into adult sci-fi, you should check out Gantz (the manga, not the anime. For the record, most anime are cheap, amateurish retellings of comics.) Gantz is a violent series with a ridiculous premise, straight out of the snuff phase of Japanese media, but there's humanity at the core of the story. Berserk might be worth checking out - it's an extremely adult manga taking place in something like medieval Europe.

One Piece is probably my favorite comic series ever, although its more teen-oriented.
Berserk is awesome!

Trey of Diamonds

I'll second the Heinlein suggestion ("Stranger In A Strange Land" is a must-read) and add John Wyndham and Ray Bradbury (the latter's "Martian Chronicles" is a classic).

Yep, Heinlein is the best although far from recent. I recommend "I Will Fear No Evil" and "Glory Road". Both are sci-fi but Glory Road has a fantasy feel to it. I Will Fear No Evil was my introduction to lesbianism at the tender age of 13. Some very advanced concepts, (especially sexually), in that book let me tell you.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I haven't read all the recommendations, but if it hasn't already been mentioned, the Sword of Shannara series by Terry Brooks is an excellent, LOTRs-type fantasy series.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
Though it's not adult and more for teens(because it's an easy read) I recommend Sabriel, Lirael, and Abhorsen by Garth Nix, good story about magic, and Necromancy.

MotoEric

I'm not being facetious when I say that I am ASTONISHED that nobody has mentioned George RR Martins 'A Song of Fire and Ice' series.

Absolutely 'adult' fantasy. Not for kids. The only drawback is that he is a bit slow in getting to the next book (which I am eagerly awaiting), but it's hard to complain when the quality is so high.

They are in preproduction for an HBO series based on the novels, they have won most fantasy awards, have spawned a card game, a role playing game, minted coins, artwork, miniatures and more.

Check it out.

Eric

nutshell

Stephen Kings' The Dark Tower series is the BEST SERIES EVER.

HP can't hold a candle to it (well, maybe it can, but I like DT better).

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
I'm not being facetious when I say that I am ASTONISHED that nobody has mentioned George RR Martins 'A Song of Fire and Ice' series.{snip}
Check it out.

Eric
Eric -

Mr. Martin's stuff always comes across to me as just a bit heavy-handed........personal preference only, of course.