• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reincarnation

Madsaac

Definitely a different human. Sometimes we also switch gender and/or nationality

Just a couple curious questions.

Do you actually believe you were someone else? If so how does this actually happen?

And does it really matter, if you can't remember who you were?

Thanks

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
Just a couple curious questions.

Do you actually believe you were someone else? If so how does this actually happen?

Thanks
You can't remember previous lives only while living this life - ie your brain does not remember since it has no memory cells from previous lives. However, the soul remembers all your lives. So in between lives as well as after all your lives on Earth are over, you will remember everything from the beginning. You may want to read this webpage: Heaven, Hell and the AfterLife

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
If you did remember you would be overwhelmed by prior life memories and unable to function in this one. You might for example see your spouse as having been a parent, a child, a business associate etc from prior lives.

Young children often do have those memories but they fade. And sometimes they have a birthmark in this life and remember a wound in that spot from another.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Reincarnation usually implies being born again as a human. Buddhists believe in the possibility of being born as an animal - that is usually referred to as transmigration of a soul rather than reincarnation.

I am a Hindu and I believe I was a human in my last life and will be a human again in my next.
Definitely a different human. Sometimes we also switch gender and/or nationality
Why do you dismiss the possibility of being reincarnated as a different species while accepting the possibility crossing gender or national lines?

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
Why do you dismiss the possibility of being reincarnated as a different species while accepting the possibility crossing gender or national lines?
That's what most Hindus believe. It is not something I decided by myself. But if you want a logical explanation - the process of reincarnation and multiple rebirths is a process of growth and evolution - after each rebirth we learn new things and become more developed.

Being reborn as another species would be a regression and just defeating the purpose. However miserable or painful the human condition may be, we as a species are more developed and evolved than any other species on this planet.

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
I am glad to see nationality is not an issue for you. A system of spirituality which observed national borders is too weird to contemplate.
You usually do have a say in which gender and nationality you will be reborn as - so most people may choose to be reborn with the same gender and nationality.

But sometimes we don't have a choice. If you are a hater of women or mistreat them in this life or if you are a racist, the chances of being compelled to be reborn as the object of your hate are quite high - this is so that you can fulfill your karma of this life.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
That's what most Hindus believe. It is not something I decided by myself. But if you want a logical explanation - the process of reincarnation and multiple rebirths is a process of growth and evolution - after each rebirth we learn new things and become more developed.

Being reborn as another species would be a regression and just defeating the purpose. However miserable or painful the human condition may be, we as a species are more developed and evolved than any other species on this planet.
I don't see humans as being more grown or evolved than other species; others have grown and evolved along with them, and I certainly don't being reborn as another species as a regression. In fact, I see it as an opportunity for growth. Do you think there is nothing of value to be learned in living the life of a raven, a dolphin, or a wolf?

rocala

You usually do have a say in which gender and nationality you will be reborn as - so most people may choose to be reborn with the same gender and nationality.

But sometimes we don't have a choice. If you are a hater of women or mistreat them in this life or if you are a racist, the chances of being compelled to be reborn as the object of your hate are quite high
Yes, I can understand having to confront ones faults by coming back as a woman for example but why would you be concerned about nationality?
A system that can recognize our racism and sexism is just as capable of detecting our less obvious flaws. I really don't think we have much, if any choice in this.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Yes, I can understand having to confront ones faults by coming back as a woman for example but why would you be concerned about nationality?
A system that can recognize our racism and sexism is just as capable of detecting our less obvious flaws. I really don't think we have much, if any choice in this.
Think of truly having soul mates. Another soul that completes you -- "your own" Adam and Eve connection -- not a life partner in a worldly sense, but a soul partner. Perhaps this soul partner's karma is taking them into a specific life path, so your life path is designed to be intertwined in some significant way to help them succeed -- and vice-versa. Perhaps the soul that was your best buddy in Napoleon's army was your guru in the 1930s, and will be your mother in the 23rd century, and so on. Another perspective on " ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’ " Also another perspective on "Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?" LOL You just never know who you're truly dealing with!

rocala

Think of truly having soul mates. Another soul that completes you -- "your own" Adam and Eve connection -- not a life partner in a worldly sense, but a soul partner. Perhaps this soul partner's karma is taking them into a specific life path, so your life path is designed to be intertwined in some significant way to help them succeed -- and vice-versa. Perhaps the soul that was your best buddy in Napoleon's army was your guru in the 1930s, and will be your mother in the 23rd century, and so on. Another perspective on " ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’ " Also another perspective on "Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?" LOL You just never know who you're truly dealing with!
Yes Spice I can think of such things but I do not see choice as a requirement. Looking at much that goes on I feel that if choice was there, we would muck it up. The idea of choice is not a part of my tradition.

How is a person’s rebirth decided?​

A person’s rebirth is dependent on their previous thoughts and actions. Each intentional action, good or bad, gives rise to karma/kamma. Good karma will allow for a good rebirth and vice versa.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Yes Spice I can think of such things but I do not see choice as a requirement. Looking at much that goes on I feel that if choice was there, we would muck it up. The idea of choice is not a part of my tradition.

How is a person’s rebirth decided?​

A person’s rebirth is dependent on their previous thoughts and actions. Each intentional action, good or bad, gives rise to karma/kamma. Good karma will allow for a good rebirth and vice versa.
I agree, the individual soul does not have a say in the "earned requirements" of the next chapter, just that there's a possibility it's not 100% tied to the "one" soul of self. I think we are used as lessons as well as taught lessons for our own advancement.

Balthazzar

N. Germanic Descent
What animal or human were you in a prior life if you adhere to such beliefs and what makes you feel this?

I was my dad before my mom took over, then after mom was done I became me, then the world began it's influence and now I'm different than I was when I was born. Before I was my dad, I suppose I was my grandfather and my grandmother, and before that I was my grandfather, etc. Ive been born again more times than I could ever possibly recall or care to look into, but I came (haha) from Scandinavia and North Germany as far as I'm able to know, so.

Have a nice day

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
You do know that humans evolved from animals, right?
Why are you conflating evolution and reincarnation? Is there linear time beyond what is perceived in transactional reality?

Anyway, it was my mistake to engage with you, you are strange.
Here I thought we were having a good discussion. Do you make it a practice to throw insults at people that think differently than you do? How has that been working for you?

I will put you on ignore.
Good luck with that. :yellowheart:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
At least some of these are to me reincarnation memories. Some others are precognition. 30 Creepy Things Kids Have Said That May Keep You Up At Night

My half brother has a very particular name, his father had an older brother who died at a very young age with the same name, (my brother was named after him) when my brother was 3-4yo he looked straight into his dad eyes and said “daddy do you remember when I was older than you​
and we played together, then I fall asleep and now I’m younger”.​
My four year old daughter says that before she was born she was a ghost, and when she was a ghost she would spy on us because she couldn’t wait to be alive and living with us.​
My two year old saw me organizing my basketball cards. He tottered over and said “when I was big, I used to buy those for you.”​
My dad bought me those cards, 25 years ago, shortly before he passed away.​
'I don't like it here, Mommy...I want to go back to the planet I came from.' (my 3 yr old says to me, with a big sigh).​

Balthazzar

N. Germanic Descent
At least some of these are to me reincarnation memories. Some others are precognition. 30 Creepy Things Kids Have Said That May Keep You Up At Night

My half brother has a very particular name, his father had an older brother who died at a very young age with the same name, (my brother was named after him) when my brother was 3-4yo he looked straight into his dad eyes and said “daddy do you remember when I was older than you​
and we played together, then I fall asleep and now I’m younger”.​
My four year old daughter says that before she was born she was a ghost, and when she was a ghost she would spy on us because she couldn’t wait to be alive and living with us.​
My two year old saw me organizing my basketball cards. He tottered over and said “when I was big, I used to buy those for you.”​
My dad bought me those cards, 25 years ago, shortly before he passed away.​
'I don't like it here, Mommy...I want to go back to the planet I came from.' (my 3 yr old says to me, with a big sigh).​
Maybe star seed people. They, like the rest of the human race are in need of guidance, too. Can you count how many things you learned from a child? The ebb and flow of communication and guidance is present in everything.